Flaw on the match engine favours attackers

no that iv played over 5 seasons in the last 3 weeks on extended highlights im begining to see patterns..

Every now and then, regaurdless of how good the defenders are or there morale the game sudenly favours attacking players, Defenders turn into sunday league players.. Im getting sick of high scoring games of what looks like defensive blunders are actually flaws in the match engine..

My lates high scoring game was 4-4. im at home to Newcastle, i take an early lead and dominate the possesion. before you know it im 4-1 down all from what looks like defensive blunders, but IMO it's down to the match engine forcing errors apoun defenders, with acouple subs i manage to pull i tback to 4-4.

1st of im extatic i take the lead and am playing well dominating the game, then im andry cos depsit dominating the game, suddenly newcastle spawn 4 goals because my defnce start doing thing's out side of there tactical instructions, now they take a 4-1 lead, and yet again due to the match engine suddenly im back to 4-4, im thrilled i got a draw. this happens way to much it seems, iv seen teams pump 4's and 5's away to teams like liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea who are top 3 every year in my league..

id of rather had an entertaining game and drew 1-1 with lots of good defensive play by both sides.

i think Attackers are favoured way to mutch over Defenders.

has any one else got any issues about these same issues?

In defense of the match engine it's a tough balance to get right. They are trying to make something that is scripted not look scripted. Most goals in real life football come from defensive lapses or player skill creating space. We accept it as happening because it is real life but when it happens in the match engine we know there is code 'making' it happen so it can be hard to not feel as if it was contrived. Believe me I've looked at goals and thought 'how bloody convenient' when a striker with poor off the ball and anticipation waltzes away from a defender with high concentration, marking etc who is set to tight man mark him. The problem is if the balance in attacking vs defending behaviour is too close then in a deterministic environment like a model of a match nothing would happen as they would just cancel each other out.

But at the same time I do agree with you and I'm hoping that defensive movement and behaviour improves in 09 in the same way I felt attacking behaviour and movement improved in 08. It's too difficult for a top quality defender to put a poor opposition striker in his pocket on this version. Just my opinion and experience of it :)

I've also had times when the attacker speeds into the box, only to have the ball hacked away from his feet.

Also VDV slammed a ball in hard and i was thinking 'good job lad,'only for the ball to hit the post and into the keepers' arms!

Archived