Players under 16

but you can ask for special dispensation IRL for the governing body to enable you to play these under 16 players - IIRC crystal palace and hamilton accies have already done this - should be in FM09! - FOR DEFINITE! as I like to pick up young players at 14 (would prefer younger and work with them from age 8 like ajax etc but hey thats not the issue) and bring them on. would love to be able to ask the league if i could play them in a match - even just 10 mins at the end of the game.

It was my understanding that there is just a straight forward rule in the UK that people can't play professional football if they're under 16.

I know that you're allowed to sign them up on pre-contract youth contracts, but I didn't think you were actually able to play them.

I'm perfectly happy to be shown to be wrong, though.

It was my understanding that there is just a straight forward rule in the UK that people can't play professional football if they're under 16.

I know that you're allowed to sign them up on pre-contract youth contracts, but I didn't think you were actually able to play them.

I'm perfectly happy to be shown to be wrong, though.

That's the case for the league, although special dispensation can be made for clubs who have no option but to play a youngster. I think the FA Cup is excluded from this ruling since it is open to amateur clubs.

What about the Scum(Crystal Palace) playing those players?

I wasn't aware of Palace doing so, I'm afraid.

To Dafuge - thanks for clarifying the situation.

So if they have no other option but to play the very young players, they can do so - but they must demonstrate that it's a last resort?

How a team can get down to just U16s is beyond me, but thanks for the info.

Someone mentioned Palace, so I had to chip in. Just to clarify things, John Bostock made his Palace debut aged 15 in a league match against Watford. I wouldn't have thought the league would have given special permission as we must've had loads players who could have filled the bench.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/7054132.stm

(first ever post - hi!)

i bought a 5foot 4 inch argentinian 17 year old in my first season. he can't play in competitive matches before he's 18. yet liverpool have other argentians that are under 17 and they can play. anyone know why this is?

Probably just UEFA changing the rules to suit Liverpool again ;)

Archived