Is this cheating?

I am Fisher Athletic and after 4 seasons I have made it up to League 1. I have Neymar who is banging in the goals. My board receive an offer from Coritiba for £2.5m which they accept, desperate to keep him I negotiate a new contract and he rejects Coritiba to stay.

Next I think it's possible with Neymar to really cash in so I offer him away for £5m to see if anyone will pay big money. But instead I get a host of clubs offering £1.2m which the board all accept. Then i'm thinking that I can't let him go for that money so I negotiate another contract but this time he agrees to sign for West Brom. I'm furious that the board have accepted £1.2m when they just had a bid for £2.5m.

I then exited the game without saving returning to the game prior to any bids.

Is this cheating? I believe there is still things that need to be fixed with transfers etc.

As others have said, it's your game, play it how you would like. I know in situations like that, losing your star player is a really frustrating time in FM but you have to deal with it in some ways, whether it'd be move on or go back in time and do what you did.

If you're having fun, that's all that matters.

if you think its cheating it is

if you dont it isnt :)

Time to give my Conference team a 100,000 seater stadium and 1 billion pounds :)

And yeah it is cheating, and its your own fault for offering your best player out

But if you want to reload reload, makes no impact on me so i dont care

it's irritating cos i've been wronged by an obvious bug or flaw in the game. i love my fisher game but i don't know if i can carry on with this one as i do feel dishonest!

I wouldn't call it a bug, your board obviously have an idea what they will accept for the player it's just that the 1st bid was in excess of that amount.

No, its a bug, no board would ever let you refuse an offer and then sell for 50% of the price a day later. Its happened to me too, I turned down £25m for a player, the next week the board accepts £13m.

It definately isn't a bug, IMO it's a good addition to the game, but maybe isn't worded properly etc. Think of it like this; you get offered £25m and the board start rubbing their hands together thinking oh good lots of money, but then you reject it, the board then think "what a bleedin' idiot".

If the game worded it "club X board accepted the offer on the managers behalf after being disappointed by his decision to refute previous offers", less people would claim it was a bug when it quite clearly isn't. I think it probably happens all the time in football, but we just don't find out about it because it would damage the perceived authority of the manager.

OP, yes, it's cheating, but you play the game whatever way you want.

It definately isn't a bug, IMO it's a good addition to the game, but maybe isn't worded properly etc. Think of it like this; you get offered £25m and the board start rubbing their hands together thinking oh good lots of money, but then you reject it, the board then think "what a bleedin' idiot".

If the game worded it "club X board accepted the offer on the managers behalf after being disappointed by his decision to refute previous offers", less people would claim it was a bug when it quite clearly isn't. I think it probably happens all the time in football, but we just don't find out about it because it would damage the perceived authority of the manager.

It's not a bug but a deeply flawed feature that should be removed if it doesn't work properly. 80% of scenarios I've had with it are unrealistic. The board not considering selling on fees, selling players to fierce rivals, selling while having millions in the bank etc..

Features like this must work flawlessly if they are to be included. There really is no excuse when a bugged feature like this or the flawed confidence system for example ruins a long term save. The game shouldn't just aim to frustrate players.

The problem is you wanted to keep him so someone offered 2.5mil as they thought that is what it would take and your board accepted. By offering him out you were sending the signal to your board that he was no longer needed and the same message to potential buyers, so they offer less and unsuprisingly your board accepts. Don't see anything flawed in the game about that.

So yes you cheated to fix a problem you caused yourself but then as said a few times its up to you.

In this instance this is definitely not a bug. The board felt that £2.5m pounds was a good price for that player and accepted it (they are after all looking to make money in the end just like any other business). The Opening Poster then offered the player a new contract in the hope that they'd stay (which you would not be allowed to do in real life by the way) and the player accepted this and stayed, which would probably upset the board somewhat in real life.

The opening poster then, after managing to keep the player, decides to offer him out to all clubs hoping to get more cash. Considering that the board had recently accepted a bid of £2.5m no club in their right mind is now going to bid more than that, most likely they'll try their luck bidding less. At the same time the board still feels they'd like some money from the player so accepts what bids they get.

Seems perfectly reasonable to me. Remember, in real life a clubs board will have a massive amount of say in whether any bid is accepted. This feature may be slightly flawed at times, and is one of the areas that could do with being expanded, but in this instance it seems perfectly reasonable.

And to answer the original question, yes it is cheating. You were a fool to think teams would be willing to bid more than the amount that had already been accepted by the board and should therefore live with your mistake. However, it's your game and you can play it any way you like, but if your striving for realism than you shouldn't have quit without saving.

In this instance this is definitely not a bug. The board felt that £2.5m pounds was a good price for that player and accepted it (they are after all looking to make money in the end just like any other business). The Opening Poster then offered the player a new contract in the hope that they'd stay (which you would not be allowed to do in real life by the way) and the player accepted this and stayed, which would probably upset the board somewhat in real life.

