Thoughts on Free Kicks

Some changes to Free Kick Instructions would be nice

A set of options Defensive/Attacking for both Direct AND Indirect Freekicks (4 freekick instructions instead of 2) as they are different types of set-piece, and because they are different you need to use slightly different options to make the most of them

I would also like to see the return of Stands next to taker and Runs over ball in the list of possible given instructions

discuss please.

Agreed.

At least, you need three - Attacking Direct, Attacking Indirect, and "From 50+ yards out" .. it doesn't really matter if the latter is direct or indirect, does it? :D

I'd want to see a couple of actions:

Tap Ball to Taker (To tee it up for the free kick taker)

Stop Ball (Teeing it up for the free kick taker)

Attack Near Post

Attack Far Post

Outside Area (I find this so useful on CK's that I want it on FK's too)

Stand Wide of the Wall (Providing a triangle option to get around the wall with).

I'd also like to be able to address my goals for each situation:

- Shoot on target

- Play to head

- Play to feet

- Mixed

I'd like all of these options to be available all the time - IRL, I've seen teams do the "Tap Ball, Stop Ball, Shoot on Target" even from a direct free kick, as a way of working around the wall... but of course, the time taken gives the wall a chance to close down.

I'd also like to be able to play-to-head on a direct free kick: this would be useful for clubs with a decided height advantage and no great free-kick shooter.

I've found it particularly annoying as the L.A. Galaxy, watching Beckham squander indirect free kicks by teeing them up for a teammate, or direct free kicks by passing instead of shooting. Look. I have Becks. He's a class above anybody else in the MLS at this free kick thing. I want every free kick anywhere near shooting range to result in #23 curling one towards the top corner.

as a way of working around the wall... but of course, the time taken gives the wall a chance to close down.

thats why i'd like to stand next to taker returned as an option

with 2 players, 1 left footed & 1 right footed listed as takers for right & left fk's and then both given that instruction, it increases the tactical choices available to the takers, a quick tap to the guy next to them or a longer pass for a headed attempt

if the quick tap is chosen, then it quickly becomes a shooting opportunity, with each player striking the ball differently it would make it harder (i feel) for the goalie to anticipate how the ball will come at him

after thinking more about this, for defending fk's it doesn't matter whether it's direct or indirect it's just a free kick. and i definitely like the Long Range idea ... so 4 instructions is still good, just slightly changed ones :p

yeh i agree with above... there should be the option from different type of set pieces who takes the kicks etc

i think you should be able to chose how your team sets up as a whole more easily rather than just have the scroll down options.. imo something like a small pitch (in the training window) where you can drag and drop players around to a position where you want them to line up from certain plays (freekicks direct or indirect and corners )

Ide like it so we can use a system similar to CM, where you controll the players starting position at a corner, there destination and what order the players make their runs in.

yeh sort of like what i said above... make a little pitch or something where u can drop and drag players around for where you want them to line up and let them have arrows where you want them to run. Maybe with this you could make it so they arrive early / late in the box and give your set piece taker(s) to change accordingly

Archived