Teams cup tie a player!

So January 1st was coming up and after scouting Steven Taylor for a good few months i decided he was the right man for my defence, young, hungry, ambitious - i put my bid in and it was accepted, i was then asked to offer him a contract, which i did - met all his demands and knew he was keen to sign THEN whilst he was away thinking about my contract offer, FA Cup Round 3 came along, Newcastle were drawn at home to Wrexham (not exactly a tricky tie) and what do they do..........put Steven Taylor on the bench and bring him on in the 83rd minute thus meaning he is now cup tied in future rounds for me.

Sure enough, a day or two after the game he accepts my offer and signs but now i can't play him in the cup.

Could SI not add in a feature to request a team doesn't play a player (who you're in talks with) in cup competitions to avoid him being cup tied - they could refuse but then run the risk of teams pulling out the deal or accept and not play him.

it's definitely a risk you have to take. But that happens IRL as well: look at G.Barry, even if he transfers eventually to Liverpool, he cannot play for them in the champion's league as he played in the UEFA cup for Villa. And all parties were aware of this.

IMHO, what you should have done in this case is bid for him before the start of the transfer window so that his transfer went through on the first day of January.

it's definitely a risk you have to take. But that happens IRL as well: look at G.Barry, even if he transfers eventually to Liverpool, he cannot play for them in the champion's league as he played in the UEFA cup for Villa. And all parties were aware of this.

IMHO, what you should have done in this case is bid for him before the start of the transfer window so that his transfer went through on the first day of January.

Just as an aside, I believe Barry would only be cup-tied for the group stages. He'd be available to play in the knock-out stages.

Yeah i know it happens in real life but like i said in the original post - have an option to request not to play the player so he doesn't get injured/cup tied etc - the selling club might agree to not play him so not to cause any problems with the deal. Only recently, in real life, we (Reading) sold Nicky Shorey to Aston Villa and Villa asked us not to play him in the final friendly so not to get him injured etc - so we didn't.

and? the point IS that Gareth Barry can play if he moves clubs even though hes played for villa because there is a second registration phase after the group stages etc

I didnt say that the registration on fm was spot on. All i said was that fm players should know that there is an other registration phase after the group stages. The link to the bbc provided by Gauvner confirms this

on ginger roys point i dont think a team would take kindly to you asking for them to not play a star play agianst you :)

on ginger roys point i dont think a team would take kindly to you asking for them to not play a star play agianst you :)

:) maybe not against me but if they've agreed to let the player go and he's in contract talks with another club surely you wouldn't play him anyway, incase of injury thus screwing the whole deal up....

Yeah i know it happens in real life but like i said in the original post - have an option to request not to play the player so he doesn't get injured/cup tied etc - the selling club might agree to not play him so not to cause any problems with the deal. Only recently, in real life, we (Reading) sold Nicky Shorey to Aston Villa and Villa asked us not to play him in the final friendly so not to get him injured etc - so we didn't.

It's a bit of a different scenario, isn't it? That was a friendly- and on top of that, a friendly AGAINST Villa. Us playing him wouldn't definately rule him out of matches.

It's still a cup. As cup competitions go it is the number 1, but the league is always my No. 1 priority whatever my club and whatever league I'm in. Cups, be they domestic or European can do take a long run off a short pier in general. That's not to say I don't try to win them, but I don't feel as though I've achieved anything until I've won my league title.

Archived