People who can't handle FM

I have to admit I didn't like the first couple FMs because of the interface and a few other areas but SI seems to have finally gotten everything in order this year and FM 08 is a top game. Anyway, i used to play CM 99/00 for years before I got into this game, but earlier this summer I had the urge to try CM 01/02 cause i heard how "great" it was. I went to that cult of a website people have for updating it to get info etc. Let me just say that that game, CM 01/02, absolutely blows lol. it's frigin terrible so unrealistic with super goalies and centralized cheat tactics etc. I tried explaining this to the idiots there but they just simply said that the game is great and FM sucks etc etc they refuse to play because it has lost touch with the series. After playing FM 08 for a good week I realize how wrong these people are lol. Sure it may be more of a simulation rather than a wacked out game where you can throw everyone into the middle and win everything but isnt thats the way it should be? lol and yes it may take longer to complete an FM 08 season and the database/ football world is bigger and more in depth but again is that bad thing? oh yea playing realistic where I dont lost to Fulham 9 times out of ten with regular tactics at home is awful lol. These people are simply people who can't move on and handle this game. Too bad for them lol

Obviously when people have set up a fansite of 01/02, regularly update it and still play the game after 8 years they won't be taking too kindly to you trolling on their forums. The fact that there are that many people still enjoying 01/02 is a definite proof of how good a game it actually was and in a sense still is.

True enough, but there must be some sort of superiority complex in there. 'ooh look at us we still use CM 01/02 and look how rubbish FM08 is snigger snigger'

I don't think people that play 01/02 have a superiority complex, in fact I think this a nonsensical claim. I still play it sometimes. It's a different game - fast, fun and addictive in a different sense to FM's. Some people simply enjoy it more than the complex and time consuming versions of late. In fact some people on there simply don't have a computer that meets the requirements for the latest FM games.

True enough, but there must be some sort of superiority complex in there. 'ooh look at us we still use CM 01/02 and look how rubbish FM08 is snigger snigger'

In all honesty, is that not what this thread is all about? It strikes me as just being the reverse

"Ooh look, they are still using CM 01/02 instead of playing the newer FM08"

I still play the older CM games from time to time for that feeling of escaping back to a few years ago when I played them all the time, I occasionaly dust off CM2 if I'm feeling really nostalgic

I don't think people that play 01/02 have a superiority complex, in fact I think this a nonsensical claim. I still play it sometimes. It's a different game - fast, fun and addictive in a different sense to FM's. Some people simply enjoy it more than the complex and time consuming versions of late. In fact some people on there simply don't have a computer that meets the requirements for the latest FM games.
In all honesty, is that not what this thread is all about? It strikes me as just being the reverse

"Ooh look, they are still using CM 01/02 instead of playing the newer FM08"

I still play the older CM games from time to time for that feeling of escaping back to a few years ago when I played them all the time, I occasionaly dust off CM2 if I'm feeling really nostalgic

I wasn't saying that everyone who plays CM 01/02 has a superiority complex, if I said that I would be dissing my uncle who can't play the newer versions like you said akstjon. But joining a forum specifically dedicated to it and then slagging it off wherever possible seems like you think you are better than the unwashed, uneducated hordes who play football manager 2008. I know this link is just a troll probably done by the OP of this thread but I think it demonstrates my point. http://www.champman0102.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4192&highlight=football+manager+2008

I wasn't having a go at you mate, just used your post as an example cuz I enjoyed it lol, was talking about the OP, he seems to have something against CM 01/02 for some reason, that said, I have just been looking around that forum and it really seems to me that a lot of the people on there are very arrogant and close-minded, but at least we aint like that on here eh? :p

I wasn't saying that everyone who plays CM 01/02 has a superiority complex, if I said that I would be dissing my uncle who can't play the newer versions like you said akstjon. But joining a forum specifically dedicated to it and then slagging it off wherever possible seems like you think you are better than the unwashed, uneducated hordes who play football manager 2008. I know this link is just a troll probably done by the OP of this thread but I think it demonstrates my point. http://www.champman0102.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4192&highlight=football+manager+2008

