Will a Buy-back clause be introduced in FM2009 ??

I used it recently to great effect. I had a young English centre back at Sunderland who was very promising. I was doing well and didn't need the money when Arsenal came knocking. The player was determined that he wanted to play for Arsenal so I had to sell him. In the end I sold him for £4m but stuck a buy back clause in of £6m as I knew he had potential. The sneaky bit was that I also put a 30% sell on clause in there as well.

A year later I'd done a lot better than Arsenal and really wanted him back. So i bid the £6m (which they had to accept) and he came to me. Because of the sell on clause I also got £1.8m of my £6m back! As he'd improved at Arsenal it ended up like me paying £0.2m for Arsenal to train him for me for a year.

I've used it a couple of times on youngsters who I wasn't sure about. It meant that another club had to worry about training him, and if he turned out decent, I could just nick him back :D

I used it recently to great effect. I had a young English centre back at Sunderland who was very promising. I was doing well and didn't need the money when Arsenal came knocking. The player was determined that he wanted to play for Arsenal so I had to sell him. In the end I sold him for £4m but stuck a buy back clause in of £6m as I knew he had potential. The sneaky bit was that I also put a 30% sell on clause in there as well.

A year later I'd done a lot better than Arsenal and really wanted him back. So i bid the £6m (which they had to accept) and he came to me. Because of the sell on clause I also got £1.8m of my £6m back! As he'd improved at Arsenal it ended up like me paying £0.2m for Arsenal to train him for me for a year.

Haha yeah I used the sell-on clause trick with Van Persie once. I sold him to Inter for 40 million with a sell-on clause of 40%. 2 years later I bought him back for 35 million of which I got 40% back. I actually made a profit by selling him and buying him back. Mind you that calculation does not include his wage, but it was a very good deal. I had no buy-back clause and never really planned to buy him back until a scout reported that Inter would only ask 35 million.

Its already in FM08 - and was also in FM07 and FM06. (IIRC)

I do love the loophole with it though. the one that Chopper99 so cleverly exploited. :)

You buy a player. Set a buy back price no more than 50% higher than the original transfer, and demand 50% of next fee. Job done. You can make a profit just buy buying the player back. :D

Its already there in the game. On AFC Wimbledon game i had really promising striker on my books in season 2022...but he kept rejecting loan offers...So i sold him to cardiff city in championship for 6.5M UKP with buy-back clause of 7M GBP. He was top-scorer in champioship...single-handedly brought cardiff to EPL when predicted to be finish 10th.

Brought him back the next season and he scored 17 goals in 23games and only 4 starts...Was mightly pleased with my deal.

Its already in FM08 - and was also in FM07 and FM06. (IIRC)

I do love the loophole with it though. the one that Chopper99 so cleverly exploited. :)

You buy a player. Set a buy back price no more than 50% higher than the original transfer, and demand 50% of next fee. Job done. You can make a profit just buy buying the player back. :D

It doesn't work that well in FM08 - the min. you can by a player back for is the price you sold him + % next sale you have - you can still make a profit - sell for £5m with 50%, buy back min. price would be £7.5m - so you'd make £1.25m. Past versions you'd be able to buy him back for £5m, so you'd get £2.5m profit. (this all assumes the player wants to come back on the same wage, and you didn't spent any money on a replacement.)

The loophole is in buyback clauses combined with bonuses for international appearances. Find a player who's in his national team but with under 20 caps, sell him for say $5m + $40m after 1 international appearance + $5m buyback, wait till you collect the 40m, then buy him back. Repeat if there are more takers.

The difficult part is finding a suitable buyer. Frequently clubs who go for the deal don't have enough money to complete it.

I was wondering if people knew that it's possible to set a buy-back price lower than you sell him for, but only if the guaranteed (ie excluding possible extra fees) price is over £40m I think. For instance, you ask for £39.5m up front for a player, minimum buyback price is £39.5m. Ask for £40.5m up front, minimum buyback price is £0. Of course, it's unlikely they'll accept, but it can be useful in certain circumstances. It also works if you ask for players in exchange and the combined value is over £40m, so it can be useful.

As an example, you're Barcelona. Man Utd want Messi, you ask for Tevez, Evra, Carrick and Pique say. If their combined value is over £40m, you can put a £1m (or whatever you think is appropriate) buyback clause in.

On a different note, I recently sold Bendtner to Real for £1m up front, £40m after 10m league goals, and £5m buyback :)

EDIT: I'm guessing this is the loophole mentioned above, apologies for the repetition.

Archived