transfers not simulating the reality

1.The first problem is the high transfer fee paid for players. There are too many players transfered for unreal fees - over 20-30 mil payed for mediocre players.

2. The second problem is the fact that teams from lower championships sells too many key players in one transfer window without buying any other of their level. Their team potential decreases from year to year despite increases ... Even teams playing in champions league, earning some good amount of money or their level, are not buying much good players than they have as it happens in real life.

This bug is strange because my team, playing in the same league, increases his potential from year to year and now i win the title without much problems. Despite my championship moves forward in the European Rankings, the rest of the teams in my championship are weaker from season to season.

As an example: I play at Steaua in Romanian First League for 3 and a half years. I tried to do the best to advance with this club, buying every year best players i needed and i could afford. My rivals sold their best players in 2 consecutive transfer windows and buying half good players for very high transfer fees:

Dinamo sold in the first two transfer windows players for over 25 mil euro and their bought around 10 mil euro - their best bought players was two of my under 19 players which I thought will be good backup in the following years: Dorian Andronic (central defender - 18 years old) and Calin Cristea (WB left - 20 years old) for 4 mil euro and 50% of their future transfer each other; they even bought as "Important first team player" players i was trying desperate to sell. The other rivals did aprox. the same thing and I think IT'S NOT NORMAL.

This are two problems that i hope you to solve in FM 2009 so the game will be more realistic.

I have three additional problems with the transfer market (apart from the fact that it's waaaay over-inflated in the higher echlons):

1) I get annoyed with the number of clubs who buy a player (sometimes spending serious money on transfer fee and wages) only to stick him on the bench. The manager hasn't changed either. It's a bit unrealistic. For example, Nani went from Man United to Valencia for £28m on my game. He started about 11 games in two seasons (hardly any injuries). The reason he moved to Valencia in the first place? He wanted first team football. After two seasons (and this leads nicely on to my second point), he rejoined Man United for £24m. And, yes you guessed it, he stayed on the bench.

2) I also get annoyed with the number of players re-signing for their clubs. Three examples that spring to mind: Shaun Wright-Phillips's career in my FM game goes: Chelsea - Man City - Portsmouth - Man City - West Ham - Man City. He KEEPS resigning for Man City. Another City player is Michael Johnson, who re-signed for City three or four times. As well as the Nani example I just outlined, there are others. It's a little unrealistic. It happens, sure, but not to this degree.

3) Old players looking for one last hoorah (in my career game this has been the likes of Puyol, Henry, Kaka, Rio Ferdinand, etc), often sign for lower league clubs (some I've barely heard of), on extortionate wages for that level, only to never play a game, presumably because they are 35+. I have two problems with this: 1) I'd like to see a few more players retiring at the top, without having to go through two seasons of not being picked at all, or having to go down the football league - it happenss, but not quite as much as in the game. 2) I find it hard to imagine that a League Two club would spend £3000 a week on a player who used to be an established international, and then not play him.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a go, these are just my recent observations.

GillsMan: I think point 2 is easily explained by the fact that AI managers know who has players with 'favored clubs: theirs' so they know they can sign them easily. (Eg I think Dave Nugent has Everton listen and i've noticed in my experience they sign him often) - I also agree it's wrong that they keep going back and it needs to be fixed though!

The transfer system needs to be redone . Negotiations are unrealistic, signings (as mentioned above) are often realistic, and it can often spoil a game. Hopefully this a priority for 09.

i think its down to league standerds. players will go play in leagues with higher standers. i tend to use an editor and increase standerds of football in other nations. this way. players will be more inclined to play there football at other clubs instead of beeing sold every 2 minutes

Let me tell you a true story about a certain player called Kenneth Perez. He played for AZ for years and years. Then he went to Ajax in the summer of 2006. Because he didn't get enough first team football (for his liking anyway), he moved to PSV after a year, so in the summer of 2007. In the winter of 2007, he went back to Ajax. And now, half a year later, Ajax has put him on the transfer list again because he's not in their first team plans.

What do you mean, FM's transfer market is unrealistic?

The transfer market needs a massive overhaul. Prices are way over inflated, negotiations are getting better but still a long way off what they should be and selling players is too difficult.

The transfer market needs a massive overhaul. Prices are way over inflated, negotiations are getting better but still a long way off what they should be and selling players is too difficult.

That is somewhat true. Trying to get rid of players can be a real pain.

1.The first problem is the high transfer fee paid for players. There are too many players transfered for unreal fees - over 20-30 mil payed for mediocre players.

