The Career Thread - big club edition

You've probably seen The Career Thread where people have documented and discussed their FM careers where the majority have started unemployed or as a lower league club. This is a chance for those of you wishing to manage a bigger club to have a place to discuss it.

There are no restrictions at all, but it should be used for people wishing to have an FM career starting at what they consider a big club, with the possibility of moving clubs in the future. This is for people wishing to start a game and stick with it for the long term, it is not a place for people to brag about their one season where they won everything. Career progression is the key here.

Obviously, trying to draw the line on what is and what isn't a big club is an impossible task so I'm not going to try and do it but as a rough guide I would consider any club comparable with a decent Championship club in terms of stature a big club.

One thing that would be useful is when starting a new game could you post your starting setup (leagues, database etc.) and your manager reputation.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest roberto922

Finally I can post about my 2021 Everton Game :D I'll post a couple of things in a bit, you should consider putting it as a sticky until you release the sub forum (if you do)

I am thinking of starting a kind of career game using top level leagues only and starting with an international reputation (or would that be too much). I've loaded top divisions in every contintent excluding Africa and all the major ones in the World. I am doing this as I want to have a world career but my computer cannot cope with too many leagues (even what I have loaded 14 leagues in 14 countries might be too much). If I start umemployed with an international reputation would this be suitable for a career type game for this thread. One more question is it realistic to have both a club and national job at the same time? Thanks for any replies.

Guest roberto922

BTW, after I'd finished my France challenge I've just taken over RC Lens in 2008 who were relegated to Ligue 2 a couple of months ago, would they count as a big thread? Also I want to update on my nation, is there anywhere to do that yet? Could be worth trying out to test the popularity.

I want to try to manage in several different countries though. I want to load as many different countries as possible. The more countries the better. So loading the top divisions only is the only way I can load that many countries and as I said that might be too much any way so I am going to test the speed of it first and then may decide to restart and remove some.

Sounds like a good idea starting out as a big team.

Might start one as the mighty Boca and see how long it takes me in my career to win the Champions League.

I like competing with others doing this does anyone have any ideas on starting leagues they are going to try to turn this into a 'challenge'?

Guest roberto922

Good idea Paul :thup: I'll start now, what nations are you using? I'm gonna do the big ones that I'm familiar with:

England: Championship and up

France: Ligue 1

Spain: La Liga

Italy: Serie B and up

Germany: Bundesliga

Scotland: Premier League

I thought maybe everyone in this could start unemployed, but with professional or international footballer as starting rep?

That is a good suggestion and would be what I would do when starting a career game like this but am not sure everyone will agree with this as they may want to start at a certain club.

Guest roberto922

It's just an option though Jod, we ain't gonna demand that people do thi, mind you if this spawns a sub forum it could have it's own thread.

Guest roberto922

Quick assessment. We've got a fairly strong squad, we're expected to finish in mid table, £1k p/w below wage budget, bank balance of £1.6 million

Guest roberto922

I got daniel Parejo in on loan, I'm gonna have a go for Vicor Anichebe if I manage to sell Pongolle, or just get him in on loan.

Guest roberto922

Get Ched Evans or Anichebe in on loan if you want my advice Paul change the writing to the left into black, I don't know what the rules are for player tipping so..

Archived