Games similar to FM you played in the past

When i first played Football Manager it was the 2008 version. i start playing it last year when it was first available. I wasn't very interested in these kind of games, but i already played Actual Manager a couple of years ago :p

Actual Manager is really bad my friends :D But oh well, it was the first time i was playing these type of games.

This was some 4/5 years ago. You could only play Italian or English teams i think, but there where lots of games. On the total, i never won any trophy, but i almost won the league with AC Milan. In the last week, me and the club in second were with the same points. They won, and i lost some 4-0 to a crap team i think. So i had with that game

Them i played AliFoot 2006 (?) :p

Again AliFoot is VERY incomplete. Dont know if its still alive. it didnt had the Champions League, UEFA cup or any other intercontinental competitions and cups (such has the euro and world cup).

The game only had the league and the country cup (like the english premiership and English super cup). Only 2 competitions.

The game was so, sO boring i quit it a few weeks later.

And them i got FM 2008 that rocks my socks

Great game :)

I started on LMA Manager on PSX. It was brilliant but then I started talking to a guy at school and he insisted I tried Champion Manager. Never heard of it. Never gone back since though!

Oh and this thread will probably get closed/moved as it's not actually about FM :)

I started with Premier Manager on the Amiga 600, was an awesome game. Just used to loads of strikers and play a 3-2-5 long ball game with Wycombe. Totally used to dominate.

First Championship Manager i had was 93/94 expansion pack on the amiga again, was so awful at it to be honest.

First windows version of CM i had was 98/99 i think had every SI release since then i think.

Oh dear, do I have to list them all? Championship Manager 2, Premier Manager '98, Championship Manager 01-02, the old EA one I don't even remember the name of now maybe Premier League Manager?, two named after two famous managers which I don't remember now, some PBEM game I don't remember any more, of course the new Championship Manager and FM/WWSM .. and that's just the footie side of it.

I love the sports-management genre, so I've also spent plenty of time with other games in other sports, most notably Eastside Hockey Manager, Out of the Park Baseball, PureSim Baseball, Earl Weaver Baseball, Front Office Football, NFL Head Coach, FoF: The College Years, Bowl Bound College Football, two horse racing sims that didn't grab me, Grand Prix Manager and GP Manager 2 ...

... and I've even tried to play Madden as a manager/head coach game ;) plus written my own not-worth-publishing experiments in horse racing, football, baseball, hockey, ultimate frisbee, and forumla one.

I started with CM 97/98 i think back in the day. Feels such a long time ago now and i'd love to play it again just to see how bad it is compared to the newer FM games lol.

Then i played a couple of the console manager games such as total club manager and LMA before my mate told me to play FM 07. And as Neji said, I've not gone back.

I started on Playstation with FA Manager. I then moved on to Total Club Manager, Alex Ferguson Manager and LMA Manager. I also played Player Manager. These were all on the Playstation. My first PC version was Championship Manager 3 and had played every year's up until the SI/Eidos split before I obviously decided Football Manager was now the best. :D

Total Club Manager 2005. About the only piece of software I've seen that requires you to change BIOS settings to prevent crashes (thanks a lot, EA!). Was fun but utterly bugged - you could scout anywhere and the players they would return with would usually be at Henry-standard. It became so easy to dominate the game - they gave point values to players and at times, my squad would easily be 25-30% "better" than my nearest title contender. Eventually, it got to the point where finishing the entire season winning every single game was pretty easy.

I started off with Sensible World of Soccer (Amiga), and then got Player Manager 2 (Amiga) a few years later and couldn't get my head around just how much there was to do in running a football club - so much in fact that I almost quit it the day I got it just because I was so used to the "press fire and go" aspect of SWOS. But I got used to it and loved it to bits in the end.

Then I got Premier Manager 98 (Playstation), then Player Manager 2000 (PC). Player Manager 2000 was the first time I'd encountered players having personalities after I bought some Croatian player for Man United and he got homesick. I actually felt sorry for him (!) and gave him 3 weeks off!

After that, I came across CM 00/01 and that was it for me - been hooked ever since. :D

I go all the way back to the original Football Manager in the 1980's.

A couple of games I really enjoyed back onthe old Spectrum 48K were The Double and On The Bench.

On the PC I've tried out every football management game on the market over the past nine years but only FM holds my interest. The other games all have good points and bad points but none are consistently as good as FM. That's not to say FM is perect though because it isn't and there are areas that other games do much better i.e 4-4-2 has much better media interaction in terms of press conferences and postmatch interviews than FM.

I started with Premier Manager on the Amiga 600, was an awesome game. Just used to loads of strikers and play a 3-2-5 long ball game with Wycombe. Totally used to dominate.

First Championship Manager i had was 93/94 expansion pack on the amiga again, was so awful at it to be honest.

First windows version of CM i had was 98/99 i think had every SI release since then i think.

That was the first management game I ever played - I remember getting a few games in before school on a morning :D

I used to play with Wycombe for some reason (I live no-where near Wycombe) - did they start with most money in the lower tier if I remember correctly?

The first I ever played was Ultimate Soccer Manager 95/96 where you could only manage English teams but I still think it's a damn good game. The tactics and stats were few, but you could see the difference then when you played.

Next game was the F.A Premier League Manager 2000 to 2002. THese games were pretty bad when I think of it.

Then I played Total Club Manager 2003 which I liked back then, because I could take AIK Solna (Swedish team) to European glory in 3 seasons by just buying some Premier League players that for some reasons wanted to come to Sweden.

Then it was FIFA Manager 2006,2007. I never liked these games, especially not 2007, since the gameplay was very bad and in 2007 the whole game was very slow. Took about 5 minutes to save and proceed.

When I got sick of FIFA Manager 2007 I went to the store and bought Football Manager 2007, which is the best deal I've ever done. And now I play FM 2008

When I was very little, I played the original Football Manager on the BBC Micro. I remember it had a picture of a bearded Kevin Toms on the front! Transfers were weird. You'd randomly get offered a player (not by a club, just by the game) and you either accepted or rejected him!

I started on Premier Manager for the Sega megadrive. After that i tried tracksuit manager on the ps1 and an old tracksuit manager on the pc... Really old one at that.

From there i played CM and USM. Then USM died and Cm became FM, and here I am today.

USM is the only game that was on the same level as CM at the time. It was a great franchise. Far more gimmicky than CM, so less realistic, but still a great game.

Oddly I started back in about 2001 i think. I got a free CM 01/02 demo with some breakfast cereal since then I was hooked. I never knew about the split so I bought CM 5 expecting this truly amazing game, boy was I wrong it was by far the worst management game I've ever played but i carried on buying them. Being loyal to the name. Then i borrowed FM 06 from my mate and it felt so comfortable to play since then I knew that FM was for me.

Archived