You don't need anything flash tbh for that tbh. You could run it with a Pentium 4 processor and not have too much trouble. However, I recommend:

2GB RAM

Core 2 Duo (Dual Core) processor

Windows XP ideally (though most PC's are sold with Vista nowadays)

That's it. If you only want a few leagues running, that'll easily handle it.

I have Win XP, 2GB RAM and an Intel E6600 processor (Dual Core @ 2.6Ghz I think) and I'm comfortably running a career game with leagues in the following countries (from memory): England (Conference upwards), Scotland (Div 1 upwards), Italy (Serie B up), Spain (2nd liga up), Portugal (top div), Germany (top two divs), Holland (top div), France (top two divs), Russia (top div), Ukkraine (top div) and the top divs in Brazil, Argentina, USA and possible Australia (I can't remember).

Trust me, the game absolutely zips by. No problems! I'm in 2016/17 in that career game by the way.

Personally, I'd go for Intel. In terms of pounds for power I think they just shade it. There's not a great deal to choose between the two in all fairness, but I'd just plump for Intel. You thought about building one yourself? I build PC's in my spare time and sell them - it's not that difficult?

In terms of playing FM, you really don't need to spend all that much. Off the top of my head, I reckon less than £300 for a base unit.

Yes you can, but here's what I do on eBay:

If the item is cheap, say $20 or less, and it's an item I want, I'll go for it, even if the seller has no feedback. I'll take a chance, as I can afford to lose $20 if it goes wrong.

If the item is very expensive, I'm looking for more than 10,000 feedback, nearly all positive (99% or above), and they have to have sold similar items recently and received positive ratings. For a computer seller, they're not too hard to find.

So that's what I'd do.

If you see a PC you like, why not link to it here and I can tell you how well it'll run FM if you're playing with a few leagues. But for $700 you should have absolutely no problems picking up a decent computer.

• 2 weeks later...
I have Win XP, 2GB RAM and an Intel E6600 processor (Dual Core @ 2.6Ghz I think) and I'm comfortably running a career game with leagues in the following countries (from memory): England (Conference upwards), Scotland (Div 1 upwards), Italy (Serie B up), Spain (2nd liga up), Portugal (top div), Germany (top two divs), Holland (top div), France (top two divs), Russia (top div), Ukkraine (top div) and the top divs in Brazil, Argentina, USA and possible Australia (I can't remember).

Trust me, the game absolutely zips by. No problems! I'm in 2016/17 in that career game by the way.

Well i got it 2 days ago and its so fast....Here's how many leagues i am running http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/2833/gamefalkirkstatuskc9.png And i still think i can run more.

I'm very encouraged at y'alls experience with that PC power and that many leagues going. On my current save, I'm running fewer leagues than I would ideally like to because of the sim speed limitations on my 2.0ghz/single-core/2gb-ram laptop. My ideal set-up would be 16 to 18 leagues with a large database. You both have more than that and it sounds like it runs quickly. Maybe it's time for me to upgrade a bit...

I'm very encouraged at y'alls experience with that PC power and that many leagues going. On my current save, I'm running fewer leagues than I would ideally like to because of the sim speed limitations on my 2.0ghz/single-core/2gb-ram laptop. My ideal set-up would be 16 to 18 leagues with a large database. You both have more than that and it sounds like it runs quickly. Maybe it's time for me to upgrade a bit...

Here's my pc http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140258468116&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com.au%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm37%26satitle%3D140258468116%26category0%3D%26fvi%3D1 Picked it up for 610 with damage cover so that's 340 pounds witch is cheap as chips imo.....7 years ago it cost an arm and a leg for a top of the range pc now its nothing for a great pc.

Here's my pc 7 years ago it cost an arm and a leg for a top of the range pc now its nothing for a great pc.

There's a lot more choice in the mid & lower high-end range nowadays. I put together some solid pc's for some family members ranging from a solid low-end machine to a nice gaming rig, all costing relatively little, but if you really go for the high-end stuff, you'll be spending much more than 7 years ago. My graphics card alone cost more than each of the pc's I made for my family. :p

There's a lot more choice in the mid & lower high-end range nowadays. I put together some solid pc's for some family members ranging from a solid low-end machine to a nice gaming rig, all costing relatively little, but if you really go for the high-end stuff, you'll be spending much more than 7 years ago. My graphics card alone cost more than each of the pc's I made for my family. :p

Selfish bastard:D So how do you rate my pc mate?

Selfish bastard:D So how do you rate my pc mate?

