Suggestion about PPM's

About a year ago I participated in a short 2-month-long psychology course as a student and if I have understood and remembered it correctly PPM's are habits that you've learned subconsciously. They're triggered by something that happened in the past but it's not something you actually learn. Nobody tells you to argue with officials, but some players just do. Why? No idea. They themselves probably don't even know why they argue with officials.

But overall I think there are 2 different types of PPM's: Some are related to technique (like moving the ball to the right foot before starting to dribble) and others are more related to you're character (like arguing with officials, making the crowd get going, trying tricks). Some could even go either way, like avoiding the use of the weaker foot. One might argue that a lack of confidence is also an influence on the last PPM.

Technical PPM's could be taught I guess, but mental PPM's like arguing with officials and things like that, not.

Take biting your fingernails for example. Nobody tells you to bite your fingernails when you're nervous, but a lot of people do. For them it's a natural reaction to the situation. The same counts for certain plays in the game. When strikers are 1-on-1 with a goalie, some will try to round him, some will try to lob him, and some might even lay the ball off to a teammate. I don't think you're really able to learn something like that, it just happens and you just do it because it feels right to do so.

I hope you get my point, and I hope others have a completely different view.

EDIT: Basically, it's just your average nature vs. nurture discussion.

i loved learning psychology myself, a great insight into the minds of others, but back to the point, PPM's are often use to compensate for weaknesses or to complement strengths in each respective player's game. i.e. Abou Diaby cuts inside when playing out wide left and tends to move to right foot, because he isnt strong on his left foot, so cuts inside to avoid having to play on his left foot. I would like to be able to get players to specifically try certain moves in the game though, like cutting inside as part of their instructions, and it could be that if they play like that for so long it becomes a PPM because it becomes a natural part of their game.

i agree, it would make more sense if ppms were learnt by continuously playing in a position a certain way, developed naturally. i.e. a RM would develop "Hugs line" or "runs with ball down the right", if asked to do so in player instructions, when played in a 4-4-2 "down both flanks" with maximum width, for a season or so. age shouldn't be a factor, giggs etc...

Archived