Board Confidence and Playing Style

A subject that has some meaning to me due to my status as a die-hard Arsenal fan and the fact I idolise Arsene Wenger, but sometimes in game you see yourself play brilliantly all season and end up very unlucky, and I feel that playing style should be reflected in board confidence, for example, you outplay Milan in the final of the champions league, yet lose 1-0, the fans often would be, while disappointed to lose, hailing the performance and style of play, the reason Arsene Wenger has got away without too much criticism at Arsenal in the absence of a trophy is the playing style and entertainment it provides. Furthermore the players tend to enjoy playing good football, we could have this reflected with players particularly happy at the style of play, media comments and questions relating to it, and indeed players becoming unhappy if the team are playing unnattractive or poor football, or if they dislike their role in the team (i.e. constantly out of position etc)

what do you guys think?

:thup: from me.

I personally play a stodgy, defense-minded, grind out 1-0 results without a lot of flair approach. Its always been pretty effective for me in FM ... but I've often felt like the supporters might not appreciate it, especially if I'm applying that philosophy for Barcelona, Newcastle, Ajax, Brazil, Argentina, etc.

I'd like to see more pressure about my "style", perhaps quieting down to nothing when I'm providing results, but resurfacing as a media controversy whenever things go poorly. I'd rather have a "shorter leash" due to my "boring" approach, for some boards at least.

On the other hand, if I can turn a club into a formidable monster with that approach, I'd like to see the supporters and board come to love our "intimidating" style of play, and the "fortress" that is our home ground. Think Arsenal of the seventies and early eighties .. I'd like to see my club acquire a bit of a "villain" reputation for being the "bad guys" with all our punishing tackles, clean sheets, and yellow cards.

Due to my style, of course.

I like that too. But while every club/board has a style they would like to see, every manager has one too. I think it might be useful to have this as a sort of reference in whenever a club sacks its manager and seeks a new one. That one should either fit the club style, or should have a very good reputation to go with.

Having said that, criticism about not applying the style the fans/board like to see should be in the game, indeed. I remember how the manager at Ajax said that he liked the club to be playing 'Attractive football' again, but only managed to play fairly static and sloppy, despite winning the games. Despite winning a lot, the fans were displeased.

I think that it should therefore be a balance between:

1) Preferring playing style above results

2) Preferring results above playing style

For instance, a relegation candidate should be more concerned about results rather than the playing style it uses to get out of the relegation zone.

Nevertheless, I do believe that a club should be able to adapt to a manager's style. If the club used to play "Italian style" (i.e. short and slow), while I play with the club for a few years in "English style" (i.e. quick and fast) and get better results, the fans should appreciate my playing style and perhaps even become fans of that playing style if I get good results.

Real Madrid have got rid of managers in the past for playing the 'wrong' type of football, despite them winning things. I think it would be a good idea for certain chairman to have likes/dislikes with regards to the style of play.

Bring back the chairman attributes!

style is a big part of football now, even fans in lower leagues moan that teams are playing punt and run football, decent managers who play less stylish football dont get tend to get top jobs and managers who do play stylish footballl their reputation rises quickers

style is a big part of football now, even fans in lower leagues moan that teams are playing punt and run football, decent managers who play less stylish football dont get tend to get top jobs and managers who do play stylish footballl their reputation rises quickers

Jose Mourinho is the only one i can think of tbh :thup:

Archived