The Official "I Know This Sounds Silly, But..." Thread

This thread is either going to be quite amusing and possibly give us an insight into the eccentricities of the FM player's mind, or people will avoid it like the plague. But here goes..

I'm kinda curious about what things people feel they have 'noticed' about the game that they know sounds silly but that they can't shake off the feeling that it's there. I'm not talking about cheating AI or superkeepers, which, although there's a heated debate about them, probably don't exist (In my opinion, they definitely don't). I'm talking about something that you know sounds irrational or daft, but that you just feel like you keep seeing and no matter how much you tell yourself it's nonsense, you just can't help but feel like it's there.

Here's an example of mine. I am convinced that SI, when making FM08, have coded it in that all Mexican players will develop into gods, and give especially god-like performances against the human manager's team. Time and again, Mexican players (naming no names, as I believe is best practice round here) rip my team to shreds. I know it's ridiculous, but I can't believe how many unstoppable Mexicans I seem to come up against.

So that's mine. The game is biased towards Mexicans. SI are maybe in the pay of the Mexican FA or something. I dunno. But it's there. And now I've said it. That's better. :)

For me, its the chance of facing a team in the cup that you are also going to play in the prem. Say I'm going to play Arsenal in the prem and the FA Cup draw is nearby (the fixture will be played a few days before the Arsenal match). I feel I will get Arsenal if they are in the draw. Seems to happen alot but thats only because I play alot of seasons so it appears to happen more often.

Not there but Im never shocked when it happens :)

Neji you've hit the proverbial nail there mate. I know it happens every now and then IRL, but in game, its just stupid. Every season nearly, I'll draw in the cups who I'm playing at that time in the league. Silly.

Heres mine...

"I know it sounds silly, but the oppo's goals are more often than not one of the following :

First goal of the season

First goal for the club

Scored on his debut"

:mad:

Heres mine...

"I know it sounds silly, but the oppo's goals are more often than not one of the following :

First goal of the season

First goal for the club

Scored on his debut"

I find these occasions more often than not result in a hattrick for said goal scorer

I have one!

The AI always starts players against me who never play against anyone else. I'll be midway through the year and Real Zaragoza will start guys with 1-2 appearances. And here's the conspiracy: they always score! Hmm...

Oh and this is for FM2007 but it's funny. Apparrently, in FM07, Gareth Southgate was a player-manager. I found this out one game against Boro where he PUT HIMSELF IN with just a few minutes left and the bastard scored from a corner kick! I had a large cushion so it didn't matter, but I laughed so hard when he scored!

I know this sounds silly, but ... I believe ADO Den Haag is overrated. Oh, wait, that is true, since the Dutch researcher is a hardcore fan of that club. Doesn't make me any happier when the club promotes to the highest division and plays Champions League the season after that though.

I know this sounds silly, but ... I haven't seen a decent manager for Holland in all those years. And I guess the board there feels the same. In my game they're already so desperate they hired Ruud Gullit again, sigh.

i have to agree with the Arsenal one, seems to happen a lot to me as well... probably notice it more cos i have all sorts of trouble beating them!!

and... i know it sounds silly, but.. when the ball breaks loose on the edge of the box... why does it always fall to Mascherano, who we all know couldnt hit a barn door with a damn tractor?!

I'm convinced that the AI, for whatever reasons, more often than not picks obscure penalty takers and, as a result, end up with said obscure players scoring oddly high amounts of goals.

But then, I suppose this might actually be really there..

I get that one quite often too, when you play against the same team in the league and then in the cup or the other way around. I got this in my Newport County game :), but usually it's just two games in a row. It may sound silly, but it seems to me that it might just happen bit too often.

And another thing. When there's a cup draw, and you click 'draw the next team' and click again and again, and you already know that your team will be the last one, and it will. Has happened to me often enough to feel weird about it.

"i know this sound silly but..."

ai substitutes always score if i haven't had time to confirm opposition instructions for them. whatever their position (mids & forwards), every damn time.

assmen always mash up form & team morale if you go on holiday, no matter how good their stats are.

a title rival will always play the team i've played in the previous fixture for 3 games in a row towrads the end of the season, no more than 3, no less. if i win, they lose (at home), if i lose they draw. all the time.

i always suffer a shock defeat to the team in 19th. home or away, i'll drop points.

always being the operative word.

..why is it, JUST after making three substitutions cos youre playing carp, you seem to get someone injured or sent off...

I would suggest the game is cheating you, but some idiot decided we're not allowed to go there.. ;)

And another thing. When there's a cup draw, and you click 'draw the next team' and click again and again, and you already know that your team will be the last one, and it will. Has happened to me often enough to feel weird about it.

I think there's also a ever so slight pause before your team is drawn out. I can usually tell when I'm coming out of the hat if I'm drawn away.

There is definately a pause, I just assume it's preparation of the news article that immediately appears as soon as your team is drawn.

