Do Manager wages matter? A short experiment.

So, English league only, premiership only. Arsenal and Liverpool both edited to have 9000 reputation. Arsenal are managed by Mr Poor, on £100 a week. Liverpool by Mr Rich, on £500,000 a week. Both managers have identical stats.

I'm going to lose every game (post-friendlies) and see if Mr Rich hangs on for much longer than Mr Poor.

Flaws: Can't edit chairman. Who we lose against may affect things.

edit: Last second change - both managers given 5 year deals.

So, English league only, premiership only. Arsenal and Liverpool both edited to have 9000 reputation. Arsenal are managed by Mr Poor, on £100 a week. Liverpool by Mr Rich, on £500,000 a week. Both managers have identical stats.

I'm going to lose every game (post-friendlies) and see if Mr Rich hangs on for much longer than Mr Poor.

Flaws: Can't edit chairman. Who we lose against may affect things.

edit: Last second change - both managers given 5 year deals.

Cool, good idea.

This would be better off in the chalenge sign up and expirement forum.

Ah your probably right. It's more a quick test of a game mechanic stemming form a discussion here though. Mod's call i guess?

The problem i see here is that there maybe other random data that could be influencing the decision to sack you (wther you be M.Rich or Mr Poor): are you sure your experiment will cover it all? Otherwise the point is a bit moot. Sorry if i rained on your parade.

The point is that Liverpool's manager should keep his job for a lot longer than Arsenals, so much longer that pretty much no other factors should outweigh it. I know it's flawed, but if Arsenal's boss is fired first (dispite havign a more forgiving chairman, and now me accidently letting them qualify for the CL when liverpool crashed out) it'll show that the compensation due kept him in his job... Especially if Mr Rich isn't even under pressure by the time the Arsenal boss goes.

Okay, it all came to an early end when Mr Rich was fired...

Seems even with near identical results, one extra defeat is a bigger problem than 500k a week wage difference.

Perhaps this "feature" needs to be tweaked a little? Or maybe it only affects smaller clubs?

Maybe this would work better if you were to put in a manager at a poor & tiny club and make him earn a lot of money (and one that doesn't). Might make more of a difference. Glamdring's probably right that Arsenal and Liverpool are not going to take this kind of compensation into account.

Archived