The opening poster then, after managing to keep the player, decides to offer him out to all clubs hoping to get more cash. Considering that the board had recently accepted a bid of £2.5m no club in their right mind is now going to bid more than that, most likely they'll try their luck bidding less. At the same time the board still feels they'd like some money from the player so accepts what bids they get.

Seems perfectly reasonable to me. Remember, in real life a clubs board will have a massive amount of say in whether any bid is accepted. This feature may be slightly flawed at times, and is one of the areas that could do with being expanded, but in this instance it seems perfectly reasonable.

And to answer the original question, yes it is cheating. You were a fool to think teams would be willing to bid more than the amount that had already been accepted by the board and should therefore live with your mistake. However, it's your game and you can play it any way you like, but if your striving for realism than you shouldn't have quit without saving.

Hehe, we can be fairly sure that they didn't put that much thought when they coded it. Its just down to half-assed coding.

Hehe, we can be fairly sure that they didn't put that much thought when they coded it. Its just down to half-assed coding.

That's probably true, my example was more aimed at what would happen in real life. The point remains thought that imo it's perfectly reasonable for the board to accept a lower offer than one they previously accepted, particularly if the manager's gone over their heads in an attempt to keep the player in question.

I don't see a problem with what has happened here since the board accepted both bids, it just shows that the value they were happy to sell him for was lower than you originally thought. I think the reason the second bid was lower was because you had offered the player out, you always seem to get much better offers for players who you are not making an effort to get rid of.

Definitely cheating though, you got stung for being greedy and should accept it.

I understand where people are coming from when they get offered £25m and reject it then the board accepts £13m, but £13m is probably more realistic and the ridiculous £25m bid is more than likely a result of the inflated transfer fees thing. £13m is still a good amount of money for a majority of players.

Its cheating, and with all due respect i detest cheating.

But all to your own, play it how you want.

Give over! What a clown. You detest cheating! Well, who doesn't, when it actually matters e.g. In a proper game, in the Tour de France or on your wife. He's playing football manager for goodness sake. Get a reality check.

I would be very surprised indeed if there was one football manager player who hasn't cheated at some point. Sure, you'll all deny it because you've got a high horse to sit on. Or, you'll justify it in some way e.g. it's because of "an obvious bug in the game". It's nothing to be ashamed of you know.

I think everyone should come out of the closet, sit in a big circle and have a big cathartic session, describing how we cheated. We can all sit there tutting, shaking our heads, and ultimately make a note of the cheat and trying it out ourselves. ;-)

Give over! What a clown. You detest cheating! Well, who doesn't, when it actually matters e.g. In a proper game, in the Tour de France or on your wife. He's playing football manager for goodness sake. Get a reality check.

I would be very surprised indeed if there was one football manager player who hasn't cheated at some point. Sure, you'll all deny it because you've got a high horse to sit on. Or, you'll justify it in some way e.g. it's because of "an obvious bug in the game". It's nothing to be ashamed of you know.

I think everyone should come out of the closet, sit in a big circle and have a big cathartic session, describing how we cheated. We can all sit there tutting, shaking our heads, and ultimately make a note of the cheat and trying it out ourselves. ;-)

My name is Craig and I have in the past cheated at FM. I've been known to use Genie scout as well as the worst sin of quitting and reloading after a defeat.

I've been clean for over a year now :thup:

I wouldnt say its exactly cheating, you were asking for 5mil and the other clubs probably wouldnt have come in with 1.2 had you not experimented with the offer out. As some people are saying it's your game do what you want.

I am Fisher Athletic and after 4 seasons I have made it up to League 1. I have Neymar who is banging in the goals. My board receive an offer from Coritiba for £2.5m which they accept, desperate to keep him I negotiate a new contract and he rejects Coritiba to stay.

Next I think it's possible with Neymar to really cash in so I offer him away for £5m to see if anyone will pay big money. But instead I get a host of clubs offering £1.2m which the board all accept. Then i'm thinking that I can't let him go for that money so I negotiate another contract but this time he agrees to sign for West Brom. I'm furious that the board have accepted £1.2m when they just had a bid for £2.5m.

I then exited the game without saving returning to the game prior to any bids.

Is this cheating? I believe there is still things that need to be fixed with transfers etc.

Depends how you take it. Personally I'd find it silly that the board accepts that kind of an offer. The fact that you can't talk to the board and talk them out of it is also silly... So, no, I wouldn't consider it cheating.

I've been known to use FMM to increase my transfer money. But that was more because I like wheeling and dealing than because I wanted to glean advantage from it. It's still cheating, though, and I accept that.

