Friendlies: Who do you play against?

Hey guys, just a quick question. What kind of teams do you guys tend to play against in pre-season friendlies? Do you play against big teams or small teams? Or against a mixture of both? I tend to play against smaller teams and build up my fitness and around the end of July/beginning of August, I play against teams like Milan, Real etc. Is this a good way?

Also, if I play home games against teams like Man Utd, Barca etc. would that increase my season tickets sales?

Thanks

i tend to let the assistant take care of it, he usually gets me a good variety of opposition, although last season i only ended up with one friendly. dunno what happened there!!

I usually do it by myself, if I'm a club not in the top 2 divisions of that country I usually try to get 1 from the top league and 1 from the 2nd league and then a few from below. But if I'm a top team, I usually try to organise a pre-season tournament with top European sides.

I get the Ass Man on it. People say when you're a small team to get games against the big teams to get some revenue but if you are a truly dire team, they pummel you and you end up with morale so low it's beyond repair and then you suffer going into the league games.

The assistant manager should always be trusted :p

I'll use my Watford game as an example here, i tend to play about 6 pre-season fixtures each year and the standard of these games varies, i may go on a tour to a country where i stand a chance against their top flight sides, if not i'll try and get one of the bigger UEFA cup sides to come to my place to give my side a good work in the hope a suprise win will give a good morale boost. I'll perhaps play a couple of sides from a league or two below me in England and then perhaps a local non-league side.

I then have my reserves play local non-league sides from the Conference south and southern/ryman leagues whilst my under 18s will play local non-league sides from the leagues below ryman premier level, ie. Step 4 and below.

With my Lazio team I normally create a 4 match tour in a different continent from the middle of July to the start of August then 2 home glamour matches. This season I toured Australia and had home games against Arsenal and Atletico Madrid.

I usually fix up a tour of America or China, then i set up any required feeder friendlies. Finally if there is a team that has impressed me in the previous season (usually as one of my kids has been on loan or they put up a good fight in a cup tie against me) then i will arrange a friendly and throw them some money, i'm so generous!

I tour in whatever countries i have merch feeders. Usually china and USA. Makes your merch income huge eventually - was well over £80m a season even if i didn't sign any "big names".

If i'm a lower club i just leave it too my ass man, mainly as whether a club accepts your invite is almost random - e.g. i had barca play at tranmere but liverpool declined - no champions league qualifiers or anything like that, was just weird.

Always do a short 3-match tour of an emerging country (gotta help the game develop overseas, ya know! :D), although I tend to focus on feeder club countries (usually either go to China, the USA, or Japan. I would like to do Australia, but they start their pre-season in July unfortunately so it's difficult to arrange).

After that, it's a series of home friendlies every few days against a random selection of mid-range European clubs. I just go with whoever appears to be available and who I think it might be interesting to play.

If I'm a club in the second tier or lower of the country I'm playing in then I get friendlies against big teams' U-18s to get more ticket sales than against teams smaller than me. This trick works in BSN/BSS aswell if you get your U-18s to play like UTD and Liverpool U-18s all season as they aren't in a league.

I enjoy playing against a variety of teams from across the globe. It's a nice break from those same league rivals that you play every year. Sometimes I will play a random team from some country, enjoy the game, and start scheduling them next year and the following year, starting a tradition. I also like to play some of the teams I had previously managed in that game or past games (Darlington, Cardiff, et cetera).

My first two friendlies are usually against a League Two then League One side. Then I'll take a three game tour ta country in which I have a feeder club, with that team being one of the opposistion. Finally, I'll play a game against a team from the top division from one of the top nations, although not one of the very top teams from these leagues.

i usually arrange a couple of ties against smaller opposition, then one or two against teams on a similar level to me, then i try to finish it off with a home glamour tie (which i then hope is picked up for TV, giving me an extra little cash boost)

for my reserves, i always arrange a cup or league against my feeder clubs/reserves of clubs on the same level as me, while the u'18s get a cup/league against non-league local rivals.

Hate going on tour to places like China, never do that.

As Newcastle I played my customary game against Gateshead with the young lads, then Sunderland Nissan with a mixture which ended up only 4-0... Then Plymouth and Hull, my feeder clubs, whose requests I was not allowed to reject which was a pain as the games were way to close and it sort of ruined the pre-season.

Everyone was knackered for a tour of Germany, beat Bochum 5-0, and Stuttgart we lost 2-1 with a weak side out, before The Toon Cup which we got knocked out by the eventual winners Real Madrid in the first game.

Too many games as the feeder clubs are a pain. Ah well :D

like many other people, i just let my assistant manager do it, but ill also arrange a pre season tournament with my reserves, under 18's and my local club, bury town. this lets me comapare my youngesters against the current first team and see if any are close to being able to make the step up

Archived