A-League Expansion in 2010 - is it in FM09

I was just wondering if FM09 has the planned A-league expansion coded into the game. With Gold Coast joining the league next year?

Normally SI never has any future expansions in the game. If the team is not in existence in the first year of play, the team will not appear in the future seasons.

My bet would be it may be included in the January data update when it is released because by that time hopefully the details will be confirmed of the expansion. But until it is certain to happen and an official announcement is made by the FFA about the details of the expansion it wont be included.

Sure we all know it will happen but until everything is confirmed it wont be included. But like I say if everything gets done in time it could be added with one of the patches

Well, if the club is in the league by the time the winter update is being made, it will be included, but it will not be added to the A-league but to a league that dosen't exsist, due to not having the license to include them or at least thats what they did to San Jose Earthqaukes in USA, (they made them, gave them their stadium and players and then added them to A Premier Division instead of Major League Soccer) so if you want to play them you will have to use the editor and swap the team with one of the other A-League teams.

Hope this answers your question :)

My bet would be it may be included in the January data update when it is released because by that time hopefully the details will be confirmed of the expansion. But until it is certain to happen and an official announcement is made by the FFA about the details of the expansion it wont be included.

Sure we all know it will happen but until everything is confirmed it wont be included. But like I say if everything gets done in time it could be added with one of the patches

As far as I am aware its a done deal, was announced a few months back, I could be wrong though.

I didn't think it would be included.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/InsideFFA/default.aspx?s=insideffa_newsfeatures_newsitem&id=22912

An article from the FFA website saying at least NQFC will be included for 2009. I think the numerous articles about the Gold Coast and their signings already (Scott Higgins, Miron Bliberg) also point to them already being admitted

It will depend on the license SI have with the A-League (assuming they still one) - if the expansion teams are included in the license then I'd expect the expansion to be programmed in. (If they don't have the license, then like others have said, more than likely the teams will be added to the database but in an unplayable league).

That is really dissopointing that they will restrict expansion just because the teams do not have playing squads. Can they not be added with grey players and then have the challenge of igning a complete squad? Obvisually SI have no issues having full teams of grey players so why not give us our expansion?

i think it's licencing issue. they can't alter the leagues unless they get permission. hence why the number of teams in a league or it's structure never change no matter how many seasons you play.

this does annoy me a bit, i'd love the option to tick a box called Random Events or something where the league rules can change 1 year (more teams in the Prem, number of games, foreign player rulings, etc) just to add some difference. Of course, like all things in FM, it would need to be managed so as it doesn't happen every season, just once a decade or something.

That is really dissopointing that they will restrict expansion just because the teams do not have playing squads. Can they not be added with grey players and then have the challenge of igning a complete squad? Obvisually SI have no issues having full teams of grey players so why not give us our expansion?

Its a licensing issue, talk to the FFA if your not happy. Also it should be noted that the expansion hasnt been confirmed yet either and its getting close to the point where SI need to get all the data back for FM09.

Well this just made me wonder. The Belgian league will be made smaller in 2010(?) next season i thought or the season after that. A lot of teams will relegate and the complete structure will be changed.

This must surely be implemented in the game too, no?

well I have emailed the FFA as suggested by Roger:

Good Morning,

I am writing to you asking if in the upcoming Football Manager 2009 (FM09) game if you have allowed the expansion teams (Gold Coast and Townsville) to appear in 2010 ingame. There has been a lot of debate on the SI Games Football Manager forums with regard to this as a lot of people wish for these teams to be allowed into the game but have thrown the issue back to the FFA and the current license that has been struck between SI and the FFA. I hope that the license will allow expansion ingame and this issue can be resolved for all gaming parties.

Hopefully I get a reply really soon

well I have emailed the FFA as suggested by Roger:

Good Morning,

I am writing to you asking if in the upcoming Football Manager 2009 (FM09) game if you have allowed the expansion teams (Gold Coast and Townsville) to appear in 2010 ingame. There has been a lot of debate on the SI Games Football Manager forums with regard to this as a lot of people wish for these teams to be allowed into the game but have thrown the issue back to the FFA and the current license that has been struck between SI and the FFA. I hope that the license will allow expansion ingame and this issue can be resolved for all gaming parties.

Hopefully I get a reply really soon

Keep me posted about this. As an MLS fan, I also want expansion teams Seattle and Philly to appear ingame. I might email the MLS Commissioner Don Garber about this issue as well.

i think it's licencing issue. they can't alter the leagues unless they get permission. hence why the number of teams in a league or it's structure never change no matter how many seasons you play.

this does annoy me a bit, i'd love the option to tick a box called Random Events or something where the league rules can change 1 year (more teams in the Prem, number of games, foreign player rulings, etc) just to add some difference. Of course, like all things in FM, it would need to be managed so as it doesn't happen every season, just once a decade or something.

