Disk error

After experiencing performance issues within Vista, I have decided to roll back to XP. One of the first tasks was to install FM. I have done that, but now everytime I start FM, I get a dialog box come up saying unable to find disk, then it gives me the option to either cancel, retry, or continue. If I press continue, the disk spins and the game finishes loading up to the menu, but it's just a pain in the arse. And before you ask, yes I do have a genuine copy of the game, am fully patched to 8.0.2. I've also done a registry search to see if I can find where it looks for the disk, but couldn't spot anything.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Haven't tried another disk, but did uninstall and reinstall the game as advised to on another forum, and the autoplay started fine, so not sure if it would be the disk. I do have 2 CD drives, one being a CD-ROM the other being a DVD rewriter, so will try the disk in the other drive when I get home from work tonight.

It does seem that the game is looking at A: for the disk though for some bizarre reason, as the floppy drive tries to read just before the error message comes up

i think thats a default sequence tbh, it does that on mine, even though the cd is always in the drive.. i get to the first menu screen, then it checks a: and then e: id try the drive although if its installed ok now, its kind of a moot point...

Well i've tried the disk in my other drive, and it brought the error up twice! Can't see that the disk would be dirty or scratched, it's my most prized possesion, never leaves my disk drive, but will check it when I go back home tonight

Archived