I turned down Real Madrid

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I turned down Barcelona. I had won literally everything for Arsenal for 3 years and went unbeaten in the league for 93 games. I fancied a new challenge when Barcelona and Milan came a knocking. Milan with pretty similar team to these days finished 17th in the league somehow. So i turned Barcelona down as I thought i could win the league with the same team that came 17th :)

I was tottenham, just won the Fa Cup and League Cup. Midway in the next season, Roma came knocking with a transfer kitty of 121 million. However as I was leading the premier league, i turned them down. I won the Premier league, and moved to Barcelona :)

While managing Svilengrad in the Bulgarian B Group (lowest league in Bulgaria), I turned down Greenock Morton after they got promoted to the SPL. Yes, not as impressive as turning down Real Madrid, but while your managing in such an obscure league in Eastern Europe and getting linked to a team in the SPL, that's pretty huge. Not to mention I was at Svilengrad only for 1 season and we finished 8th while the media prediction was 12th (relegated). That decision made me feel pretty important though. :D

Playing with Sheffield United in my 3rd season (and after winning EPL, FA cup and UEFA cup in that last season), several big clubs approached to me, including Barcelona, Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Valencia and AC Milan.

Turned all down.

And that's because my team is playing exactly what I think of football.

Maybe when I finish my (new) contract I will consider a move...

After winning 3 titles, 4 CL's & 23 other cups with Arsenal 0 I had the chance to join Inter, Milan, Barcelona, Madrid and Manchester UTD but I turned them all down to join At. Madrid who had just finished 7th!

Took the Mk Dons to the Prem, but we struggled and were going to get relegated. Suddenly lots of jobs came up and i was linked with them all. I was asked about it by the press and kept saying i was happy where i was. the board loved me for it.

Then after relegation we hit pre-season and Ajax are interested. I tell the press that I would listen to their offer... and the MK Donsd board sack me!

Ungrateful swines... :(

I do a Peterborough every year and after a season I usually get offered the likes of Villa, Reading and the like. In this years game Liverpool came in for me and I told them to get lost, AC too. I never leave them, its one of those projects you do every year in FM.

Forgot the best of all, lol, in FM 07 after getting Dundalk to the champions league group stage I got offered the West Ham Job at christmas so I took it and saved under a different file name when they were bottom of the premiership, I won 5 out of my first 7 games and the ungrateful shower sacked me for being in 14th saying they wanted european football and weren't going to achieve it with me this season!!!! Ended up not getting a job for 2 years after that so I just gave up on that save,lol!

:D :D :D

Just turned down Liverpool to stay with Crewe, I want to take Crewe to the premier league plus they only offered a transfer budget of £9.5 million. I doubt nay budget could get me away from Crewe at the moment.

I've turned down quite a few teams.

I took Oldham to the Championship in my first season and after another 2 season of mid table obscurity my 4th season brought me a play-off final which I lost in injury time 1-0, after being in 2nd for most of the season and ended up finishing 4th after a dreadful spate of injuries ruined the final few weeks of the season. Although I didn't achieve promotion it didn't stop Spurs, Bolton, West Brom and oddly Lille all coming in for my services during the close season. Needless to say I turned them all down and the following season stormed the league and finally reached the holy grail of the Premier League. A great first season in the Prem saw Oldham finish 9th and me finally move on to Liverpool. It was to good an oppotunity (IMO) to turn down, as they had just finished 13th and had only 16 mil transfer budget and an ageing squad and the board demanded Continetal Qualification. I didn't enjoy it though, I wish I had saved it before I took over the Liverpool job. I sold Torres and the squad went mental for selling such an important player and I never really recovered and on Jan 2nd I moved to Roma who were 4th in Serie A just 5 points of the top. I went on to win the league, but I must admit, I went wish I'd stayed at Oldham. Who knows what would have happend?

Only team I've turned down so far is Czech Republic. I was tempted to take it and keep on managing Man. United. But I figured I'd wait for a more high-profile job. Sorry if I've offended any Czechs. I know you guys got to Euro 2008 and we didn't and I know you've been above us in the FIFA rankings since Noah and some animals went boating.

I signed a player for the New York Red Bulls and it took me over my wage cap which stopped the game continuing. However, there was literally nothing I could do that didn't require a continue to be processed, so I was effectively stuck. Stuck, and miffed.

I don't know. But what I will say is that, on the face of it, the MLS seems like an awesome choice for a game. But all the damn rules (which, I realise, are entirely realistic) just make it cloying. I'm definitely wanting to try something different on FM09, though.

And he has always said that...............he still, technically speaking, turned them down this summer.

He didn't turn them down, though. At no point did he say no to Real. It was United that did all the saying no. Ronaldo made his desire clear and left it at that.

Archived