Yeah, but then there's other threads by the same troll on the same forum. Found a few in the tactics section as well. It gets tiresome I would think, especially as this is a forum for 01/02 players. All of these people are aware that FM 08 exists and know what it's all about, they still opt for 01/02 though. I'm sure they actually join the forum to discuss 01/02 and I don't see many threads dedicated to slagging off FM. Other than the troll threads mentioned earlier of course. If they had an agenda against 08 surely they'd rather come here to start arguments rather than just play their game and discuss it on their boards?

Yeah' date=' but then there's other threads by the same troll on the same forum. Found a few in the tactics section as well. It gets tiresome I would think, especially as this is a forum for 01/02 players. All of these people are aware that FM 08 exists and know what it's all about, they still opt for 01/02 though. I'm sure they actually join the forum to discuss 01/02 and I don't see many threads dedicated to slagging off FM. Other than the troll threads mentioned earlier of course. If they had an agenda against 08 surely they'd rather come here to start arguments rather than just play their game and discuss it on their boards?[/quote']

Ok I can see your point, I suppose you are right in that they don't come here and start inflammatory threads and so why should people do it to them. Peaceful co-existence and all that

Let me just say that that game, CM 01/02, absolutely blows lol. it's frigin terrible

I think that basically says it all about this thread :rolleyes: CM 01/02 s generally accepted as one of the best (if not the best) of the series. I switched off as soon as I read that drivel.

I had so much fun playing Champ Man 01/02 back in the day. It was a brilliant game. I dug it out and played it recently and it was still fun, for sure, but the series has moved on, and I can't put FM08 down now. I'm enjoying FM so much, I may not buy FM09!

CM/FM players are like dads...

It's a well known fact that when dads reach a certain age they stop buying new clothes. I'm sure they're aware that there are new clothing trends out there, but they seem to have reached a new plane of existence unbeknownst to us; and before you know it they're wearing bellbottoms in 2008.

It may not be the trousers we choose to wear, but hey ... at least they're still wearing trousers!

Funny coincidence, but I got sick of FM2008 some time ago and I had been playing FM2005 instead, but on a whim I reinstalled CM01/02 and have been really enjoying it. Personally I think CM00/01 was the best of the old games, as 01/02 had really inflated transfer fees and TV money that put realism out of the window after a couple of seasons, but I played those old games way more than I do any of the new ones. The best of the 2D match engine ones I found was FM2005, which got most things right but super keepers were always an issue and it was meddling chairmen that eventually pushed me away from that game.

Still, I'd take super keepers and simple tactics over fixed deflections and Hollywood-scripted matches any day.

"oh yea playing realistic where I dont lost to Fulham 9 times out of ten with regular tactics at home is awful lol."

The funny thing is, that's something I'd associate much more with FM2007 & 2008 than any of the older games. Yes, you could use cheat tactics and hammer everyone with an inferior team, but you could also succeed with a strong team and realisic, carefully set up tactics (I won a CL, Prem and FA Cup triple with Stockport using 4-4-2 attacking). Nowadays you can't really succeed with a 4-4-2, or even emulate the modern 4-4-2 variant (which tucks the wingers in to support the forwards and allows the fullbacks to overlap) because there needs to be another place to position the wingers in between AML/R and AMC.

Let me just say that that game, CM 01/02, absolutely blows lol. it's frigin terrible so unrealistic with super goalies and centralized cheat tactics etc.

I thought the whole "Super Keepers" thing came about with the introduction of the 2D Match Engine? CM01/02 doesn't have this.

Not really, you can still see the keeper's match rating, how many shots they've saved and compare it to their ability. You don't run into them as often as you do in the more modern games, but when you were up near the top of the league you'd run into one every so often, as if to stop you from just running away with everything and if you were really good, chances were every time you went out of the cup a super keeper was responsible.

Archived