It's the little things that count

I love all the little touches FM has, that are purely cosmetic, but just kinda make you smile. E.g. I viewed a Man Utd game and the news report the next day said I was a massive fan and tried to see them when my diary permitted, that really brought a smile to my face and I thought it was a really nice feature.

So, are there any purely cosmetic features you would like to see added to the game, it wouldn't be a big deal if they weren't, but it would just raise a smile?

My suggestion is a manager blob on the match screen. After 14 years of trying I just won the Champions League with FC Bayern, allbeit on penalties, but it really was my holy grail as Bayern manager. As the decisive penalty went in all my players sprinted to the corner of the pitch (presumeably where the fans are) and I just thought it would be nice to see a wee blob with M in the middle running up the line and suddenly being swamped by the players he just helped reach the pinancle of European football :D

Not essential, but just a nice touch.

I would like to be able to create my own playing and management history. It would be mostly cosmetic, although I suppose it might have some impact in terms of my reputation and such.

I guess that doesn't really count as a 'little thing', though.

i like the idea of an animated manager blob on the touchline, although im slightly put off by the idea of running onto the pitch to celebrate.. reminds me too much of david pleat...

I would like to be able to create my own playing and management history. It would be mostly cosmetic, although I suppose it might have some impact in terms of my reputation and such.

I guess that doesn't really count as a 'little thing', though.

You can change your international history using FMM, if that's any consolation

You can change your international history using FMM, if that's any consolation

Do you mean I can change the amount of caps it says I have? Because it's a bit silly being able to set yourself to 'international player' when it always says 'uncapped'.

Do you mean I can change the amount of caps it says I have? Because it's a bit silly being able to set yourself to 'international player' when it always says 'uncapped'.

Yes you can do that with FMM, although I only ever use it to change my age (it automatically puts me at 30).

The manager blob is greatly appreciated here as well. Would it be possible to make him walk up to the 4th official when you want to file a complaint about a penalty or something? That would be nice, but would also mean that you could get sent off as well :-D

Attending a match, where you meet other managers might give the press something to talk about as well. Like: "It seems like both managers were talking about a particular player. While manager X was most probably looking to call him up for the national squad, manager Y, who manages a different national team, seems to be interested in signing him for his club."

Or even: "After witnessing manager X and Y attending the game, it seems they got along well. Is this the beginning of a good friendship?" when you're already on good terms with a particular manager.

Visually, it would be nice to see a flag on the pitch whenever one gets called offside, just before the referee blows the whistle. Perhaps it might even trigger a referee-linesman debate about who is right, when the ref goes up to the linesman to discuss about a fault or so.

Not a suggestion nor quite something that is cosmetic, but still a little thing that exists currently that made me smile was in the player relationships - I know they do have an effect on the game and hence aren't strictly cosmetic, but especially since I was writing a story for the FMS forum it was nice that I didn't have to make up a player-player chemistry between my two favourite players in the team because it was there in game - Diego said he feels he works well with Riquelme and Riquelme said he thinks he works well with Diego. I've seen these type of things lots of times of course and they are sometimes pretty random and not of interest to me, but it was just very pleasing in this case because my entire tactic at Werder Bremen and a key part of what my story was based on was having the two attacking midfielders linking up and playing ultra-creative football - to see that small thing there in FM was as satisfying to me as winning any title in the past :)

You couldn't get sent off unless there was an option to make a complaint during the match.

Is it just me or was there a flag in a previous version? Either that or there was one in a skin I downloaded.

Then, that would be a nice addition: being able to make a complaint during the match. For, like, an offside goal. Players can complain at the ref, why shouldn't you? But then again, I'm sure you'll have to go for a tactics change before you can complain ... ;-)

I never download skins, but I recall having see a flag too. FM 07 perhaps? Makes me wonder why it was removed ...

I never download skins, but I recall having see a flag too. FM 07 perhaps? Makes me wonder why it was removed ...

Yes, it's one of those things that go removed and noone really knows why, like the way you were able to click on an injured player during a match and his profile would tell you what sort of injury it was (it was brouight back for FM08, but why was it ever removed).

Archived