Do GK's have a hidden penalty save stat?

I go on anticipation reflexes and agility. Specifically the GKs ability to predict where the ball will go, his ability to react if it doesn't go there, and his ability to get to where the ball does go. Maybe composure is also important, but remember, the pressure is on the kicker. Similarly i can't see concentration being that important - no GK is going to have a problem concentrating during a shoot out surely?

It is a hidden stat that isn't shown on the game or in game editor

That's awfuly convenient!

It's like the old "god is everywhere...but you can't see him/hear him/speak to him" argument.

If such a stat existed then please provide one logical reason why it isn't visible in the editor?

That's awfuly convenient!

It's like the old "god is everywhere...but you can't see him/hear him/speak to him" argument.

If such a stat existed then please provide one logical reason why it isn't visible in the editor?

why would i make it up? im a researcher. i enter this information for southampton goalkeepers. i know which stats i enter. take my word for it :)

why would i make it up? im a researcher.:)

I'd replied before i read your location :o

Considering it is something a manager can observe in training etc it seems very daft that we are given no indication in game of how good a GK is at saving pens.

why would i make it up? im a researcher. i enter this information for southampton goalkeepers. i know which stats i enter. take my word for it :)

I remember for EHM, we used a program to help with the stats, its possible FM uses a similar program and indeed it may have a penalty saving stat.

Well, I cannot say if there is a hidden attribute, but once I had Fabian Carini who saved many penalties. In his attributes the one I found at the maximum of 20 was "Penalty Taking" (??? or something like that. In Italian was Rigori). So he should be supposed to be a great penalty taker, not a penalty saver, but he was.

You can look at the penalty ability of a goalkeeper, during a match, going in the tactic screen and select quality->penalty and it is shown for GK too.

So for me, the attribute is shown (more or less clearly) and it is Penalty.

The attribute is researched as Matt said, but it is not used in the game.

Thanks for that. Can I ask whats the point of researching it if it's not used, is it taken into account for other stats?

Thanks for that. Can I ask whats the point of researching it if it's not used, is it taken into account for other stats?

Maybe it is going to be used when they find a way of incorporating it into the game.

At least that answers our question, i was wondering if i'd been selecting my GKs wrongly lol

Well, I cannot say if there is a hidden attribute, but once I had Fabian Carini who saved many penalties. In his attributes the one I found at the maximum of 20 was "Penalty Taking" (??? or something like that. In Italian was Rigori). So he should be supposed to be a great penalty taker, not a penalty saver, but he was.

You can look at the penalty ability of a goalkeeper, during a match, going in the tactic screen and select quality->penalty and it is shown for GK too.

So for me, the attribute is shown (more or less clearly) and it is Penalty.

That is still his penalty-taking attribute, despite him being a goalkeeper. Keepers can take penalties you know :D

even if there is a stat, i dont recon it should be viewable in the game. coz then all we will see in the forums is 'my goalie is 20 at saving penaltys there player is 9 at taking penaltys and he scored the game cheats...'. plus penaltys are to unpredictable

does this even matter??? the only time i see GK saving penalties is when the other player has horrible penalty taking stat, i am yet to see a good GK saving a penalty from a good penalty taker in FM08. in fact GKs hardly move in penalties, they only save them when penalty taker has low penalty stat and shoots the ball near the GK... so imo it's all down to the penalty taker in FM08

does this even matter??? the only time i see GK saving penalties is when the other player has horrible penalty taking stat, i am yet to see a good GK saving a penalty from a good penalty taker in FM08. in fact GKs hardly move in penalties, they only save them when penalty taker has low penalty stat and shoots the ball near the GK... so imo it's all down to the penalty taker in FM08

That's pretty much what I was thinking. The GK never tries to guess the shot in FM, never moves before the shot and only saves if the ball is hit towards the middle of the goal or a tiny bit to either side. But then that's just how the 2D interprets things, the amount of saves the GK's make might actually be more reliant on GK stats than the 2D suggests.

@ Matthew Le God

fm07 defenders would close down players and tackle much better then in fm08, you can this is still bugged with 8.0.2

fm07 GKs much better then in fm08, penalties and 1vs1 are clear examples where GKs fail in fm08.

fm07 wingers would run like hell and then make a cross, fm08 wingers will think for 1 second then run then they slow down and then cross, sometimes they even stop when they are already running...

fm08 hundreds of tackles from behind and many inside penalty area and are sucesseful, unless you are suicidal i doubt many players will tackle from behind inside penalty area in real life

fm08 game is mathematical, i mean most of time 2 or 3 shots and you'll see a goal, i know if i make 2 or 3 shots i will see a goal no matter how stupd it will be, same goes for AI.

players making 1 sec tackle and at same time an amazing pass to strikers, even if the defender is near his GK

these are just some of the situations which were better in fm07. i could keep going on but this is not the place to discuss the whole match engine, but i also respect your opinion.

@ Matthew Le God

fm07 defenders would close down players and tackle much better then in fm08, you can this is still bugged with 8.0.2

fm07 GKs much better then in fm08, penalties and 1vs1 are clear examples where GKs fail in fm08.

fm07 wingers would run like hell and then make a cross, fm08 wingers will think for 1 second then run then they slow down and then cross, sometimes they even stop when they are already running...

fm08 hundreds of tackles from behind and many inside penalty area and are sucesseful, unless you are suicidal i doubt many players will tackle from behind inside penalty area in real life

fm08 game is mathematical, i mean most of time 2 or 3 shots and you'll see a goal, i know if i make 2 or 3 shots i will see a goal no matter how stupd it will be, same goes for AI.

players making 1 sec tackle and at same time an amazing pass to strikers, even if the defender is near his GK

these are just some of the situations which were better in fm07. i could keep going on but this is not the place to discuss the whole match engine, but i also respect your opinion.

Totally agree, currently loving my FM 2007 career at the moment.

That's pretty much what I was thinking. The GK never tries to guess the shot in FM, never moves before the shot and only saves if the ball is hit towards the middle of the goal or a tiny bit to either side. But then that's just how the 2D interprets things, the amount of saves the GK's make might actually be more reliant on GK stats than the 2D suggests.

Actually, they do move sometimes before the shot. I've seen it a few times that a keeper was already diving even before the penalty kicker kicked the ball. Seeing how the keeper was then fumbled in a corner, the penalty kicker was surprised for a few seconds, then simply shot it through the middle, before the keeper could get up again.

I also had a keeper who manages to stop penalties every now and then, even ones which should be placed at the far end of the goal, right next to the pole.

Which doesn't mean the game engine is actually better, btw ;-) For the obvious mentioned reasons.

Archived