Tall or small defenders?

Jumping is the attribute to look for. Height is only a bit of trivia. And why should height be "important like IRL"? Jumping is the only advantage of height and that is already a key statistic. And there are plenty of small men in the game who jump higher than their taller opponents.

Yeah i can sww SWP out jumpin Crouchy

That is obviously a silly comparison, Wright-Phillips is 4ft 8 and Crouch is 7ft 3.

But have you ever seen Peter Crouch's feet leave the ground? He doesn't win everything in the air, there are plenty of 6ft-ish defenders in the game who can win balls from him on a regular basis.

Jumping is about more than just height.

Jumping is the attribute to look for. Height is only a bit of trivia. And why should height be "important like IRL"? Jumping is the only advantage of height and that is already a key statistic. And there are plenty of small men in the game who jump higher than their taller opponents.

I don't know how this work in UK but here in Italy the majority of CB's are tall.

If two player jump the same the tallest one should won the majority of balls, am i right? ;)

I don't know how this work in UK but here in Italy the majority of CB's are tall.

If two player jump the same the tallest one should won the majority of balls, am i right? ;)

unfortunately it doesnt work that way! look at how tall Peter Crouch is, and he doesnt win everything in the air, even though he's about 6 foot 7 (i think)

well thing is i have Greg van de Wiel. he is 5ft 8 my coach leep saying he is best Cb but i play him at Rb cos im scared he will get out jumped way to much. so i use 6 ft 4 instead.

on the corner stat it says mark tall player? a 6 ft player with same for jumping and heading as a 5 8 is gonna get higher?

That does sound logical but there are more 'issue's' involved. For instance: If your opponent used a 6ft4 striker and you have a 5ft8 defender with same jumping skills but you man mark and tight mark and perhaps even hard tackling on the opponent, your defender might still win.

Another issue is the Anticipation and positioning skill. And the Off the Ball skill for the attacking opponent. That what makes FM so hard :D

unfortunately it doesnt work that way! look at how tall Peter Crouch is, and he doesnt win everything in the air, even though he's about 6 foot 7 (i think)

Yes, but that isn't what he said. He said if two players jump the same then the tallest will win everything. So if Peter Crouch were to jump the same height off the ground (measured by how far his feet are off the ground) as some 6ft player then he should win the header every time.

Jumping and Height are totally unrelated as attributes (or should be, I mean), but the taller you are the less you need to jump to reach the same height as a smaller player. I'd imagine weight has far more to do with jumping (in real life) than height since if you are very heavy you will struggle to jump as high!

Personally I just look at comparing the Jumping attribute when I am looking which of the two opposing centre-backs to put my target man up against, and if his jumping attribute is less than both of them I generally play run onto the ball instead of ball to head.

Yeah i can sww SWP out jumpin Crouchy
when you talk about these stats. if its true i woudl win every game this season. my players are far better. but in well down the leageu in 2nd place. :(

2nd place in the league - what a disaster! :rolleyes:

FM is not an arcade game where you can expect to win every game "because you are better". It is a simulation, and there is a random factor present, just like in real life that means you will lose games against weaker teams. The challenge is in how you respond to those defeats, and how you optimise your chances of not losing the next time.

Also, FM, is a game, not real life, and people need to learn to play it LIKE a game, not like real life.

when i lose tho. im seldom shocked as to why i lose. normally its on the back of 60% of possesion to a header form a small guy from a throw in 1-0..

i get angry thats what happens, mainly cos its like 5 games in a row and not 1 on 10 games. :(

when i lose tho. im seldom shocked as to why i lose. normally its on the back of 60% of possesion to a header form a small guy from a throw in 1-0..

i get angry thats what happens' date=' mainly cos its like 5 games in a row and not 1 on 10 games. :([/quote']

In which case it's a problem with your tactics or your players - if it happens in groups, check the weather, a tactic that is suited to a dry pitch is likely to be fairly useless on a muddy pitch.

If i have >3 or 4 "upsets" in a season it's generally because somethings wrong with my tactic. I feel 3 or 4 games are enough to attribute to luck.

As to the original question height is mostly cosmetic - it does work as a guide to jumping so you shouldn't end up with a 4ft 8 guy with 18 jumping and a 6ft 6 guy with 3, however jumping isn't the only stat important in winning a header. This used to be the case pre FM08, however anticipation, positioning, bravery, decisions etc have become more important, hence why people are complaining more about dwarfs winning headers.

