Appearance Fees

A major bug on this FM is the way players would rather have an appearance fee (not guaranteed money) over a higher salary (guaranteed).

I'm trying to sign a player in the January transfer window first season who is demanding £38,500 a week, £1,000,000 signing on fee and £19k a week appearance fee.

My board limited me to £12k approx. for appearance fees on Key Player status. That rose to £15k on Squad Rotation, but I couldn't offer a hige enough wage there.

After having a couple of contract offers turned down I offered him £50,000 a week, £2m signing on fee as well as the maximum £12k appearance fee. I calculated that contract offer as being roughly £1.3m more lucrative than what he was demanding (And that's only the first year of the contract), if he played 45 matches in the next year. After the first year there was a small yearly wage rise as well. He turned it down flat and cancelled negotiations.

So basically he'd rather have £50,000 that he might get, rather than £100,000 which he is guaranteed to get. No one in his position would turn down a contract offer far more lucrative than what they asked for. If he got a serious injury or got dropped from the team he'd be even worse off if he got exactly what he demanded.

This is a major problem (not the only one) in contract/transfer negotiations and I hope FM2009 produces the major revamp I think a lot of people want in this area.

Did he actually state that the appearance fee was the reason he rejected the contract? Sometimes players reject contracts even when you offer them exactly what they ask for so unless he actually said it was because of the appearance fee it may not have been.

I've noticed that some players enter a negotiation with contract status as backup. In this case, it makes sense that the base salary is low, but the appearance fee is high. However, if the manager changes his contract to rotation or first team, then the player should be asking for different type of contract. High base, low appearance fee. Hope this will be sorted out in FM09.

Also irritating is when you make an offer for a player who is a bckup at his club, their manager accepts it and then during your contract negotiations the player is taken out of the reserves at his current club and given a higher squad status!

Related to appearance fees, I have a simple question that would help me in creating contract offers. Do appearance fees (and goal fees) get paid for ONLY for first team play? Reserves/youth, too? League games and/or friendlies?

Just competitive I beleive.

Did he actually state that the appearance fee was the reason he rejected the contract? Sometimes players reject contracts even when you offer them exactly what they ask for so unless he actually said it was because of the appearance fee it may not have been.

He'd turned down 2 or 3 previous offers stating the appearance fee as the reason, and I'm guessing this is the same. He's also slightly unhappy at his present club which he believes is underperforming.

• 9 months later...
He'd turned down 2 or 3 previous offers stating the appearance fee as the reason, and I'm guessing this is the same. He's also slightly unhappy at his present club which he believes is underperforming.

Hi all,

Just wanted to share my findings with Liverpool - in case you find it helpful

So

All players (Except N'Gog - probably cause he is from the youth), gets an appearance fee which is 10% of their base weekly wage

GK gets 3 x their app fee as a Clean Sheet bonus (good thing reina lets in a few now and then)

Defenders "only" gets the 10% app fee

Midfielders (DM and MC/MR/ML) gets 1/4 of their app fee as a goal bonus

Attacking midfielders (AMC/L/R gets 1/2 their app fee as a goal bonus

(as this is based on the position they are listed to play - not the one you pick for them - maybe this explains why some of them find it "hard" to learn to play normal MC/DM instead of AM

Strikers gets 100% of their app fee as goal bonus, so keep those calculators handy, when torres starts banging them in

hehe maybe this is why Benites, sometimes - doesn't jump up and down with joy when babel bangs in a goal from the wing as he knows he will have to pay him goal bonus as a striker....damn there goes another xk....hehe

I wonder if this is the same for all the teams or if the "formula" differs

Also as asked before - I wonder if this is what a new player bases his demands on and if you then change that either pay him "less" than everyone else in the squad or more than everyone else - what sort of problems this creates ? hehe

But for those few (weeeman excepted as he scored the jackpot

who are having problems with liverpool - try to add it up for a game...it is quite staggering amounts - say you beat hull 7-0 ,.....maybe get on a newbie defender so you will conscede a goal....

Actually just got an answer to one of my own raised questions in prev post....

As was negotiating new player contract with Player x and Player Y, they follow the exact same formula, so

Player X asked for 34k per week + 3400 app fee (10%) and + 3400 Goal bonus (100% app fee - as he is striker)

Player Y asked for 57,5k per week + 5750 app fee (10%) and + 2800Goal Bonus (50% app fee - as he is AML)

So I suppose it is ok, to lower the bonus fee if you can lower their basic wage, as long as you keep the formula the same - so they don't feel treated "worse" than everyone else....poor poor pro footballers....hehe

Anyway would like to hear if all teams use the same type of formula, cause in that case it should be easy to predict what they should get in comparison to the rest of the squad and if they ask for higher percentage than other (same position - what they can play not what you use them at) players ask for - then surely this is the same as the player demanding to be transfer listed/refusing contract ?

To the OP, your wasting money giving signing fee. In all my transfers I have never gave a signing fee to a player, these range from huge players to youth that just want money. I dont think it has any real baring.

Archived