Hi Lads,

There's a lot of debate to who is a big club a what makes a big club. I would like to know what you think about this. Heres a few teams to discuss and if you think they're a 'big club'.

Coventry City

Leicster City

Hull City

Reading

Chelsea

Nottm Forest

Derby County

Portsmouth

I think a big club has to have a long illustrious history (with plenty of trophies and the like (in the case of Leeds controversy is a plus :D)) and they have to prove themselves at the top and among the elite.

I really don't think any in that list are defined as a 'big club'. Chelsea are only rubbing their shoulders with the top teams because, lets face it, Abromavich has bankrolled them.

Agree with LSD i would say Portsmouth were just as big as Chelsea as like LSD said theyve bought there way to the top were as Portsmouth have spent a bit they have also battled there way into the top teams in england, i would say Reading would be in the next tier of footballing standard with the like of Newcastle, Wigan teams that finish 9th and below

I agree with LSDs statement but that disproves his theory that none of them are 'big clubs'. I would definatley class Nottm Forest as having a 'long illustrious history' and they won the European Cup and European Super Cup. They also had one of the best managers of all time, Brian Clough (despite his time at Leeds being a disaster).

Yeah guess so, but how many other trophies have they won in their history? If you said Notthingham Forest to a football fan in say... America, would they know who they are?

yeah im pretty sure people in america will have heard of us becuase of our back to back european wins. But we probably will not have that many fans out there because they will all be man u, chelsea, liverpool and arsenal fans because of them 4 teams are more likely to get more tv time than us. and tbh im not too fussed if we have fans in america because they dont even know what football is, sorry "Soccer".

Again, this is just a random comment.

Your pointing out the obvious and, West Brom are not a big club because they sign Scott Carson and Zuiverloon, there not going to achieve anything and they haven't got any real history.

To me the only big clubs are Arsenal, Liverpool and Man Utd followed by the likes of Leeds, Notts Forest even Villa. These clubs have at least a bit of history if not loads. Maybe put a bit of thought into your posts?

:thup:

liverpool are gonna wreck havoc on the prem with gerrard keane and torres lol can anyone describe a more powerfull force that goes striker, striker and attacking mid? nope cos there isnt any better than liverpools finest 3 lol part from manu and maybe chelsea lol

liverpool are gonna wreck havoc on the prem with gerrard keane and torres lol can anyone describe a more powerfull force that goes striker, striker and attacking mid? nope cos there isnt any better than liverpools finest 3 lol part from manu and maybe chelsea lol

ROFL. Seriously? That's hilarious! Liverpool are fighting for 4th again. They know it, we know it, everyone knows it. The thing is, this season more clubs will be breathing down Liverpool's neck in my opinion.

I agree Torres is quality. Gerrard is way overrated and I'd MUCH rather have any of Essien, Lampard, Ballack & Deco. Oh wait…we have all 4! :) So what happens when Gerrard gets injured? Woops! As for Keane, I don't think he's much better than Kuyt and he often wasn't good enough to get in the Tottenham side so I can't figure out why so much money was spent on him! You'd rather have Keane, Torres, Gerrard than Rooney, Tevez/Berbatov, Ronaldo? :) Seriously? I think I'd even prefer Adebayor, Eduardo, Fabregas to the Liverpool 3! Chelsea only have one good forward but if we did get Robinho and have him with Drogba & Cole in a front 3…THEN it's watch out premier league!

2 things amazed me about last season:

1) That Chelsea finished so close to United even though United had hardly any injury problems, no players away at the African Cup of Nations AND one of the best seasons by any player ever compared to Chelsea who had horendous injury problems, many players away at the African Cup of Nations, a change of coach (to a coach who was clueless!) and many terrible performances.

2) That Arsenal were so much better than Liverpool all season despite having Eduardo (who was playing VERY well) out for most of it along with some other injuries and a very young side. I don't really remember any important Liverpool players being injured for long last season. Liverpool just expect to do well because they're Liverpool but unfortunately you can't win the premier league on penalties! If I was a Liverpool fan I'd be looking behind me at who Tottenham are signing, not worrying about a premier league everyone knows will go to one of the big 2.

youve just contradicted yourself by saying nobody has got a better strike force than liverpool apart form man.utd and chelsea! so there is a better 3 than keane, torres and gerrard!

thought you would have said him first because of the price.

Id say chelsea are a big club but id be very interested to see where they would be today with out Abramovich backing them and if ken bates had been there as lets face it theyve bought success!

and i know others are going to say weve bought it but we havent weve had a number of youngsters come through and have also made some very cheap signings that have turned out to be priceless eg schmeichel/ cantona/ solsjkaer

Archived