I've found that the way you play the game changes with age, so when you get a bit older cheating just does seem wrong and ruins the game. When I was 15 I was trying to fill my squad with the best players in the world, even if what I already has was very good, and i'd end up spending an absolute fortune. 10 years on and my most expensive transfer in 13 years at FC Bayern was £9m for Uche in season 3, the second largest is £3.5 :D Most seasons I have about 75% of the transfer budget remaining at the end of the season, so there's no real need to cheat anymore.

I've found that the way you play the game changes with age, so when you get a bit older cheating just does seem wrong and ruins the game. When I was 15 I was trying to fill my squad with the best players in the world, even if what I already has was very good, and i'd end up spending an absolute fortune. 10 years on and my most expensive transfer in 13 years at FC Bayern was £9m for Uche in season 3, the second largest is £3.5 :D Most seasons I have about 75% of the transfer budget remaining at the end of the season, so there's no real need to cheat anymore.

As I've become older, I've gotten more and more obsessed with realism. But what's especially surprising (for me, anyway) is that I take more enjoyment from immersing myself in this fantasy world we call FM than I did when I was a kid. As you grow up, playing (which is what it essentially is) is supposed to be something you stop doing. But it seems to mean more to me than it did when I was a kid.

OK another situation....... is this cheating?

I was playing with too defensive midfielders and not getting the results i was expecting.... after about 30 games i tried a not so good but attack-minded midfielder and dropped one of my defensive midfielders... sure enough my results picked up, but after 5 games (winning 4 out of 5) had a power cut...

my last saved game was after about ten games and i made the switch immediately and ended up in the play-offs and about 6-7 positions higher!!

is this cheating??

Riazzi_G, that's not cheating, it's not your fault there was a power cut and you use whatever tactic you think is best. Given the logic of FM even if you had used your old tactic in a bid to lose, you probably would have won :p

Riazzi_G, that's not cheating, it's not your fault there was a power cut and you use whatever tactic you think is best. Given the logic of FM even if you had used your old tactic in a bid to lose, you probably would have won :p

oh no, it was the same tactic, but i had two DMC's playing in central midfield, but i changed it too one DMC and one AMC.... so i was choosing a different player...

But i agree its not cheating!

rather than starting a new thread i thought i'd post the same the question in this thread.

i am playing as a lower league team and as much as i was enjoying myself i felt like going a bigger team. so i added a new manager and went the manager of everton. i am now managing two different teams with two different profiles. is this cheating?

rather than starting a new thread i thought i'd post the same the question in this thread.

i am playing as a lower league team and as much as i was enjoying myself i felt like going a bigger team. so i added a new manager and went the manager of everton. i am now managing two different teams with two different profiles. is this cheating?

Only if you were to sell your lower league rubbish to Everton for £10million!

There's no such thing as cheating in a game you are playing by yourself...or at least the only person you are cheating is yourself and if you are happy with it then no-one else matters unless the AI suddenly develops a brain and an embodiment and starts complaining at you from inside your computer...

As far as point of whether or not it is a bug is concerned...people seem to be making the assumption that the boards of all football club contain people who act with a high degree of intelligence. This I perceive to be a fatal flaw in the argument!

I understand where people are coming from when they get offered £25m and reject it then the board accepts £13m, but £13m is probably more realistic and the ridiculous £25m bid is more than likely a result of the inflated transfer fees thing. £13m is still a good amount of money for a majority of players.

In my case, it was for one of the best players in the world no board in the world would let a manager turn down £25m and then sell to a team in the same division for £13m a couple of days later.

In my case, it was for one of the best players in the world no board in the world would let a manager turn down £25m and then sell to a team in the same division for £13m a couple of days later.

How were the bids structured? £13m up front is very attractive, compared to £25m over 24 months (or less, with added clauses).

The problem is you wanted to keep him so someone offered 2.5mil as they thought that is what it would take and your board accepted. By offering him out you were sending the signal to your board that he was no longer needed and the same message to potential buyers, so they offer less and unsuprisingly your board accepts. Don't see anything flawed in the game about that.

So yes you cheated to fix a problem you caused yourself but then as said a few times its up to you.

The point is if wanted to send out a message that i didn't want him then i would have listed him as not needed, however he was indispensible.

It seems a resounding argument that i did cheat so i have quitted my game in which 3 promotions in 4 seasons as i do feel dishonest.

However i do hold firm that the game is flawed. This player was my Ronaldo. I had £4m in the bank and irl no board would just accept the bid, most probably they would at least try and negotiate up to the prior fee of £2.5m

The problem is si wanted to get with the times and try to introduce a degree of board interference but sometimes it doesn't make fiscal sense in any way. I went back to my game for an experiment and i negotiated the original coritiba offer to £3.5m which they also offered. So a club was actually prepared to pay £3.5m when the board accepted bids of £1.2m over my head.

Good debate though, good contributions.

Archived