Importing past version games into FM'09?

I know I will probably stir up something with this thread, but I do want to share my personal opinion. I would very much appreciate the ability to import saved games from past versions into the newest version of FM. As many of us do, I spend time getting invested in a team, a manager, players (I use fictional players only), a history, a gameworld... but would like to take advantage of the new and improved features that come with every annual release of the new FM version. I have to admit that it's a dilemma when forced to decide between sticking with an old version and a great saved game (and not buying the new version) and upgrading to a great new version but losing my previous game. Am I alone on this? Often, the old version wins out over the new upgrade.

I know there would be issues with upgraded real players, teams, et cetera, but in a game with fictional players and a history, is this impossible? I'm talking about just importing the old save game into the new version and carrying on the game from there, with all the advantages of the new and improved game features of the newest version. It's not uncommon in other sports management sims.

* Is this something that would appeal to my fellow managers?

* Is this something that would generate sales to people who might otherwise not upgrade (in order to keep with an old save game)?

* Is there some 500-post thread on this in the forum that I just couldn't find?

It's a shame there's not a conversion that can be created to bring the players & into the new version. In other sports management sims that offer this feature, there's a conversion that takes place, makes those minor changes necessary for it to work in the new version. Sometimes there's a bit of an imperfection, but in general people are happy with the opportunity to continue a game and buy and enjoy the upgraded version.

(If it's been discussed before, I'll try again to search out those threads.)

Yep, I'd love to play cm00/01 with all the features of fm08, I posted a thread about it on the old cm games forum, all they said was "Have you tried cm01/02?".

"they" can be quite nasty and cruel, can't they?

I don't think that's such a great idea. I mean if you really wanted to keep on playing your game, it's not the amount of GBs it takes on your hard drive that would stop you from running both at the same time (well not exactly at the same time but you know what I mean).

Yes, "they", can!

Its not that. its just that I like cm00/01 because its got better playable clubs, I feel, but I can't get into it because the features are so poor and can't even think how I could play a game like it again. I suppose I'm too used to the good life.

It's not the databases that are the real problem - unless the types of attributes are altered between games - but the hard-coded stuff such as league rules and set-ups and game rules that affect the match engine and commentaries.

Nice idea. Just not practical. It'll never happen. As others have stated, different codes, different games. Any more than importing Grand Theft Auto 2 save into a Grand Theft Auto 4. As a Leeds fan I'd love to play CM01/02 with FM08 features.

Would be nice one day to "go back in time" on FM. Maybe when computers get even beter (Octo-core?) we could have seasons starting in the 60s, 70s and 80s; we could play mental long-term games with Kevin Keegan as a superstar, watching as "real players" come through... snapping up Rooney and the Ronaldos (both fat boy and orange boy) as kids... maybe getting Figo as a kid... or Henry back when he was a winger and have to develop him to become a striker.

Not being sarcastic here, either. Just taking FM options to the max. Ancient database patches. Cool.

It's not the databases that are the real problem - unless the types of attributes are altered between games - but the hard-coded stuff such as league rules and set-ups and game rules that affect the match engine and commentaries.

Well then maybe there is some middle ground on the matter... something that could be done to include this as a feature. Rules and competitions change (not to mention game engines, rules, et cetera) from year to year IRL, but players, staff, and team history carry on. Maybe that's the realistic situation that could achieved.

i know how unfeasible it is, but what backpackant said was brilliant. to have a game where you start in the 80's and know that rooney, ronaldinho, zidane, ronaldo's, etc will come through in the 90's/00's would be amazing. i suppose we should suggest this for fm27, when it might be possible?!

Archived