Not really selfish, it's a matter of need. :p

Rating a PC is hard as it depends much on what it's used for. Keeping things FM minded, I'd say it's a nice buy. The CPU is solid, though I can't recall if FM makes use of 4 cores. Quad Cores are fantastic for compression, en/decoding and the likes, but most new games still seem to be getting used to 2 cores. Still, it's more than powerful enough even when not fully utilized.

Decent amount of RAM. Dunno if you mentioned your OS, but for XP this should be more than sufficient when keeping only FM in mind, Vista generally prefers a bit more.

Only thing I can't seem to find on that link is info about graphics card, but for FM that's not really the biggest thing to worry about anyway, so all in all I'd say it's a nice buy, depending on its intended use.

Atm im looking at a dualcore 250HDD,2gb RAM, geforce6100.... Its an amd though never had one of them so not sure.

In terms of processor and ram then that should be fine. Even though minimum specs haven't offically been announced I don't think they'll be too different from FM2008. One thing though you might want to look for one with a better graphics card. Although the graphics card isn't really a problem with FM you should think about other more graphic intensive games that you play.

Its just a standard intel graphics card i think....Im thinking of going back to windows xp pro as the os i have now is just a 30 day trial what do you think i should do mate? pay the extra money for vista or borrow the xp disc of my mate???? Sorry for so many questions but you seem to no what your talking about.

In terms of processor and ram then that should be fine. Even though minimum specs haven't offically been announced I don't think they'll be too different from FM2008. One thing though you might want to look for one with a better graphics card. Although the graphics card isn't really a problem with FM you should think about other more graphic intensive games that you play.

I ended up getting this mate http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140258468116&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com.au%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm37%26satitle%3D140258468116%26category0%3D%26fvi%3D1

Well Vista likes lots of RAM. 2GB might be sufficient, in fact it's definately sufficient for FM2008 and most non-game activities, but clearly we don't know exactly what to expect from FM09, and for most other (more graphical) new games 2GB will probably be the absolute minimum for a decent experience on Vista.

That said, intel integrated graphics (assuming that is what you got) are absolute crap for most games, but again, games not leaning heavily on graphics like FM might not be a problem.

Vista does require more resources than XP, but as soon as your specs reach a certain point, the noticable difference becomes extremely small. Your CPU is more than sufficient in that area, amount of RAM should be good enough for most purposes and well, even low-end graphics cards are pretty nice nowadays, but I have absolutely nothing good to say about intel integrated graphics. :p

I generally try not to suggest what people should do, instead give them what info I can and let their preference do the rest, but here goes nothing:

If you wanna play recent, graphically intensive games: You're definately gonna need a new gfx card (following previous assumptions), and unless you also increase the RAM, XP will be the best choice.

If you're not looking at running games/applications more demanding than FM, then you'll definately be fine with XP, and probably (probably, because we know nothing about FM09 requirements yet) with Vista too.

Next, keep in mind that if you'd ever want to upgrade to 4GB of RAM or more, you're gonna need a 64bit OS to make proper use of it. XP64 is an unstable bitch, while Vista64 is just as stable as Vista32 and only suffers very slightly in performance when running in 32bit, nothing you'd notice with these specs anyway.

Eh, was ready to begin the next paragraph but I think that was it.. :p

Get as much processing power you can fit into your budget - DDR2 memory's dirt cheap anyway, and about the video card you don't need to bother, at least not up until FM08. Nothing's been confirmed about FM09, so who knows. While the official minimum requirements listed on the box are usually rather low, personally I wouldn't like to know how the game would run on comparable machines, even with but a few leagues up and running. Nope, not. At. All. Depending on your save game, I'd imagine you'd sure need a lot of patience in between the real action. I'm running an AMD dual core and 2 gigs of memory myself, but FM appears to already support quad core processors as well, correct?

Another advice that has been brought up is to just wait for the game to be released first if you can. Hardware's dropping in price all the bloody time, really, and the game's still a couple of months away. Surely you don't want to spend money on hardware for benchmarking programs but real-life applications instead.

edit: oops, too late! :D

Thanks heaps mate....there had a option on when i was looking to buy this pc to upgrade Kingston/Corsair/PNY 4GB DDR2 800MHz Dual Channel Ram for $50 (25 pounds) regretting it now:( but now i think im gonna go out and buy a decent gfx card nothing to expensive but nothing to cheap,should i get that off ebay? I feel bad asking so many questions lol

Get as much processing power you can fit into your budget - DDR2 memory's dirt cheap anyway, and about the video card you don't need to bother, at least not up until FM08. Nothing's been confirmed about FM09, so who knows. While the official minimum requirements listed on the box are usually rather low, personally I wouldn't like to know how the game would run on comparable machines, even with but a few leagues up and running. Nope, not. At. All. Depending on your save game, I'd imagine you'd sure need a lot of patience in between the real action. I'm running an AMD dual core and 2 gigs of memory myself, but FM appears to already support quad core processors as well, correct?

