Work Permits...

Hmmm... This is just annoying me now, I've signed a young South African defender, sent him a loan for a couple of seasons (as he couldn't get a work permit), but now there is a problem. His current contract is coming to an end and I can't (I don't know why) give him a new one unless he gets a work permit. Now, I just need some clarification here as he was now got 8 caps for South Africa and has played in most of the last years or so worth of South Africa's matches... Why isn't he getting his work Permit?

75% in last two years

and Team in top 70 on average in last two years (you can find the world rankings in World Cup section)

= work permit straight away (in real life friendlies don't count so I would assume it's the same in FM)

or

Of sufficient quality to enhance the game which in FM terms is judged based on CA. In England a CA of around 160 will do it = work permit on appeal without sending to affiliate.

Some reckon squad status offered and wages play a role but if they do they don't carry much 'weight' in the 'yes or no' algorithm from the little I've messed around with it.

Does he have a dual nationality yet? If he doesn't then that could be the reason he has not been given a permit. One of the problems with the work permit system in FM (and I assume real life) is that even though a person is eligible for dual nationality they do not have to take it. I've said before in other threads that it would be much better if during contract negotiations with non-eu players you could put a clause in their contracts saying that the must apply and accept dual nationality when it becomes available to them. If this was introduced into the game then I think that it woud make the whole process a lot easier.

I may be wrong but I don't think that 8 caps is enough to be guaranteed a wp. I think you have to have something like 20 as a minimum and I also know that under 21 caps do not count.

Archived