Is there an age limit in the English Premier League?

Hi, I'm Neji... and I'm an FM-aholic.

Seriously though, I've been reading these forums for a while. You pick things up especially from the members who have been here even longer. Having said that, I still learn loads from other members.

Well you've been here since 2006 so that must be the reason why everytime im looking through the forums, your name always pops up to answer peoples questions. I'm still relativly new to the forums "compared to you" so i think i should take that as a piece of advice and learn from experienced member of the FM Forums :D

Well, I like to be of assistance and I always have this site open at the side of FM when I'm playing. When FM is processing, loading, saving etc I pop on here so I don't get bored :D

Good to see 'newer' (I wouldn't say you were that new though ;) ) users providing good posts, too :)

Its not exactly the time you've been on the forums, more your contribution toward it. Some people have been here 3 years and continually post...

"I don't know, sorry, perhaps someone else can help you". :)

Neji however, is one of a select few on GQ that really put effort in and contribute massively towards keeping the forum sane. As for picking up knowledge, that comes from members old and new :)

To the OP - 16 is the minumum age, but if you've a 14 year old that you would like to expose to first team football, you are permitted to play him in the F.A Cup. :thup:

Someone called him Neil recently. Was worth a chortle.

lol. But im guessing, Neji surely isn't his real name, well possible but i dont know where he's from. Maybe someone had inside info and his name is Neil...is he like the Stig do'ya reckon

lol. But im guessing, Neji surely isn't his real name, well possible but i dont know where he's from. Maybe someone had inside info and his name is Neil...is he like the Stig do'ya reckon

Even the Stig bows down to Neji.

I feel like I have my own followers, I just went to watch Arsenal v Ajax and come back to praise. I love it! :D

Yeah, I'll add a :thup: for Neji, too - sometimes I think you're trying to put me out of a job, mate! :D

I'm secretly plotting your downfall, I'm thinking of coming to FM Stories and topping your Blades story with a Wednesday one!

Sometimes I wonder if Neji does what I do - Act like you know the answer then breathe a sigh of relief when you turn out to be right!

How dare you! I always make a point of adding "I think" or "I believe" if I'm not 100% sure of something.

I could tell you my real name.. but it would probably blow all your minds! Hmmm.

I don't mind the Stig references though ;)

Does this age limit apply for Cups as well? Luke Freeman made his debut for Gillingham in the FA Cup at 15 years, 233 days, and he's now at Arsenal.
Its not exactly the time you've been on the forums, more your contribution toward it. Some people have been here 3 years and continually post...

"I don't know, sorry, perhaps someone else can help you". :)

Neji however, is one of a select few on GQ that really put effort in and contribute massively towards keeping the forum sane. As for picking up knowledge, that comes from members old and new :)

To the OP - 16 is the minumum age, but if you've a 14 year old that you would like to expose to first team football, you are permitted to play him in the F.A Cup. :thup:

Should clear things up there, mate.

The age limit for Premier League players is 16. I believe this is the case definitely for British players, but im not sure if the guidelines are exactly the same for foreign players. The best case of this was that Manchester United wanted to hand Darren Fletcher his debut when he was 16 but the guidelines stated that he had to finish mandatory school (to the age of 16) before you are allowed to play in the Premier League.

The age limit for Premier League players is 16. I believe this is the case definitely for British players, but im not sure if the guidelines are exactly the same for foreign players.

It does because it's not Premier League rules, but Child Labour Laws that put an age maximum of 16. After all, Footballer is a job. And the laws in the U.K. prohibit working full time until age 16, regardless of nationality. They're laws to prevent the abuse of children and ensure a safe working environment for those that have to work. Dispensation can be given for younger players, in essence a local council work permit, signed off by the parents/guardian of the player. Which is more likely to be given for a part time job which a cup run out could be considered as. One would be highly unlikely to be given to a player for them to feature in the first time full time, as they have to complete their schooling.

They might get dispensation for a one off game, which I think has happened in lower leagues than the Premiership, but not for the full season. That would be a full time job.

The Premier League probably wouldn't allow it either, and it's likely to be written into their rules as well as being a part of the national law.

• 1 year later...

I've played a 14 year old in the premiership as well, I know outside the premiership 15 year olds have played before. If it isn't allowed for players under 16 to play in the premiership then it hasn't been implemented, they do appear as inelligible for the champions league under 16 though.

I've played a 14 year old in the premiership as well, I know outside the premiership 15 year olds have played before. If it isn't allowed for players under 16 to play in the premiership then it hasn't been implemented, they do appear as inelligible for the champions league under 16 though.

Yeh I've played 14 year old players before.

Sorry to drag up a year old thread but has this changed or are there exceptions in the game?

I think it may have changed as I also played a 15 year-old recently. I'm pretty certain that in previous games, I could only play 16s and over. I'd look at it but I'm in the middle of decorating and have no idea where 07 and 08 are :(

Archived