Suggestion - chairman ambition ultimatum

I'm playing a career game where I am currently managing Wycombe battling for promotion from the Championship. It is quite clear that my ambition and the chairman's ambition is quite different, I am determined to reach the Premier League but he has sold my top players year after a year. Two years running he sold my top goalscorer which has annoyed me to the point of almost quitting to find a new club.

I'm not suggesting that the chairman interference be removed, I actually quite like it, but I'm suggesting there should be some kind of negotiation between the manager and the board in terms of how ambitious the club should be.

This could be in the form of an ultimatum, a simple 'stop selling the players or I'm off' where the chairman can either raise his ambition level and stop selling the players or hand you your P45.

Just wondering , not really on topic, but why wouldn't a chairman be ambitious. Isn't it a dream of all lower league chairman to become a Premiership club?

Perhaps he's quite happy to keep the club in the Championship and keep the profit coming in from all the players he's selling. It's not as if the club needs the money so it is a bit odd that he's doing it.

yeah its definitely needed, theres almost no interaction with the board at all, whether to do with player sales, ground expansions, or budgets... ought to be at least a couple of options added, hopefully in 09

I think the chairman AI should be able to recognise how ambitious the manager is and act according to it.

1st season in the Championship:

Board: try to stay out of trouble.

Manager: agrees.

Chairman can see it as the manager not being ambitious enough and might have tempations to cash in some of the best players.

However, a chairman stepping in and selling players for a manager who has stated his ambition is to get promoted should happen scarcely if ever.

If that were to keep on happening there also should be a way to talk to him and make him realise that player is a key player for a reason and that if he is sold the season's expectations might not be fulfilled and it will be his fault and not yours.

It's a shame you can't see the chairman's stats anymore in the game like you could on previous CMs.

That's a pretty good point actually. When taking a job at a club I think you should be given some kind of idea as to how ambitious the chairman is and how likely he is to back you to succeed. If I'd known my Wycombe chairman was this bad I might not have taken the job.

Just wondering , not really on topic, but why wouldn't a chairman be ambitious. Isn't it a dream of all lower league chairman to become a Premiership club?

Actually, no. There are plenty of them who don't even dream of going there. A chairman of a lower league club might be really enjoying his relaxing job, since there is no media jumping on his back all the time, there are no huge amounts of money transferring back and forth, so he won't risk going bankrupt either. He can safely spend some money, without actually risking really much.

For some people, being a chairman is simply a 'hobby', just like how much you enjoy playing Football Manager. Once you will have to put down your own money, it gets different. Like when you're playing poker and playing with a few bucks, that's really fun.

Once you start playing poker with millions, it gets really stressful. Some chairmen don't like that much and prefer staying much more behind the scenes.

Not to mention that, in the Dutch lower-league, the best team IJsselmeervogels even said that they didn't want to promote to a higher level, because it's much more fun staying there. They have all their rivals in that league, which also generates much more money than whenever they promote to a league where they don't have any rivals, even considering prize money and all.

I guess that can also be a reason.

Oh. Sorry for the off-topic reply ;-)

Archived