youth facility and academy, what's the difference

The quality of regens are influenced by youth facility and reputation, but what about academy? Previously i though it was a high end facility, but now many semi-pro teams have it, while some bigger teams like wigan and preston dont have it.

So does a youth academy gives you better players, or it's a international camp which give you more foreign youngsters? If it's the latter, i suggest remove it, and let our scouts with foreign knowledge to pick up some foreign youngsters.

The quality of regens are influenced by youth facility and reputation, but what about academy? Previously i though it was a high end facility, but now many semi-pro teams have it, while some bigger teams like wigan and preston dont have it.

So does a youth academy gives you better players, or it's a international camp which give you more foreign youngsters? If it's the latter, i suggest remove it, and let our scouts with foreign knowledge to pick up some foreign youngsters.

If you have an academy you can generate players from the whole nation (ex. England,Italy,Spain,etc...) and even foreigner ones, if you have enough knowledge.

If a club don't have the academy they can generate only local player and (i think) a lower chance of getting talented regen

What! Local talent is the best!

IRL i agree, at Sampdoria we have two youth player born in Genoa named Bianco and the promising keeper Vincenzo Fiorillo (best keeper in the U19 european competition won by Germany).

But in FM i found that many talented regens are foreigner (ex. a brasilian in Atalanta U19, an Italian wing back at Aston Villa to name two of my last save game... :))

You guys might be wedded to the romantic ideal of local talent being the best. The reality, however, is that you stand a far better chance of finding quality youngsters if you can cast your net wider.

I wouldn't agree with local talent being "best" for obvious reasons, but I would still prefer it. I always get really disappointed when I get my youth players through in summer and find that not one of them was born in the town of my club and instead I have players from all manner of random places!

I wouldn't agree with local talent being "best" for obvious reasons, but I would still prefer it. I always get really disappointed when I get my youth players through in summer and find that not one of them was born in the town of my club and instead I have players from all manner of random places!

In my current game at Kettering, most english players come from Kettering and nearby town of Corby, Irthlingborough and Rothwell, which is realistic to me.

Maybe you can check the map, some players come from small places near your club

A lot don't though at some clubs. At other clubs every single player is born in the same town as the club or a nearby one.

I actually even created a totally new club up in Scotland and took lots of time to add in many of the local places around the club with longitude and latitude set so that they were obviously very close, yet none of my youth team players ever came from any of these other places - I just saw random players born in these places appearing at other clubs throughout Scotland that were miles away instead :(

Perhaps either your reputation is so good that all kinds of players flock to your club, or perhaps your youth system is just so good that players from the neighbourhood never get a chance, since they are worse than what comes from far.

And we all know, what comes from far, is good.

Archived