Completely agree with this point, although it's ridiculously high fee's for all players, not just mediocre one's.

In real life, Ronaldinho has just gone to Milan for a fee of €21million, (which is about £18million), this would never happen on FM. On FM you'd be lucky to get him for £40million, and this needs to be looked at as transfer fee's need to be more realistic.

I also want SI to review the point 2 of my post. After 3 years of playing the strength of my club is more than twice than the second's best club in my championship. Sometimes it is annoying: I often offer to other clubs players i don't need and i am surprised when some of them gets interested. Even when I offer players as good or much good than some of the key players of the other teams in my championship nobody gets interested - why? In very very much cases i get the following response: " The club cannot afford the player wages " and thats because other clubs don't progress due to the poor transfers the AI managers do.

Simulating an accurate transfer market is exceptionally difficult. FMs is way better than most I have come across.

You also have to bear in mind the game goes decades into the future so any comments as to what is "realistic" are largely meaningless anyway since nonoe of us know what will happen in 20 years time. Maybe there'll no longer even be transfer fees by then and everyone will move around on free transfers...who knows. Of all the issues in the game I really couldn't care less about inflated transfer fees - you sell players for more, you buy players for more, it's just like the housing market - if you are selling and buying you are doing so in the same market so the absolute price is not all that relevant, only relative prices. Obviously if you are looking to buy players without selling any then it is an issue, but I can think of far bigger ones. The transfer market has never unduly affected my enjoyment of playing the game, unlike things like team talks and all the various things that affect the team you actually have and put out on the pitch.

In truth, if you transfer-list any good player in the top tier, there will be a flood of enquiries for that player. Unfortunately, not in this game, which kind of makes it hard. Pato, 1 month left on his contract, has only me competing for his signature as he doesn't want to stay at Milan.

I really couldn't care less about inflated transfer fees - you sell players for more, you buy players for more, it's just like the housing market - if you are selling and buying you are doing so in the same market

The problem is, we're not in the same market. If both teams had one player each, both EXACTLY the same, the AI would expect you to buy at one figure, but expect you to sell at a much smaller one.

Also, If I just come up into the Premier League I'm not going to get a great deal for my players and I would need to strenghten. Extremely difficult with over priced players everywhere.

It doesn't spoil your enjoyment, but to me, it really makes the game much worse than it should be. I actually went back to FM07 becuse of this and the confidence. (And FM07 wasn't much better either:) )

In 2009/10 season (my current game) I've seen over a dozen players go for more than £30 million, this is stupid. I have also seen a few £50 million sales (including frickin Carlos Vela). The problem appears to be that too many clubs (example) sell 5 players and buy 2 for ~£70 million, in the long term I haven't seen any top side maintain its quality because they all ***** their money on average (for a top club) players.

To summise; the way the market works now makes the game too easy for the player....there I said it.

One thing I was impressed by with FM 2008 was selling players became easy if you were a successful team, whereas this was never my experience in prior FM's (maybe I'm just lucky with this edition).

The problem is, we're not in the same market. If both teams had one player each, both EXACTLY the same, the AI would expect you to buy at one figure, but expect you to sell at a much smaller one.

Also, If I just come up into the Premier League I'm not going to get a great deal for my players and I would need to strenghten. Extremely difficult with over priced players everywhere.

It doesn't spoil your enjoyment, but to me, it really makes the game much worse than it should be. I actually went back to FM07 becuse of this and the confidence. (And FM07 wasn't much better either:) )

On your just promoted point (to the prem), unless your rep is just turning national (which is nigh on impossible) getting players is no problem at all, unless the board are absolute scrouges you will get at least £20 million your first season (which was untill recently unrealistic but now seems to be the norm in real life too).

I also expect the AI to buy at one figure and sell at another. It's natural that you try to get people to pay more for your players than you pay for theirs. As a manager I always try to inflate the prices of my players as much as possible when selling - who doesn't?

If you've just come up into the Premier League and are looking to sign big name players whose clubs don't want to sell them then obviously you will run into issues, just like in real life - I don't see Stoke City joining the queue to try and sign Berbatov. Speaking of which, hands up who thinks £5.5 million (or whatever it was) is not a vastly inflated pice for Dave Kitson? That's the reality of trying to compete in the Premiership. I'm not saying the transfer system is perfect - far from it, but it mirrors the real life transfer system decently in many respects.

I also expect the AI to buy at one figure and sell at another. It's natural that you try to get people to pay more for your players than you pay for theirs. As a manager I always try to inflate the prices of my players as much as possible when selling - who doesn't?