To clarify - it is my understanding that if someone has a jumping of 15, they are able to jump as high (i.e. head a ball that is as high) as any other player with a jump of 15.

So, if you have a 2ft player with 20 jumping, and a 10'3" player with 20 jumping, neither has an advantage, as the jumping stat measures how far they get their head from the ground - not their feet?

To clarify - it is my understanding that if someone has a jumping of 15, they are able to jump as high (i.e. head a ball that is as high) as any other player with a jump of 15.

So, if you have a 2ft player with 20 jumping, and a 10'3" player with 20 jumping, neither has an advantage, as the jumping stat measures how far they get their head from the ground - not their feet?

Im pretty sure this is correct yes, since as has already been stated, height is trivia NOT a match stat.

However, I think this really should be changed in 09. For example, crouch has massive height but not very good jumping, since he doesnt NEED good jumping lol, whereas tim cahil isnt anywhere near as high but leaps like he has a rocket strapped to him.

Fully correct

Im pretty sure this is correct yes, since as has already been stated, height is trivia NOT a match stat.

However, I think this really should be changed in 09. For example, crouch has massive height but not very good jumping, since he doesnt NEED good jumping lol, whereas tim cahil isnt anywhere near as high but leaps like he has a rocket strapped to him.

Agree. There are some instances where a naturally tall player is at an advantage to a good jumper, but in the grand scheme of things i suppose there are more important things for SI to fix first.

i thought that height adds to the jumping attribute?

Height is factored into the jumping attribute. If he's 7 foot tall, the jumping attribute will reflect this; if he's 3'6" his low jumping att will reflect that. However it isn't the only factor - a player's timing, and 'springability' will be factored in too.

Height is factored into the jumping attribute. If he's 7 foot tall, the jumping attribute will reflect this; if he's 3'6" his low jumping att will reflect that. However it isn't the only factor - a player's timing, and 'springability' will be factored in too.

Basically, in order to see how good a player is at winning headers, you need to factor in the following attributes:

Heading, Jumping, Balance, Strength, Anticipation, Decisions (IMHO the 2 most important mental stats in the game), Positioning, Bravery and Aggression.

I know it sounds like ALOT of stats, and some are definitely more important than others, heading, jumping and bravery being the 3 main ones, but in this latest version, NOTHING seems to be simple!

These stats also explain why john terry is a GOD in the air - since he has 17+ stats in basically all of these.

there should be something in the game to make better use of height not just with heading. like tall players it is far easier to consistently lump balls into their chest and for them to keep possesion. much more unlikely with small players.

• 1 month later...

I've just found this out today - and there was me thinking I had a team of talented giants. :S

height has more of an impact than just aerial battles. height definately helps you in the aerial battle you cant really argue with that. also height has an impact on players reach and a bigger target for people to pass to.

a lot of adebayors strengths are because of his height and im not even talking aerial battles. he has a big advantage on the floor cause his legs are much longer it really helps him. he wouldnt be the same player if he was smaller.

fm will one day fully reflect this i would've thought

Tall players aren't necessarily good in the air, I've seen a few giants over the years who were crap. Maybe it has something to do with being taller than everyone when they're young, they didn't need to jump so much. Conversely you do get short players who are good in air - Cahill at Everton for example.

Hmmm, i would say take the example of Micah Richards.

He s got Atleast 18 in heading and 20 in strength and jumping. Wins every header and is not the tallest person in the world.

So height doesnt really matter as much as jumping. strength and heading do imo..

Height has an affect on how high the jumping attribute can get. A player who is 1m50cm will most likely never have 20 in jumping, whereas a tall player has a greater chance of having a higher attribute.

The jumping stat doesn't controll how far off the ground you get, it controlls how high your head gets, so a short player with the same jumping attribute as a tall player will end up jumping the same height.

I think that's fair enough (in fact maybe easier this way), but as with most things, it should be explained to the users of the game,

taller people are generally less able jumpers (in a ratio to height) because a) they tend to be heavier, and b) their limbs are longer, so the mechanical "advantage" from their long levers is actually a detriment

YES! my degree in sport and exercise science isn't going to waste!

Archived