Away game is suck

Have you never seen a goalkeeper have fantastic game and pull of save after save? I can think of loads. If fact, all the really top keepers do, and that's why there the best. And strikers do miss howlers that my 2 year old cousin could score, so in all fairness, it's realistic.

Have you never seen a goalkeeper have fantastic game and pull of save after save? I can think of loads. If fact, all the really top keepers do, and that's why there the best. And strikers do miss howlers that my 2 year old cousin could score, so in all fairness, it's realistic.

^^ x2... spot on

In addition to your tactics needing adjustment home vs away, you also need to adjust your team talks. If you expect the same all-conquering performance away from home that you do at home, your players will enter the game nervous, and you will see ridiculous misses, and easy saves (which help build a keepers confidence, leading to the mythical "superkeeper") .. you need to take care to reduce the pressure on your players away from home with your team-talks, be more encouraging, and pay attention to those who seem to be "playing with a lot of nerves" - they are ones who have reacted poorly to your team-talk(s).

That sounds like a team-talk problem, to me. I rarely go any more aggressive than "We Can Win This" away from home.

I like "Pick Up Where You Left Off" for my strikers, and "You Can Make the Difference Here" or "Prove a Point!" for strikers at half-time, if those unique individual team-talks are available.

However, your strikers may be particularly bad at handling pressure - I had one striker who really needed to be relaxed all the time. If I told him "No Pressure", he would tend to respond with a one- or two-goal performance, where if I left him on the default Team Talk I was giving to everybody else, he would miss badly. Never quite understood it, but he did well enough once I'd figured out what individual team talk he needed.

I have major issues winning away games at Scunthorpe - we've conceded at least 4 goals in injury time, this despite me changing tactics towards the end of some matches to man mark or tight mark more players, removing forward runs from fullbacks and various other things...I'm hopeless at defensive tactics though so it is to be expected - I do believe there is an element of unrealism about the way some of these late AI goals keep getting scored, but not as big an issue as many people make out - just something that needs tweaking rather than wholesale changes. It's natural teams chase a game more at the end.

When I looked at the split table last night my Scunthorpe team have the 3rd worst away record in The Championship and the 2nd best home record. If we can get something remotely close to some away form together we could challenge for the play-offs, if how home form deserts us we could challenge for relegation instead :p

i take it everyone here has separate training schedules for strikers, mids etc. could it be that having everyone on the same schedule like me could decrease the chance of conceding late goals, especially on the road? logic would say that if the whole team can attack and defend together they'll be more of a unit when they have to. i'm not worried about very heavy training either, and it has worked for me on fm08 better than on fm07.

i do exactly the same as glamdring regarding a complete reverse of tactics to hold a lead. it would obviously work with bigger teams with better players, but i use the same or similar tactics with arsenal, malmo ff in a regen game, sevilla, lewes fc & piacenza.

as far as away games in general, i change my tactics according to the pitch dimensions if my standard .

tactic doesn't work. its not a super tactic or downloaded, just a normal 4-4-2 or slight variation with individual instructions for most players. i lost one game as arsenal in season 09/10, at home to aston villa. sometimes "home game is suck..."

At Scunthorpe I just have everyone on General training schedule because there always seems to be precious little difference when I've created specific schedules for defenders, strikers etc at other clubs so I can't be bothered now since the training module gives very little back now in the way of feedback.

i really notice the difference myself. stats wise, strikers defensive ratings would plummet (on fm07 that is, doesn't really change much on fm08). for me, it just seems to work better like that. first thing i do when i start a new game is import my saved schedule and make sure every area of coaching has at least 4 stars if i can help it. combining aerobic training with fast paced football is a must for me. i do get batches of injuries, strangely in the same positions, but as long as the whole team is on the same page, they'll play how i want them to play. ideally.

i really notice the difference myself. stats wise, strikers defensive ratings would plummet (on fm07 that is, doesn't really change much on fm08).

Ah, well, that's the key. FM07 had much more responsive training - players has far more nice green or nasty red arrows next to their attributes for you to see what was happening. Sure it seemed a bit unrealistic that some weeks loads of players had green arrows everywhere and other weeks red arrows everywhere, but at least it was feedback rather than a measly 1 pale green arrow I tend to see on a player in FM08!

it is however one of the few things which were taken away for fm08 that make more sense. stats are maintained with training more than drastically improved, which is realistic. thats why they fall rapidly during injuries & post season when players are on holiday. i'd prefer more random communication from coaches regarding training like in the older games. i can't be bothered to click on overview on the players screens all the time.

but yeah, a few players do get unhappy with the high workload. i ignore them. van persie was always moaning, yet he was more valuable than aguero or benzema. you would think that unhappy players would show it in their performances, or skip training often. seems to work in reverse...

Archived