Do you play FM in fullscreen or not?

Use fullscreen?  

525 members have voted

1. 1. Use fullscreen?

• Yes, i play FM in fullscreen
    • No, i use window mode, its better.

Well at the beginning i did use fullscreen but has you know FM is that kind of game where you are playing it and doing something else, like browsing the net, music etc other things. In fullscreen it had the tendency to freeze while it was loading etc has im constantly changing programs with the tab button, so now ive started using window mode, it makes the game smother and not to crash/freeze so often. Beside i can change programs better now.

And yes FM is now on while im posting this :)

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How do I use window mode?

1. Right-click on the football manager icon on your desktop and select properties.
  2. Click the shortcut tab and type the following: "-small_screen -windowed" into the target box after what is already in there.
  3. Then click apply and ok.

hehe :p

Oh and ive notice in fullscreen FM toke a huge part of the memory, some 120mb...

Now its running in window mode is on 14mb, its a huge difference i wonder why i didn't put it in window mode has im doing other things like you guys...

Well maybe cause i didnt think about it or i didnt know how to put it in window mode

How do I use window mode?

1. Right-click the FM icon on your desktop & click on "properties"

2. In the "target" field in the dialogue box that opens, add "-windowed -small_screen" at the end of the target, making sure there's a space in between.

So it should read like this: "C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2008\fm.exe" -windowed -small_screen

3. Save your changes & you'll be able to play FM in window mode next time you run FM.

Have never used windowed mode as I can never get it to work. I am using Vista so can't follow the instructions above either!

i got vista mate :)

and my god...the difference is huge! Why didnt i think of this earlier! The game runs so fast now and i can switch tasks naturally without any freezes

There's a keyboard shortcut for windowed mode as well. Its default is Alt-Enter (Alt-Return).

I use that a lot because I like to run fullscreen when I can, as I get more into the game, but often cannot as I'm doing other things like this! So rather than Alt-Tab, which is problematic on the eyes, Alt-Return and then when done with other tasks: highlight the windowed game, click inside it's window, and hit Alt-Return again. Back to immersion-mode.

1. Right-click on the football manager icon on your desktop and select properties.
  2. Click the shortcut tab and type the following: "-small_screen -windowed" into the target box after what is already in there.

Well, the first step would be to try the "windowed" box in options, surely? May not need teh small screen thingie after all...

Well, the first step would be to try the "windowed" box in options, surely? May not need teh small screen thingie after all...

It didn't work on my Vista x64 laptop, so for me the shortcut solution is the way to go...

hehe :p

Oh and ive notice in fullscreen FM toke a huge part of the memory, some 120mb...

Now its running in window mode is on 14mb, its a huge difference i wonder why i didn't put it in window mode has im doing other things like you guys...

Well maybe cause i didnt think about it or i didnt know how to put it in window mode

Does this mean it runs quicker?

Getting an error message saying "make sure your system supports these settings", seen other people saying this aswell. Anybody no how to get round this problem?

Did you try this method?

Ive tried both and i get the same message

"C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2008\fm.exe" -small_screen -windowed "

That is exactly what is in the target box for me and it works. Is that what you have in it?

Does this mean it runs quicker?

yes, and i notice the huge difference now. Changing tabs is insta-mode now. On fullscreen the game lags/freezes if i change tasks or even if im not doing anything so window mode all the way to me now :) it makes a huge difference trust me, i spend more hours that usual on FM yesterday

Getting an error message saying "make sure your system supports these settings", seen other people saying this aswell. Anybody no how to get round this problem?

I have vista as well and I had this message, for me i can only get windowed mode to work if i change the screen resolution to the maximum (1440 x 900 for me). Might be worth playing around with different resolutions then trying unticking the full screen box in each different resolution.

Nope im on vista and i go into properties and when i go to select Target it wont let me type anything into it or select it :(

im on vista x64 and i couldn't get windowed mode to work before, got the error message but if u go to a shortcut for fm, click on the Shortcut tab and u should be able to type in the target box and get this to work, don't type into the actual .exe file located in C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2008 or wherever u installed the game

Full screen. I like windowed mode actually, havent used it for a long time because I had a rubbish monitor but now I have my PC hooked up to my Bravia, I may just go back to windowed mode.

I still use the full-screen mode as I like have the whole screen contained with my FM information. :D

It alt-tabs perfectly fine for me too (even during matches if I forget to pause the action) so I don't find it a particularly annoying bother; and I alt-tab out a lot as I'm writing a story as I play my Arsenal game.

Archived