Oldest Football Managers

As everyone knows you can choose your age, Some people like to play themselves at as a 40year old for example . I always choose the earliest age ( 32 i think )

If you get to the age of about 80 +. What happens .. do you get forced to retire or do you keep playing til you get bored ?

bit un-realistic for a great game, would prefer it if like it came up with a message saying

'The board regret to announce that they have decided to let go so n so , as they feel a fresher and younger manager could lead the club forward'

27 is the youngest you can start at IIRC, if you go younger than that it automatically sets your age as 30. If I got to the age of 80 or so I would just retire and add a new manager at the same club, would be irritated at giving up my reputation etc, but it would just feel better than pretending to be 100 and dancing on the sidelines.

bit un-realistic for a great game, would prefer it if like it came up with a message saying

'The board regret to announce that they have decided to let go so n so , as they feel a fresher and younger manager could lead the club forward'

Fun > Realism. If you want realism, you retire when you get to 80. If you're not that bothered and still enjoying your game, then carry on. Thats all. Forced retirement is a horrible idea.

Christ I don't. I remember playing a fantastic career game in Champ Manager 96/97 where I started off with Brentford and managed Cambridge, Arsenal, Norwich and so on. It was a brilliant game, probably the most fun I've had on an FM/CM title. Eventually Gillingham were re-promoted into the football league so I took over them when they had no players. I basically did really really well winning promotions and, after a few years got them into Division One (now the Championship). I won promotion and I remember I had a young right winger I was looking forward to playing in the Premiership and I thought my striker would bang in a few goals, I was really excited and signed a couple of players to boost my squad.

Then came the message of doom.

"The year is now 2025 (or whatever it was), you have been managing for 30 years and it is now time to retire". I was absolutely gutted. So please, never ever bring this option in again. Never!

:D

To be honest, I started with a twenty five year old manager in one of my previous saves on FM 07 (which sadly went the way of the dodo).

Now - I tend to go for a manager in the early to mid-thirties. Seems a little more sensible - and realistic (despite most of the Euro 2008 managers being in their sixties or seventies). ^_^

27 is the youngest you can start at IIRC, if you go younger than that it automatically sets your age as 30. If I got to the age of 80 or so I would just retire and add a new manager at the same club, would be irritated at giving up my reputation etc, but it would just feel better than pretending to be 100 and dancing on the sidelines.

25 is the youngest you can start at. I always start at it.

add a new manager with a the same last name and a different first name .. call him your son :p

I do this!

Actually, I use the same first name as well (because it's my name) but stick a Jr. on the end.

I've recently started with a grandson...

Lol, when I looked at the title of this thread I thought it was a topic about the real age of the people that play it and come to this forum, and I was very curious to see who actually is the oldest in here. Disappointing that it is not what this is about :D

we can make it that if you want :D you start and tell us your age first :)

i just got a son after my first season :D,

That's just lucky really ain't it. I come off a 37-year save and BAM, you've got a son.

I just genie'd him aswell, potential of 174, this could be interesting

Typical! Some of us try for years to get a son and you get one without even trying! :p

i usually start about 35 or so, pretending i've went straight from die-hard club captain into a manager role, like Southgate but much better, or Keane, but sadly not as good as him.

That's how I like to imagine I'm starting out, I go into the advanced options and set 'professional footballer', pick the club I spent most of my time at as the favourite and then usually go and manage another struggling lower league club (as if I'd spent my last season or two at a lower level and then joined the coaching staff). I normally take my own birthday and add 10 years to it, which makes me the same age as Jim Gannon!

Archived