Who is the most deluded manager here?

I'm quite sure there are plenty of you far more deluded than me, but I'll set the initial bar!

First season at Scunthorpe - first few months we were great at home and abysmal away. We finally won an away game and reached 9th, I thought we might have a bash at the play-offs, but then we lost 8 games in a row to drop to 17th. Now, having finally ended that run and having won 2 home games with a draw at Colchester (that I felt we should have won) inbetween and now having just run for the hills with a totally undeserved 0-0 draw at league leaders West Brom to make it 4 unbeaten I am still (on the quiet!) harbouring outside hopes that we can close the ~15 point gap up to the play-offs despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. There are ~12 games left I think so I reckon it would be best for me to keep my ambitions under my hat lest the fans think I am a total nutcase and the board have me sectioned :)

In that ridiculous way that FM has of keep reeling you in though, despite being really frustrated at all those defeats that I couldn't stop I find myself heading home from work tonight with a childish excitement and anticipation just because we drew 0-0 at West Brom before I left for work this morning! :D

Oh man, sometimes when I've had a string of bad results I don't even dare to load up the save game when I get home.

I simply don't save ... and hope the game somehow, by mysterious powers, crashes. So I have a legitimate excuse to start an older save, where the sun still shines and the wins keep coming ;-)

It usually doesn't, though :-( So I'm usually forced to make that turnaround myself. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but I consider myself good enough to at least not relegate :-P

My biggest delusion is always getting Southampton back in the Prem each time! We are not good enough personally to challenge for a promotion place that when it does happens it's a nice surprise and I have alot of work on my hands to keep us in the division, never normally pays off despite getting a fair few decent players on frees or cheap. I once signed Hernan Crespo on a free once who was my top scorer and thanks to him alone I stayed in the Prem, SOMEHOW!

Well, the game proved me to be very much deluded. In one of those strange freaks of the league table we somehow managed to hold the 15th place we had gained despite losing 3 on the bounce to end our short unbeaten revival. Now, in a strange sense of deja vu, I closed down my game this morning to rush out to work with Scunthorpe having just ended that run with a gutsy 1-1 draw at high-flying Palace. I didn't see when they equalised because I was in a rush, but we took the lead quite late on so could perhaps have won...ah well, I'm just waiting for next season since we're in no danger of either promotion or relegation this year. Probably not next year either given our recent defending!

I have to be the most deluded manager here. In 2018 I took over VFB and managed to get them out of relegation and into a European spot in half a season, thinking I was the messiah I decided to get rid of a majority of the squad who had done so well and really make a team of my own for the new season with the hope of pushing Bayern for the league. I brought in an entirely new first team with an average age of 22, and told the board i'd challenge for the title (thinking I was brilliant). We're currently in 12th place, out of both cups and out of Europe :mad:

Aye, I didn't tell the board I thought I'd get promotion, although I did opt for the transfer funds allowed to me for saying we'd finish mid table rather than the board's lowest expectation of fighting relegation. Board are pleased with me at the moment so it looks like I escaped with that one for this season at least, despite the fans bellyaching about some of my signings, even a loanee whos wages are being paid by his Premiership club - some people just love to moan!

BELIEVING i could honestly win the SPL with inverness on their first season up.

It started well and we were up there. I believed this was getting more posible by the minute.

35 game of the season. Inverness sat top of the table with rangers 3 points behind.

Celtic beat us and rangers(managed by my dad) win there game

Both teams sit level on points and both go on to win there next game

Last game of the season:( you guessed it away to rangers. It was a tight afair and in the end rangers scored IMHO a clear ofside could. I should have known the game wouldnt let me win the league 1st season up lol To this day I still say it was a conpsiracy

Archived