Ill-Timed Retirement...?

I'm on the eve of the Euro 08 Final as England manager against France and have had a bad spell of luck with injuries already. Before the Semifinal I lost two players to injuries in training and after the victory to reach the final I suffered two more. While I was upset about this I figured what the hell, I'd maybe manager a win over France anyways.

So on the day of the European Championship Final what happens? My starting keeper David James decides he's had enough of international football and RETIRES....yes RETIRES. Apparently he figured he'd rather sit out of the final than have a chance at glory.

We'll see how this goes with Carson as his replacement.

That's actually what I figured to Neji but he still has time on his contract with Pompey. Anyways, the day of the final Rooney suffered a broken toe in training....can't imagine why they'd train so rigorously. Though I was upset I went on and played the final down six men (5 starters) and sure enough we managed a resounding 2-0 victory over France. :)

It's probably worth mentioning this in the bugs forum and providing a save game if you have one from before he retired. I'm sure this has been reported before but it would be worth checking.

WHS. Shocking that, really. I'd be like

RETIRE :mad:

RE. Fing. TIRE.

I'll give you retire.

"Gun shot". :)

Although in reality, James isn't that important. :p

I had a similar thing happen with arjen robben, not quite as dramatic as that though, think it was mid october and we was all qualified for the world cup with his help, he was only 29 and he decides he wants to retire, despite being an integral part of my dutch team. Anyway I had words and he reconsidered

Archived