Reserve & Youth Squads

I was just wondering how much attention should you pay to these 2 squads....

I know it is important to give some of you reserves a run out now and then to help them develop and keep them happy, but other than that is there more you should do?

Also when the results of your reserve and youth squads come through as reports from your ass-man, what can you use this information for? or is it just for the sake of having it there?

i just use the reports by my assman to tell me if there are any players in form / playing well in the reserves. Sometimes these players are worthy of a run out in the first team (even if it may not seem they are ready) since their form carries them into the competitive arena.

For your first question, there isnt really much that you can do unless you want to actually manage the squad which can sometimes be a bit of fun just managing youngsters. As you said, just give the ones with potential a run out every now and then and use the reserves to develop. Also loan some of the players out since the reserve league doesnt mean anything at all and is non-competive in england.

If you were managing in spain or somewhere where the reserve teams are in the lower leagues i tend to not loan out the players and keep the decent youngsters in there for a bit longer since they are getting competitive first team football still and that team can get promoted (only into the league below you) which leads to the players getting better experience.

all in all, just keep an eye out for how the players are playing in these leagues and use them for fitness for when thye make the step up into the first team. I reguarly check stats etc to see how they are playing aswell as consulting the team reports

Cheers for the input guys, very helpful...

acording to my Ass-man my worst youth players potential is 3 stars, which isn't too bad considering half the first teams potential is 4 stars, and this guy is the only one with that PA.

Ummm yeah i loan out some of my reserves as I'm in serbia and reserve leagues the same as england. I have 15 loaned out at the moment. I generally loan out all the teens not eligible for the youth squad,

I focus on my youth system mostly, most of my future players come from. Reserve i mostly only have oldies that are going to retire so i can make 'em a coach. ;) . Besides the under 18's can play in the reserve league.

yeh i tend to set all my reserve squad (who arent going to play in the first team at all) up for loan. Normally about half of them go to clubs which leaves a few left for the reserve league. I ALWAYS loan my promising youngsters if they are not going to get first team footie and arent being tutored.

Affiliated clubs help loaning out some of the unwanted players, so they help out at bit

As I said in the wishlist-thread with the following post: http://community.sigames.com/showpost.php?p=1420285&postcount=2942

I prefer to see my Assistant Manager to point out players he believes are ready to play a senior game, rather than telling me how well this or that player does. So I share your feelings about not feeling anything when he simply gives you that info.

As for my youngsters, I generally get them tutored and if they are too old for the youth team, I might put them on a loan. Seeing how I have the sheer luck of having feeder clubs in the 6th division of Germany, or the 3rd division in Belgium, while managing the top division in Holland, there is no chance they will improve there much better than in my reserve squad. Which, incidentally, still gives me the chance to tutor them. I only loan out players who I believe are finished with all the tutors I want them to be tutored with, or players who I believe are good enough to play for my first team - if I didn't have already other, better players there.

I also noted that my best striker AND my best youngest striker are still regarded as 'Decent players', while they bag twice as many goals as the players who are considered Quality players. So don't always believe you Assistant Manager - also go with your gut feeling whenever it tells you something.

Exactly. I managed the TNS youth team myself though and got 2 first team players from them now. Ceri Morgan is magnificent... Assistant said we need to offload him and a year later he got voted Wales Young player of the Year. So ha! take that ASSistant manager! ;)

And I dont know if its true but it seems my youngsters learn more when I manage then. I dont know if thats true though but my feeling tells me it is. Perhaps seeing I give some of the creative freedom and some long shots. And they seem to learn quick(er).

Exactly. I managed the TNS youth team myself though and got 2 first team players from them now. Ceri Morgan is magnificent... Assistant said we need to offload him and a year later he got voted Wales Young player of the Year. So ha! take that ASSistant manager! ;)

And I dont know if its true but it seems my youngsters learn more when I manage then. I dont know if thats true though but my feeling tells me it is. Perhaps seeing I give some of the creative freedom and some long shots. And they seem to learn quick(er).

maybe they get played more when you are incharge of them rather than the assman rotating them with other youngsters who he thinks are apparently "better" than the ones that you think (and probably are) more talented and better for the future

Archived