Download & CDRom Version compatibility etc...

Hiya,

I've just come out to Turkey to work until xmas and stupidly i've left my FM cdrom back in the UK... :(

After trawling through various searches on the forums i've found the game downloadable from Virgin Media for £20 (an expensive and painful reminder to pack the important things first when travelling) but just wondering how this will 'interact' with my currently installed version of fm.

I'm thinking it will be best if i uninstall the current version completely then reinstall the digital version (as this'll leave all my saved games/tactics etc intact). My current version is patched up to 8.02 and the one on the website says it's version 8.02 to so all looks good from there in tems of compatibility... Has anyone any experience of this - i think it'll be fine but want to check before pressing the big shiny 'buy' button - 4 months is too long to wait without playing!!

Secondly - dont know if anyone knows if this'll still work with the mini-scout?

Cheers

You won't have any problems. I would, as you said uninstall the CD-ROM version and just install the DD version. It will still load all your saves and I'm pretty sure mini-scout does work, if not Genie and FMM definately do.

Yep - it's normally something less important i forget like my toothbrush!! ;)

Crisis averted now anyway, thanks gents... All downloaded and installed and once again my finger is glued to continue, and my head to my hands! :)

The CD posting thing would be easier admittedly - but need one of them wife things i've been hearing about for that! Trouble being young & footloose is i'v only got the seventy something old dear next door locally with keys and didnt fancy trying to explain - it'd be like teaching my grandad how to use sky+ all over again (or spending an FM season as the mighty potters!)... Plus this way i havent had to wait too long!

I will admit at being disappointed with the download speeds from the aforementioned site - i've 'tested' the hotel download rate aready and know it's pretty good but it was laughable (32 - 80 kb). Don't know if it was a one off or not but will thankfully make me think twice about using it again - they've got loads of nice little shiny things on there i could buy otherwise :)

Archived