I get where you are coming from but when someone like above offers 140m for Eduardo, you'd expect it to be accepted.

If you've just come up into the Premier League and are looking to sign big name players whose clubs don't want to sell them then obviously you will run into issues, just like in real life - I don't see Stoke City joining the queue to try and sign Berbatov. Speaking of which, hands up who thinks £5.5 million (or whatever it was) is not a vastly inflated pice for Dave Kitson? That's the reality of trying to compete in the Premiership. I'm not saying the transfer system is perfect - far from it, but it mirrors the real life transfer system decently in many respects.

I never mentioned going for big names, though.

you will get at least £20 million your first season

Upon taking four teams to the Premier League, I have never got anywhere near 20m. I have got around 8-9m each time.

I get where you are coming from but when someone like above offers 140m for Eduardo, you'd expect it to be accepted.

I'd expect the board to intercept a bid of 140m for Eduardo, but if they don't then it's fair enough it is rejected if the manager wants to keep him. I often reject huge buds (although not that big) for my players because the player is doing well for me, the team gels well with him and I don't want to have to replace him and lose all that when I don't need the money. I sold my star striker at Werder Bremen and am still paying for it now in terms of performances on the pitch (and the fact that in the end I spent exactly the same vast transfer fee I received on buying a donkey to replace him!).

As for big names, everything is relative. Dave Kitson isn't a big name either except in his own living room.

Upon taking four teams to the Premier League, I have never got anywhere near 20m. I have got around 8-9m each time.

Try it with Leeds mate - they make a 10-15 mill profit every season. By the time I got to the prem, they had something like 40 mill in the bank ;)

I hate the way the AI negotiate for your players - eg you ask for £20 million up front, and they come back with £3 million and £17 million over 24 months. Other people may not see this as a big idea but i would much prefer the money upfront

Another problem with the transfer market is that it relies completely on the reputation. This is not realistic. Sure a player would rather play in an okayish league than a mediocre one, but there are other far more important factors to consider. The most important is of course money. If a player gets 10 times as much to play in slighly worse club he would gladly take the job. In FM this doesnt happen. I had players reject wages that were 100x higher than their current wage only to retire in a few months. Is it really better to live on 5 dollars a day in some god forsaken country or to play for ridiculous amounts of money in some average european club? According to FM the answer is yes.

Another thing to consider is the squad status. Sure, some players dont care if the sit on the bench all the time, but most are prepared to go to less reputable club just so they can play. Especially if they get paid the same. In FM their reputation is affected by the clubs reputation and they dont want to play in a club that would actually have a use for him.

In RL older players a lot of times return to their old club or country, in FM this doesnt happen. Or at least i havent noticed it.

Enough ranting for now..have to go out for a cup of coffee.

I hate the way the AI negotiate for your players - eg you ask for £20 million up front, and they come back with £3 million and £17 million over 24 months. Other people may not see this as a big idea but i would much prefer the money upfront

I hate not having the money upfront, or rather, I used to. I got used to it now. To be fair though, this is pretty much how real life transfers happen nowadays.

I hate not having the money upfront, or rather, I used to. I got used to it now. To be fair though, this is pretty much how real life transfers happen nowadays.

True, but nowadays the majority of the money is up front not in installments, if I'm right. It's not that big a deal, but it's just annoys me a bit how we have to pay so much upfront, but the AI bid in £875,000 with £12 million over 24 months

That is somewhat true. Trying to get rid of players can be a real pain.

Although I think that, in some cases, this is actually true to IRL. Two recent examples strike me:

West Ham tried to sell Freddie Ljungberg. He's a decent players, his attributes are probably still decent (he's just a lazy barsteward for West Ham). In FM his transfer value would probably be around £1.2m. At least. Now, it's not been a secret that they've been trying to get rid of him, and in the end they couldnt give him away and had to cancel his contract at a cost of £6m!!

Down in the lower leagues, Gillingham have had massive problems getting rid of some of our players. Take Delroy Facey, he's 28, a striker, many people have at least heard of him, and we’ve been trying to get rid of him for ages, and it’s clear we’d have taken a free transfer. Today, we’ve finally agreed a deal with him to eff off and take his measly three goals he scored for us with him. In other words, again, we’ve had to release him on a free contract.

Now, as per my first post (the second in this thread), I do have problems with the transfer market, but I’m not overly convinced that it’s that unrealistically difficult getting rid of players. Can I get rid of my crap players for money? No, of course not. But the decent ones can be sold without too many problems.

