Will we get realistic player and staff attributes in FM 2009?

Not sure about how it was at other Clubs as I always play as the Hammers but some player and staff stats have been totally unrealistic and poor for West Ham in FM 2008, although I do have to concede that SI's measly transfer budget prediction seems to have been correct!!

Players such as Ashton, Green, Parker and Noble certainly had some odd attributes and despite Curbs blooding some of the youngsters like Sears, Collison and Tomkins if you play them in the seniors in 2008 you are asking for trouble!! As for West Ham's staff!!! Well it certainly would be a nice change to stick with most of the staff for a while rather than sack them and bring in some that actually make up your 7 stars. I mean West Ham's youth set up and coaching has been considered one of the best in recent years yet the coach attributes in the game are very poor.

In truth it improved a tad post patch but will some of the researchers have a little more knowledge this time around?

Any other Clubs as bad as this?

Sorry if in wrong forum..

If one would know the perfect realistic attributes for every top level player, he would not work for SI as a resercher but work for Real Madrid as a scout with a big fat pay-roll. I think SI does it right by using hundreds of reserachers and allowing them to edit players with in the given limits. Obviously none of us will agree with every single player but player rating is a subjective matter and if it bothers you a lot you can always use editor and modify them as you wish.

Not sure about how it was at other Clubs as I always play as the Hammers but some player and staff stats have been totally unrealistic and poor for West Ham in FM 2008, although I do have to concede that SI's measly transfer budget prediction seems to have been correct!!

I'd have to disagree and say that some of West Hams players seem over-rated if anything. Ashton's yet to prove he'll be any good but ususally becomes world class quite quickly on FM. Same goes for players such as Anton Ferdinand and Noble.

despite Curbs blooding some of the youngsters like Sears, Collison and Tomkins if you play them in the seniors in 2008 you are asking for trouble!!

Perhaps Curbs is just a better manager than you are and can fit the youngsters into his team, tactically, without it effecting performances too much?

As for West Ham's staff!!! Well it certainly would be a nice change to stick with most of the staff for a while rather than sack them and bring in some that actually make up your 7 stars. I mean West Ham's youth set up and coaching has been considered one of the best in recent years yet the coach attributes in the game are very poor.

This part I do slightly agree on. West Ham have got a fantastic record for producing youngsters with high potential, and this should be reflected in the game in that they get a higher percentage of high PA youngsters coming through than some other clubs. However, should they start off with 7 star coaches? Have most ex West Ham players not moved onto bigger clubs before reaching thier full potential?

There may be some problems with the data, I don't know as I don't know a great deal about West Ham and haven't really played with them. It sounds to me though that you view them as being better than they actually are in real life.

I'd have to disagree and say that some of West Hams players seem over-rated if anything. Ashton's yet to prove he'll be any good but ususally becomes world class quite quickly on FM. Same goes for players such as Anton Ferdinand and Noble.

Perhaps Curbs is just a better manager than you are and can fit the youngsters into his team, tactically, without it effecting performances too much?

This part I do slightly agree on. West Ham have got a fantastic record for producing youngsters with high potential, and this should be reflected in the game in that they get a higher percentage of high PA youngsters coming through than some other clubs. However, should they start off with 7 star coaches? Have most ex West Ham players not moved onto bigger clubs before reaching thier full potential?

There may be some problems with the data, I don't know as I don't know a great deal about West Ham and haven't really played with them. It sounds to me though that you view them as being better than they actually are in real life.

You might be possibly right after all I am a fan!!!

I actually suspect that the stats were more unrealistic with regard to last season more than this. It's the potential rather that the current ability that I found suspect. Whilst I agree to an extent on what you say Ashton for instance certainly before his injury had an awful lot of potential, although I have now found a thread explaining that Ashton was scoring an unrealistic amount of goals in testing last year which explains why he was lowered on the stats side which was fair enough. I also agree with you about Anton. That's my point really. Ferdinand is great in the game yer IRL Upson is far better but Upson is one I always tend to get rid of early. Also Richard Wright seemed a better keeper than Robert Green???? Whilst I understand it's tough for researchers to get it right with youth players surely high profle player like those mentioned above should be easy to not get wrong.

You might be possibly right after all I am a fan!!!

I actually suspect that the stats were more unrealistic with regard to last season more than this. It's the potential rather that the current ability that I found suspect. Whilst I agree to an extent on what you say Ashton for instance certainly before his injury had an awful lot of potential, although I have now found a thread explaining that Ashton was scoring an unrealistic amount of goals in testing last year which explains why he was lowered on the stats side which was fair enough. I also agree with you about Anton. That's my point really. Ferdinand is great in the game yer IRL Upson is far better but Upson is one I always tend to get rid of early. Also Richard Wright seemed a better keeper than Robert Green???? Whilst I understand it's tough for researchers to get it right with youth players surely high profle player like those mentioned above should be easy to not get wrong.

Yeah you might be right there, as I sayI don't know that much about West Ham. In all honesty the only way to get these issues addressed is to post them in the apropriate data issues thread. You might even get a response from the West Ham researcher and hopefully be able to find out from him why certain players have been given the ratings they have.

• SI Staff
Yeah you might be right there, as I sayI don't know that much about West Ham. In all honesty the only way to get these issues addressed is to post them in the apropriate data issues thread. You might even get a response from the West Ham researcher and hopefully be able to find out from him why certain players have been given the ratings they have.

That is the best thing to do and the correct place to raise any issues with the data

Archived