Unusual Stadium Move

After going back to play FM07 for a little while, playing a long-term game as Harrogate Town after just been promoted to the premiership it was announced that Harrogate were going to move stadium while their own stadium is being redeveloped.

Now I was expecting to move temporally to Elland Road again having spent a few months playing the previous season there, but to my surprise (or curiosity) they decided to move to the Belle Vue Stadium. Apparently this stadium was used by Doncaster Rovers up to about 2006 after which they moved stadium and Belle Vue was left to be demolished but before which, most of it was blown up in a gas explosion.

So now my newly promoted side now has to play premiership football (until about March) in a stadium which resembles a bomb site/war zone.

Has any else had an unusual temporary ground move?

Yeah i had a very similar thing on FM07 when playing as Bromley. During a stadium expansion i moved to Highbury for a while (around 2012ish). So essentially we were playing our matches between a load of new flats! I haven't done a similar game on FM08 so i don't know whether its still possible to play at 'extinct' stadiums.

was it definitely Doncaster's old ground?? only ask because a friend had a similar thing in his save, but it was the Belle Vue ground in Wakefield (where they play the super league games) they moved to, not Doncaster....

edit: its where Wakefield & Emley FC used to play before they went their seperate ways... Wakefield FC now play at the sports club at the end of my street!!

Even if the "stadium" still exists it sounds like your board looked for the cheapest option they could find to rent a stadium - from what I can remember Belle Vue used to be considered one of the worst "stadia" (I use that word very approximately) in the entire league, not even worthy for Doncaster to play League 2 football in! Then of course is the fact that Doncaster is freakin miles away from Harrogate unless I have my geography mixed up. I'd imagine there are at least 10 better grounds miles closer!

Archived