Ram

I currently only have 256mb of RAM and its really slow when playing FM. I can only run a small amount of leagues without it being too slow. I'm thinking about upgrading my RAM to 1GB. Would this make a difference and make my computer and FM run fast. And also how much would it cost.

I went on crucial.com and it scanned my computer. My computer is a Dell Dimension DE051 but on the website it scanned it and it said compatible memory upgrades for your Dell Dimension 1100. Would it be safe for me to buy the memory for the 1100 to put in the DE051.

RAM won't just improve it, you will need to check your processor speed as you can find throwing more RAM at a problem won't always be a solution.

Most machines with 256MB of RAM aren't likely to have any decent sort of Processor.

I went on crucial.com and it scanned my computer. My computer is a Dell Dimension DE051 but on the website it scanned it and it said compatible memory upgrades for your Dell Dimension 1100. Would it be safe for me to buy the memory for the 1100 to put in the DE051.

thanks for that site!

If your machine supports dual channel then putting in modules with differing specs can lead to issues. There was a post in the Bugs forum of someone continuously having crash dumps. He removed one of his 1 GB modules and the crash dumps stopped. I didn't query him on the specifics but it sounded like he just bought a new 1 GB module and lashed it in.

So if you start to have issues afterwards that might be the cause.

Incidentally as I said before whether or not it makes a difference depends on the size of your game. I upgraded to 1 GB yet Windows or FM or both still placed roughly the same amount of the loaded FM game into Physical RAM and the same amount into Virtual Memory with the same background processes running. So it didn't speed up my game in any way.

If your machine supports dual channel then putting in modules with differing specs can lead to issues. There was a post in the Bugs forum of someone continuously having crash dumps. He removed one of his 1 GB modules and the crash dumps stopped. I didn't query him on the specifics but it sounded like he just bought a new 1 GB module and lashed it in.

So if you start to have issues afterwards that might be the cause.

Incidentally as I said before whether or not it makes a difference depends on the size of your game. I upgraded to 1 GB yet Windows or FM or both still placed roughly the same amount of the loaded FM game into Physical RAM and the same amount into Virtual Memory with the same background processes running. So it didn't speed up my game in any way.

damn that memory stick doesn't fit on my slots. Well, ill go shopping for 2gb them.

Archived