I actually have trouble selling decent ones too.

I have Bentner in my squad but he is surplus to requirements now. He's played 127 games for me, scoring 84 goals. Thats a great record. He's now 29 and I can't sell him for anything, plus his contract is up at the end of the season and no one has come in for him.

Although I think that, in some cases, this is actually true to IRL. Two recent examples strike me:

West Ham tried to sell Freddie Ljungberg. He's a decent players, his attributes are probably still decent (he's just a lazy barsteward for West Ham). In FM his transfer value would probably be around £1.2m. At least. Now, it's not been a secret that they've been trying to get rid of him, and in the end they couldnt give him away and had to cancel his contract at a cost of £6m!!

Down in the lower leagues, Gillingham have had massive problems getting rid of some of our players. Take Delroy Facey, he's 28, a striker, many people have at least heard of him, and we’ve been trying to get rid of him for ages, and it’s clear we’d have taken a free transfer. Today, we’ve finally agreed a deal with him to eff off and take his measly three goals he scored for us with him. In other words, again, we’ve had to release him on a free contract.

Now, as per my first post (the second in this thread), I do have problems with the transfer market, but I’m not overly convinced that it’s that unrealistically difficult getting rid of players. Can I get rid of my crap players for money? No, of course not. But the decent ones can be sold without too many problems.

I completely agree with you about that, I never said I found it unrealistic I was only stating that it is a pain to get rid of players. My team is a VERY good example of that IRL(Feyenoord). They have been trying to get rid of Saidi for ages (about 3 years now), but there is not a single club that wants him. And they really have to sell him because 1 he's crap and 2 he gets a big wage because we have a rule in Holland that players from outside the EU (he's Egyptian) have a minimum wage. I can't remember how much it exactly is though, about €400.000 a year. That might not seem much, but it is a big amount for a player that's not even in the reserves team.

Biggest problem on the game is the transfer market along with regens not being up to scratch if these two things are fixed in 09 then we have a very very good game on our hands

I completely agree on regens - they are one of the key aspects for me as I always want to be able to create a team from my own youth setup, but if the transfer market were the biggest problem in the game I'd be absolutely delighted that something so relatively trivial was all that was wrong. As it is I'm far more concerned about things in the match engine that actually affect gameplay. In real life teams either pay what is required for a player or they have to look elsewhere, in FM I do exactly the same.

think about it the other way..

liverpool atm are getting rid of alot of thier unwanted players without much fuss.. and the players who they havent sold off have had interest but the other clubs havent matched liverpool asking price..

in real life it happens both ways. sometimes you can sell players easily and then sometimes people just dont want the player but in this game its pretty much no one wants him / the player rejects the club since it wont meet is wage demands.

ALso negotiating deals in the game is terrible at the moment....

pretty much what happens for any hhalf decent youngster if the following.

Player: makes a bid for tom smith for 250k

Comp: negotioates the deal to 300k +40% SOC

Player: doesnt want all that 40% so changes it to 350k +15%

Comp: Hmm lets see... lets take that cash offer and make it to 40% again. so 350k + 40%

Player: omg................................ one more shot 450k +10%

Comp: lol 450K + 40%

etc. Normally it ends when the board accepts the offer. its sometimes not that bad but its still annoying when it happens

liverpool atm are getting rid of alot of thier unwanted players without much fuss.. and the players who they havent sold off have had interest but the other clubs havent matched liverpool asking price..

in real life it happens both ways. sometimes you can sell players easily and then sometimes people just dont want the player but in this game its pretty much no one wants him / the player rejects the club since it wont meet is wage demands.

Comp: Hmm lets see... lets take that cash offer and make it to 40% again. so 350k + 40%

etc. Normally it ends when the board accepts the offer. its sometimes not that bad but its still annoying when it happens

Yeah this is the most irritating thing ever - also happens when you try to spread out payments;

I was trying to sign daniel carvalho, they set an asking price of £5.5m.

So, i thought, due to dodgy bank balance, i'd offer them £5.5m over 24 months.

Their response - £5.5m + £3m over 24 months - when their asking price was £5.5m.

I despair.

The negotiations are the most heavily flawed aspect of transfers, let's hope they get fixed.

Yeah this is the most irritating thing ever - also happens when you try to spread out payments;

I was trying to sign daniel carvalho, they set an asking price of £5.5m.

So, i thought, due to dodgy bank balance, i'd offer them £5.5m over 24 months.

Their response - £5.5m + £3m over 24 months - when their asking price was £5.5m.

I despair.

