How does he live?

What does 'array access out of bounds' even mean?

I've had that message so many times, but I never really cared what it meant. But now that you mention it, I'm quite curious to know actually.

EDIT: I just found this on SI's homepage. It doesn't state what it actually means, but it does say how to solve it on a windows machine:

TROUBLESHOOT: Array access out of bounds on FM05 startup

Added on 06/11/2004 @ 00:05:18

Applies to FM 2005

If you are getting an Array access out of bounds when I start the game up. Here is what to do!

Go to Start in the bottom left of your screen and then Run. In the run box type ‘regedit’ (no comma’s

This will open the Windows registry editor.

Now go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER then Software and then Sports Interactive Ltd.

Click on Football Manager 2005 once to highlight it. Then press the delete button to delete it.

Close regedit and reboot your machine.

Try Football manager 2005 again!

I've had that message so many times, but I never really cared what it meant. But now that you mention it, I'm quite curious to know actually.

Strangely enough, I never cared when I used to see it. Then it slipped my mind because I haven't seen it for years. But this thread suddenly made me wonder.

Does anybody know if FM uses Java in any way? Because I just tried to Google the array access out of bounds message, and apparently it comes up when a programmer has made a mistake with a Java code. It basically means that you're trying to load a variable that has a wrong value, if I understood it correctly. Obviously the last part could be very true in FM, since FM (and any other piece of software really) is full of variables.

Then again I don't know anything about software programming so I might be completely wrong.

EDIT: I just found this on SI's homepage. It doesn't state what it actually means, but it does say how to solve it on a windows machine:

TROUBLESHOOT: Array access out of bounds on FM05 startup

Added on 06/11/2004 @ 00:05:18

Applies to FM 2005

If you are getting an Array access out of bounds when I start the game up. Here is what to do!

Go to Start in the bottom left of your screen and then Run. In the run box type ‘regedit’ (no comma’s

This will open the Windows registry editor.

Now go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER then Software and then Sports Interactive Ltd.

Click on Football Manager 2005 once to highlight it. Then press the delete button to delete it.

Close regedit and reboot your machine.

Try Football manager 2005 again!

That's on start up though! If you got the message during play would it be the same procedure to follow?

"Array out of bounds" explanation.

I know this is a little off-topic, but since people wondered what it was...

When you store data, you usually write hem down in parts. So you can retrieve them later again by referring to the part you put it in. Imagine you have a chess board. 64 blocks, right? 8 by 8.

If I wanted to know what E-6 contained, I would try to retrieve row E, column 6. So I get the results.

If I wanted to know what E-9 contained, I would try to retrieve row E, column 9. However, there is no E-9, as it only has 8 columns in that row. The error you get then, in terms of computer-language, is an "Array out of bounds".

The same can happen when you try to store data. It might not have that many rows or columns as you thought it had. And when trying to put something in E-9 might prove just as difficult as retrieving it from E-9 ;-)

In FM it can be related to anything, like retrieving the info about which values a dropdownbox for wages may contain when you offer him a contract (hey, I found 11 values, but I can only fit 10 in my dropdownbox! What should I do? Oh yeah, I should give an array out of bounds error).

(I know it is not 100% similar, but it is the easiest way to explain to people who don't have any programming experience. Please don't go correcting me, as it's not the issue in this topic.)

I actually heard many deals which are made in this way(lump sum at the signing and then only bonuses without monthly constants) But considering this particular player and his age; this deal looks really "out of reality bounds" I think this mostly applies to old player or high-risk of injury players.

FYI "array out of bounds"; is one of the most common programming errors. It simply means program is trying to access a particular item from a group of data but the index is invalid. for example there are 100 data stored but program tries to read data number "101" or "-1"

Archived