Another idea for future FM games: getting new rivals as your game goes on

I have just had a quick thought about what has been going on in some of my games and what I have seen in others. My idea for future fm games is that we have new rivals come up under the information screen because of what our current team has done to the other team to make them rivals. Say, for example, I took a club in the BSP to the Premiership and won many titles but always beat Arsenal to those titles. Arsenal become your rivals because you are always fighting them for the title. Wouldn't it be a nice touch to the game to see them pop up as your fierce rival?

I know that a) that was not very well explained and b) it is just a minor thing, but I think that it would keep the current game up to date.

Yes, its a good idea, i also think that in real life, most teams in the relegation zone near the end of the season are likely to have a rivallry between each other, as they are competeing to stay in the league. So those rivalrys could be added into your suggestion aswell.

:thup: from me, I think that would add a lot to the game world. I know, in particular, I had one game in which major tournaments always seemed to come down to me against Chelsea, and Europe was always me against Barcelona .. Personally I felt a keen rivalry with those two clubs, and was always "up" for those games in a way I wasn't for any other .. I would have loved to see those added as rivalries, especially as my club's "natural" rivals were all down in the Championship and League One.

:thup: (I didn't realise we had a thumbs up smilie)

Definately be a great addition. I'm currently in a long term game where I seem to meet Arsenal in the FA Cup semi/final every year and it's always us two fighting it out for the title. I've also met them in the CL knockout stages 2 out of the last four times and once in the final. I think that is enough to grant a rivalry.

The only rival I get to play is Chesterfield as they are in the PL now, but in truth, it's an easy victory every time I play them.

But then it's necessary that clubs lose rivals, otherwise there will be too much rivalry

Thats a pretty good point too.

Totally in support of this idea, had a game with scunthorpe where i got them promoted to the premier league. With in a few years i was challenging for the title so saw, Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal and Spurs as my rivals but it was still the original teams who were in leagues below me.

On my game at Man Utd myself and David Moyes were always Speaking negatively about each other in the press and one time when i looked at my rival clubs on the information screen and Everton were there. They aren't there to begin with but then he left them and then they disappeared from the rival clubs. So its already implemented unless i just imagined it but i'm 100% positive i didn't. Must be very rare if no ones seen it.

I agree that this should be something added. When taking a club from the bottom to the very top it seems silly to just have rivals from the lower leagues, it would be nice to develop rivalries with local teams in the same league that you are playing in.

Another thumbs up from me. It seems only logical to have such a feature implemented as it's very awkward to have the same teams as your rivals from the start of the game and 20 years down the road. The game should consider factors such as promotions, relegation, qualifying games, etc. It would definitely be a welcomed addition to FM I would say.

But then it's necessary that clubs lose rivals, otherwise there will be too much rivalry

I am Olympiakos SFP fan ( and play them often) and almost all 1st division teams (including one in 2nd) are my rivals , not a problem since i dominate the league and it is natural others to be jealous of my success .

Ah i have also add an Olympiakos B team in 3rd (non active ) division and some times i play them in cup competition , the board is always happy when i beat them because they consider them a rival .....

How about some overseas rivals? I know this would be quite rare but constant meetings in European competitions could justify it.

How about new International rivalries too? Again i'd imagine this to be rare too, more so than club level.

I haven't seen this in the game so far, so yes, I support it as well.

As people said before, some rivals should 'disappear' at times, but I don't believe all rivals should disappear. For instance, 'Fierce rivals' should stay where they are, while 'Other rivals' shoulde be flexible. After all, some clubs simply can't stand each other, despite them never playing each other. It all boils down on how much history is behind them.

But so far I've never thought the 'Other rivals' had some real history behind them. Perhaps those should be the 'in-game rivals'?

• 2 weeks later...

I think that maybe there should be more focus on rival matches, more build up and having it involving more history of matches between the two teams. If a rival team hasn't won against another for a while, this should be said before a game or something similar. For example there was a lot of hype when Spurs beat Arsenal in the League Cup, and Spurs haven't won away against Arsenal for 15 years.

Gets a thumbs up from me. Perhaps a particularly spicy game with a couple of sendings off could spark a minor rivalry, which could end up being a full-blown hatred (isn't this what happened with Leeds and Tottenham?).

Excellent idea. A lot of lower league teams don't have rivals, so it'd be nice if they developed some rivalries, particularly with teams local to themselves. I think it'd also be good if rivalries maybe lost some strength over time, eg if the 2 teams didn't play each other for 10 years or something. Some rivalries should obviously remain strong no matter what though.

big fan of this, i like starting with small clubs who generally either don't have a rival, or have another small club as 'Other Rival' as time goes on you do develop a rivalry with clubs in your level (if anyone has seen my many posts on how much pain Charlton caused my Basingstoke Town side in FM07 you will understand my new found hatred for them!).

Big thumbs up, this would be good as a possible poll, just to help give SI the idea, as my thread evidently didn't work for FM08!

I remember the discussion in the old thread on this. I do agree, but I took the point that rivalries develop over years - decades even, and thus shouldn't appear until a good few years into a campaign.

I know from FMM that rivalries are scored from 1-100 and only those on 50+ appear on the club info screen. So the mechanism is already there to develop rivalries; it just needs calculating how fast it should change, rather like UEFA co-efficients.

Archived