I have ALWAYS wanted to see something like this- an evolution so to speak. It just keeps things interesting later on in long term games rather than just having the same competition structures hardcoded forever. I'd like to see things like

-Changes in number of teams relegated (Top flight in England has gone from one to two to three, the last being made in 1973-74 iirc)

-Changes in number of teams in a comp (ie England again has gone from 22 to 20; may even go down further in future)

-Changes in cup structures (more groups being added, more teams in a group, etc in World Cup- remember World Cup was 24 or so teams until '98 i think? Champions League also had fewer groups. UEFA Cup has changed significantly as well in recent years)

-Changes in qualifying for Europe- although this is in to an extent.

These changes can as sydfc suggested (I'm a melburnian btw ;)) might only come about once every 10 years or so.

I dont think anyone can claim it would be unrealistic, as its almost certainly unrealistic to suggest that the competitions in 20 years will have identical structures as today. And the 'Evolution' Mode can be unticked atthe beginning if the user doesn't want it. The only difficult part would be the coding.

North Queensland FC and Gold Coast United were today officially signed off on joining the A-League for next year.

Pity about the boring team names we have over here though...

I don't think they will be in FM09 anyway - neither team has a squad at the moment, so unless empty teams were added after a year, filled with regens, I don't know how it would work.

North Queensland FC and Gold Coast United were today officially signed off on joining the A-League for next year.

Pity about the boring team names we have over here though...

I don't think they will be in FM09 anyway - neither team has a squad at the moment, so unless empty teams were added after a year, filled with regens, I don't know how it would work.

My thoughts on this are that:-

1. Both teams are playable from the first season, with a blank squad and you have to spend the first season filling the squad with players. Both teams then join the A-league in 2010.

2. The teams appear in the A-league in 2010, and a squad has to be bought before the season.

3. The teams appear in the A-league in 2010 and a squad of regens has been allocated.

My preference would be number 1.

My thoughts on this are that:-

1. Both teams are playable from the first season, with a blank squad and you have to spend the first season filling the squad with players. Both teams then join the A-league in 2010.

idea 1 sounds like a gd idea, that would be fun i reckon

Well this just made me wonder. The Belgian league will be made smaller in 2010(?) next season i thought or the season after that. A lot of teams will relegate and the complete structure will be changed.

This must surely be implemented in the game too, no?

If this has been officially confirmed and SI or the Belgian Researcher knew about it in time then it may be in FM09 (Assuming it wasn't too difficult and the Belgian league isn't licensed) - for example the changes to the German leagues were programmed into FM08.

Whilst for licensed leagues as other people have said it depends on the license and is out of SI's hands.

If this has been officially confirmed and SI or the Belgian Researcher knew about it in time then it may be in FM09 (Assuming it wasn't too difficult and the Belgian league isn't licensed) - for example the changes to the German leagues were programmed into FM08.

Whilst for licensed leagues as other people have said it depends on the license and is out of SI's hands.

I love unlicensedness :D

Thanx for the reply mate

I think this depends on when the game is actually released.

Both teams will be playing in 2009/10 so if that turns out to be the first in-game season - which is vaguely possible if release isn't until late December - then the teams should be in.

If the game starts in 2008/9, then I don't think the teams will be available because they are unlikely to join the game after one season as already mentioned.

Roger, any improvement in the rosters for state league teams? Any way of making State leagues playable, e.g. NSWPL, NSW WSL etc. These clubs are pretty much feeder clubs for a-league teams, and need to be drastically improved. What are the complications in updating, and making a state league playable? I'm sure there are websites/forums out there of fans who regularly attend games who could do provide stats for you, e.g. Sydney Unofficial forum has many members attending NSWPL games, the BWE have a forum running and if you ask them, could give you some stats of their players and many more.

I can't see how licences apply to this at all.

As far as SI have ever said, that I've noticed anyway, if solid, 100% confirmation is given, and they have time to implement it, they will implement it.

For instance, the EPL is HIGHLY Licenced out. Yet we still got the 7 subs from second season thing in 8.02... Because it was a) confirmed, b) in time for said patch.

I can't see how licences apply to this at all.

As far as SI have ever said, that I've noticed anyway, if solid, 100% confirmation is given, and they have time to implement it, they will implement it.

For instance, the EPL is HIGHLY Licenced out. Yet we still got the 7 subs from second season thing in 8.02... Because it was a) confirmed, b) in time for said patch.

The EPL isn't licensed in FM hence the lack of logos and kits. Leagues that are licensed will have restrictions placed upon them depending on the license - for example in the past (no idea about FM09) the US MLS License has just been for the current season, so they couldn't program in future expansions.

Other factors do also apply - when the info was officially confirmed, and how difficult it would be to program in, but if they don't have permission then this doesn't matter.

nick1408 - SI may not respond until the game has gone gold, or when they officially announce what licenses FM09 will have.

Archived