No. It's the AI deciding whether it's going to let you win the match or not. ;)

Still feel i can watch the text commentary and predict when a goal will go in, I don't think i can but I think it enough remember the times I get it right and then swear at the predictive eye i have, wish it was that easy to play the pools
For me, its the chance of facing a team in the cup that you are also going to play in the prem. Say I'm going to play Arsenal in the prem and the FA Cup draw is nearby (the fixture will be played a few days before the Arsenal match). I feel I will get Arsenal if they are in the draw. Seems to happen alot but thats only because I play alot of seasons so it appears to happen more often.

Not there but Im never shocked when it happens :)

Both of them.

I'll add the classic manager excuse of the fixture list being against me whenever I make it to the Premier League or play in the Premier League.

Even if I get knocked out of both cups early it will just so happen that the teams I was scheduled to play will make it far (or be in Europe) and I'll still end up with a Sat-Wed-Sat-Wed-Sat sequence sometime around February.

And then if I'm in Europe and I get an FA Cup run I'm always guaranteed at least one replay that screws up my fixture list.

I also never seem to get a non-Premier league team in the 3rd round of the League Cup whenever I'm in the Premier League nor have I ever had an 'easy' FA cup run.

I know this sounds silly, but why does it feel like the game knows you are about to quit and then does something to make you feel like you should play that extra couple of games :D

Good one and so true. My current game is my most succesful and I always think to myself 'I'll quit after this game' but I mostly win and I don't like quitting when on a winning streak so I always end up playing loads more games.

I find these occasions more often than not result in a hattrick for said goal scorer
Neji you've hit the proverbial nail there mate. I know it happens every now and then IRL, but in game, its just stupid. Every season nearly, I'll draw in the cups who I'm playing at that time in the league. Silly.

Heres mine...

First goal of the season

First goal for the club

Scored on his debut"

God help you if you have sold the player to a team as he was a sack of garbage, he'll come back and score against you!! Annoys the hell out of me.

when you see the line in commentary "there's only one outcome here!" you just know you're not going to score

The same goes for the notorious "Surely he can't miss!" where my striker with finishing 19 and composure 19, standing 3 meters from the goal without anyone in front of him, blazes it towards the Hubble.

1. I will get either Arsenal or Chelsea away in the FA Cup or League cup's 4th round almost every season.

2. Arsenal or Man Utd will score against me at their ground in the first 10 mins (I know, it's my tactics)

3. If any of my centre midfielders gets a yellow card in the first half the chances are he'll get sent off ... probably for obstruction or tugging someone's jersey ... the idiot

I know this sounds silly, but why does it feel like the game knows you are about to quit and then does something to make you feel like you should play that extra couple of games :D

this is so true often turn it on to play "one game" and am still on it 4 in the morning!!!

When I'm in the process of making a substitution, the other team score - this happens in more than half of my matches :mad:

This goes for tactical changes in general. Whenever I want to make changes, if I forget to click "pause", I can be sure of a harrowing time ahead.

What's worse is when this silly thing combines with another. "And the Eidsvold Turn manager decides to make some tactical changes; wait, what's this, that injured 16-year-old has just scored HIS FIRST GOAL OF THE SEASON in his FIRST GAME EVER in any league! What a nightmare for Eidsvold Turn! Their team are in all sorts of trouble now. The Eidsvold Turn players look aggrieved--surely he was yards offsides?"

I know this sounds silly but....

1. players will always end their goal-scoring droughts against you

2. if rooney scores one, he'll get at least one more

3. if you're one of the big four, you will play at least two of the other big four before the final in both the league cup and fa

No. It's the AI deciding whether it's going to let you win the match or not. ;)

i guessed that aswell

...and oh my gosh i thought the reason we always play the same team in the cup and then prem was put their on purpose

i thought it was the rules of the competetion or something i never knew it was coincedence

that has goto to be a bug because basically the prem fixtures are done before the cup draws

which means we can predict who we will play in the cup , by just looking at the date that it is played each year and who we are about to play in the prem

yeah, the sub/ tactics thing always happens to me,

playing the same team 3 times in the space of 2 weeks, one season in my utd save I played chelsea home and away in the league, fa cup, league cup final and then home and away in the champions league, so thats 6 times in the guts of a month!

returning players score,

worst of all though if I'm on a good run and I check the form table to check whose on my tail I'll proceed to not win for at least 6 or 7 games. If I'm on a bad run I'll look at the form table before every game and it won't make the slightest difference whatsoever...

:D :D :D

I always conceed, whenever I look at the live league table to see where the current result would put me.

I don't do it unless I'm at least three up anymore.

I've actually noticed how whenever I watch the live scores during one of my matches, either Chelsea, Arsenal or United win by at least five and none of them ever lose. I mean, ALWAYS. It seems silly because the games are supposedly going on at the same time as mine, but since I stopped doing it I've noticed myself winning the title before the last weekend of the season and Arsenal/Chelsea battling to even finish in the Champions League spots.

Archived