Another advice that has been brought up is to just wait for the game to be released first if you can. Hardware's dropping in price all the bloody time, really, and the game's still a couple of months away. Surely you don't want to spend money on hardware for benchmarking programs but real-life applications instead.

edit: oops, too late! :D

Yeah well fm on my quad core flys so im guessing it does :)

Thanks heaps mate....there had a option on when i was looking to buy this pc to upgrade Kingston/Corsair/PNY 4GB DDR2 800MHz Dual Channel Ram for $50 (25 pounds) regretting it now:( but now i think im gonna go out and buy a decent gfx card nothing to expensive but nothing to cheap,should i get that off ebay? I feel bad asking so many questions lol

What resolution for? And which games? An Ati 4850 offers superb performance at a more than reasonable price point, but you might not need that much power. Plus,if you don't feel like spending that much, the cheapest Geforce 8800GS (9600GSO), Ati 3850/3870, Geforce 8800GT(9800GT) (roughly listed in order of rendering power) you can get can take you places as well, depending on your needs, of course. Even the cheapest of those are all so much more powerful than the Geforce 8600GT I bought about a year ago for a higher price than most of em it's not even funny. Pft. :/

That's crap for a so called new PC.

Depends entirelly on one's needs, really. To spend money on things you don't need, now that's the real crap.

What resolution for? And which games? An Ati 4850 offers superb performance at a more than reasonable price point, but you might not need that much power. Plus,if you don't feel like spending that much, the cheapest Geforce 8800GS (9600GSO), Ati 3850/3870, Geforce 8800GT(9800GT) (roughly listed in order of rendering power) you can get can take you places as well, depending on your needs, of course. Even the cheapest of those are all so much more powerful than the Geforce 8600GT I bought about a year ago for a higher price than most of em it's not even funny. Pft. :/

Depends entirelly on one's needs, really. To spend money on things you don't need, now that's the real crap.

You have completely lost me.

There's so many models out there, it's cOnfusing, ain't it? :D Go here, for instance. Even though the article doesn't include the absolute cheapest cards available at this point, this still looks like a solid starting point. For FM08 you won't need any of those though.

These are pretty high-end though. The nvidia 8800's are awesome, but complete overkill for something like FM. 8600's are sufficient for most non-hardcore gamers and a lot cheaper, but I'm guessing a 8400 would be more than sufficient for any FM too, and is priced very reasonably.

So what are you're planning to do with the card anyway? This one might surfice (as might an even cheaper one), it's a tad slower than the Ati 3870 in that article I linked to above, but it's hard to tell without knowing what you're up to. If you stick to FM only, I'd just keep the onboard chip you have, unless you want some of the features an additional video card might provide.

It's not as expensive as about year ago though, for instance. As the segment for mid-range cards is much more diverse and powerful. Ati 4850 and its ilk are a damn solid deal - for a really low budget, a 3850 or an Nvidia 8800GS is multiple times faster than an Nvidia 8600 and costs but a couple pounds more. Though it still won't be enough for Crysis - at higher settings and resolutions, at least. They have a Crysis benchmark in that article above.

64 Bit Vista sucks, I had it went back to 32 Bit XP(only using 3.25GB) and it is much faster and more stable. For a Processor I reccemend the Q6600 for Quad Core Processor, For video card the 4850 is incredible.

Newcastle, nice computer you have but if you had better cooling you might be able to OC your processor to 3.8GHZ, maybe 4, for now I think you could go to 3.2GHZ.

BTW, I am from Canada

Come on man, everybody has their preference, but why can't there by any one of these threads without someone feeling the need to throw with "[product x] sucks"?

Vista64 is just as stable as XP32 is, provided your PC is set up well. XP is somewhat faster (lighter is perhaps more accurate), but so much that it's worth making a fuss over provided you have a modern PC.

About overclocking: As long as you stay within reason, it doesn't 'feck' up your PC, but it can have a negative effect on a CPU's life expectancy. I say "can", because most people will have switched to a new PC before they would notice.

Im after a new PC and in need of help,just wondering what you guys think of this http://www.ginger6.com/phenom-9550-4096mb-750gb-dvdrw-base-unit-p-30853.html Im just alittle concerned about the manafacture or should i just ignore that? all help is much appreciated. Sorri to steal your thread newcastle4life:p but theres no point in me cloggin up the forums with new threads (any excuse :D)

Archived