The negotiations are the most heavily flawed aspect of transfers, let's hope they get fixed.

i think this happens more aswell if you are one of the richer clubs in the game as a way of thinning out your money a bit. When the ai knows you dont have as much money they are more willing to just let you take the 5,5mil

Even with budget adjustment? I always get about 60K more a week in wages I need which translates to about 10 million in trasnfers.

Alright, I agree that that bit needs fixing for sure.

In FM, the human player is treated differently than the AI.

2 examples

you put in a bid for £5m for a player and its rejected, a day later hes gone to a lower league club for £1m

Theres a 5m player you have, the ai will only pay 5m 90% of the time, even if they put 10 bid in 10 days, its always the same bid.

If the ai has the same 5m player, they expect you to pay 20m for him.

Transfers need a lot of work, especially the 1st point.

I completely agree with you about that, I never said I found it unrealistic I was only stating that it is a pain to get rid of players. My team is a VERY good example of that IRL(Feyenoord). They have been trying to get rid of Saidi for ages (about 3 years now), but there is not a single club that wants him.

I think these realities are inverted in FM. IRL there are a handful of examples where no one will come for a player even for free but I find in FM that you are unlikely to be able to sell anyone but your top 3 or 4 players. It might be different if you play as only the top clubs and have many world class players but IRL lesser players get sold from mediocre teams all the time. It makes it almost impossible to raise funds or lower the wage bill.

Also, why do you have to transfer list players publicly in order to try and sell them. What if you want to test the market quietly but don't want to upset the player in question if (when) no one is interested?

I think for the ridiculous transfer fees to be fixed the financial model also needs to be adjusted. At any club but especially big ones it is to easy to make money. Now I know clubs in real life have big turnovers but if you reduce transfer fees without changing the financial model it will become far to easy to buy essentially anyone you want

I think these realities are inverted in FM. IRL there are a handful of examples where no one will come for a player even for free but I find in FM that you are unlikely to be able to sell anyone but your top 3 or 4 players. It might be different if you play as only the top clubs and have many world class players but IRL lesser players get sold from mediocre teams all the time. It makes it almost impossible to raise funds or lower the wage bill.

Also, why do you have to transfer list players publicly in order to try and sell them. What if you want to test the market quietly but don't want to upset the player in question if (when) no one is interested?

Stupid question maybe, but isn't that illegal IRL? To discretely offer players to clubs behind their backs? Either way, it's not a very humane manner to get rid of a player, but I guess that's football.

Anyhow, I just lost my faith in the transfer market this morning when Pompey bought James Milner for 30 million pounds in pre-season of 07/08. Ridiculous.

If you want to get rid of your player, but they don't want rid of theirs, why wouldn't they want more than they would be willing to get you?

If i see a player isn't wanted anymore, i put in a cheeky bid. Offer me the same for a similar player in my squad and i'll laugh in your face. Unless, of course, he's out of favour.

Compare two identical players, both out of favour and transfer listed perhaps?

And the amount they want you to pay for their player, that's about what you want them to give for yours right? And the amount you want to pay for theirs is about what they offer? What's odd there. If they don't offer what you want, don't sell. If they won't sell for what you want to pay, don't buy. That's economics in action.

If you want to get rid of your player, but they don't want rid of theirs, why wouldn't they want more than they would be willing to get you?

That makes sense but I didn't say I wanted to get rid of mine :)

SI, any words on this issue? I must admit that the transfer feature is one of the parts I like at most, but unfortunately it still has some problems in the implementation, which is for sure very complicated too. Please SI, at least concentrating on the part where the counter offer is even higher than the proposed offer which asks for some reduction :(

I'd like to add unrealistic domestic transfers to the list of things wrong with the system. In my current game I've finally made it to the prem in 2014/2015 and to find myself playing against an Arsenal team that has both Cristiano Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney in it is quite infuriating and spoils the whole experience for me.

Even with budget adjustment? I always get about 60K more a week in wages I need which translates to about 10 million in trasnfers.

Just an anecdote. I am playing as Arsenal and it's ridiculously easy to make money (I'm being paid £250K a week and my transfer budget is £150M). You have a £60K/week wage surplus? Mine is £3.1M. PER WEEK. I'm just going to go and check how big my transfer budget could be...

Hmm. Strangely, I'm only allowed to increase my transfer budget by £725K despite my enormous wage surplus. No £300M signings then...

yeh i had this aswell with liverpool :( could only increase it by 60m then after that it would only go up by like 50k despite having 1m excess budget

Archived