Loyalty or new challenge?

When playing the game do you prefer to stick to the one club and become a legendary manager within that club? Or do you prefer to leave the job after a while and go for a new one.

I often run out of enthusiasm when I generally conquer whatever division I’m playing in, and then go for a much more challenging target, taking over one of the worst in the league.

Which do you prefer to do?

one club, never got to grips with changing clubs, even if i'm not managing the team i support. if, for some reason i find myself out of a job, then thats it, time to start a new game!!

I move clubs a lot, but still stay at some time enough to be legends.

I move whenever I feel I can't take the club any further. Sometimes that's because I've won everything, sometimes that's because I've hit a brick wall, sometimes thats because results are spiralling fast, and sometimes that's because I've been sacked.

If it's for the latter three reasons, I move to a better club if I can, and if it's for the former, then I'll move to a club worse than that one was when I started.

Also (very) often, for whichever of the reasons for leaving, I'll go back to my former clubs when they're failing, to try and put them back where I had them berfore - and further!

in fm07, i was at madrid for 5 years without a trophy (not sacked, somehow), then when i bought Lucas before he went to liverpool irl, and arteta, we won the CL and back to back league titles by 20/25 pts. then one december, lionel messi requested a transfer from barcelona which they set at £29.5M. i had £27.5M to spend and was refused an increase so that i could bring the current world player of the year to t'Bernabeau. i quit in disgust and took the sevilla job. messi went to roma for £39.5M.

real sold all the players who proved vital in myt sucessful spell, but still won the league on the basis of what i had done in the league until september.

at least i won my first game back at the bernabeau 0-1.

whenever a giant begins to faulter, or get relegated like liverpool in my game, i always save just before i apply for the job so that i can continue my career at my current club and move on to another club on different saves.

but i agree with NepentheZ, the AI would totally trash my squad within a year, which scares me.

1 Club. Always.

I find it extremely difficult to leave a club and watch the AI undo everything I've spent the last 30+ seasons doing.

Haha, fully agree. It doesn't take them belong before they begin dismantle your squad.

one club, never got to grips with changing clubs, even if i'm not managing the team i support. if, for some reason i find myself out of a job, then thats it, time to start a new game!!

That's exacctly what I used too do mate. But recently i've found it only takes you a season or two before you've brought in a good batch of players and you begin to feel it's 'your team' again with another club.

...and you can then begin to get revenge on the Hibernian board for sacking you. :D

winbitchsn1.th.jpg

1 Club. Always.

I find it extremely difficult to leave a club and watch the AI undo everything I've spent the last 30+ seasons doing.

Same, its terrible when you buy heaps of good youth then leave adn they sell them all.

I have to change clubs. I get bored being at the same club all teh time. Im on my 4th club in 11 years. Been at my current club for three years, my first I have had two stints at for four years, Portsmouth for one year before I jumped their ship and joined Roma for three years.

I've done both with FM. I've taken Prescot Cables all the way to the CL and tried the same with Sirocco Works, although that was virtually impossible. Currently I'm playing a game where I started unemployed and I'm currently in the Premier League with Middlesbrough which is the sixth club I've managed.

Both equally enjoyable games.

It depends, really, on what kind of game I'm playing:

1) As I've put on here before, I'm from Reading, am a Season Ticket holder, etc, so it's emotionally hard-wired into me to want to play as Reading, and get them to the top, as I'm never, ever going to see that in real life. If I start out at Reading I'll just keep going til they fire me! Then I'll just start again, and try to learn from my mistakes.

2) If I don't fancy playing as Reading, or if I get a bit bored 10 or 15 seasons in (whilst still languishing in mid table!!) I'll start out with a non-league side, and then hop around, jumping from team to team, improving my reputation trying to get to the top as a manager, not as a club - much like, on the whole, a proper 'career'.

I usually leave my team because I feel aggrieved at some injustice. If I start off with an solid team that isn't much of a challenge I instead just start a new game.

My current game I started off as the Red Bulls (MLS) and after 2 seasons of building the team up I got sick of the squad and salary cap restrictions that stopped me from importing in players to make the MLS competitive. So I left and got a job at Grays Athletic where I a couple seasons getting them to League 2 than League 1 to eventually to the Championship where midway through the seasons, the 2-3 gems I picked up were sold by my chairman. I resigned in disgust hoping now I would have the reputation to sneak into a Premiership team. That failed and I ended up at Milwall where I spent a half a season with good results until I left on the basis that there parent club was Arsenal and I simply did not want Championship football anymore. However, I had no place else to turn except back to Grays who were now dangerously close to relegation. I took over again and in half a season came 3 points short of playoffs. Being sick of playing in lower quality leagues where I could not develop or keep talent I left for almost 4 year as manager of Nigeria. Not having to worry about transfers or player politics was relieving and I won a Cup of Nations and made an excellent run in the World Cup with nail biting victories against England and Portugal (got blown out by France) and a thrashing of #1 ranked Argentina for 3rd place. Finally I got my wish and after almost a year on vacation trying to get the a job, Newcastle gave me one in December sitting dead last with 14 points. I intend to build a dynasty here, but first dig myself out of last.

I almost never move clubs, certainly not with my main manager. I often have multiple managers in a game though and sometimes one will be nomadic, but I don't get the same level of interest when I have to mess about with the boredom of getting new staff in place, setting up training and tactics again and buying new players at a new club etc.

Following up a title winning 2nd season at Werder Bremen by finishing 22 points behind Bayern Munich in "defence" of our title was certainly more than enough to stop me getting bored at the same club! I pondered hurling myself into the Baltic, but having decided against that there was plenty still to do at the club without the need of a new challenge!

I like to start on career games with new FM's. So I end up changing jobs quite a few tiems over 30 years or so. I like the realism of doing this. I like to stay loyal to the team though, in only quitting when I think I have done all I can for them. I never break contracts either.

I just go here the game takes me.

Im currently managing Manchester United, but have got leagues loaded up from other European countries, (Italy, Spain, etc.), so once I feel Ive done all I can do/want to at United I leave and see what else is available. After spending X number of years at one club and noticing giants in other leagues struggling, I find it very satisfying to take them over and make them the force they once were.

Usually, I'll stay with a club for 10-12 seasons, then move on and change every 3-4 years. Still playing the same game since December 07, started as Hamburg (12 seasons), then half a season in holiday mode, then Real Madrid for 4 1/2 years, then half a season in holiday mode, now with Bayern Munich, let's see how that goes.

The challenge in FM is to build a squad capable of achieving things and to invest in promising youngsters. But it breaks my heart to see the AI undo things so quickly. After leaving Hamburg, the AI sold players for 183 million euro, but that doesn't tell the real story, because they sold some 190+ PA youngsters for 30k/45k/60k/90k. Breaks my heart.

Same after leaving Real. The new manager sold players for 177 million, including promising youngsters for laughable amounts, not even what their nominal value was.

I'm too loyal - or perhaps I simply get attached easily. I don't change clubs, but if I feel I want a club, I create a new manager with his own personality/traits and use that one for the club.

Currently I'm managing Vitesse (Dutch Premier Division) and Hayes & Yeading (English Blue Square South) with 2 managers. Also got to manage a national team with the Vitesse manager (first Estonia, but after 1.5 years and seeing what my youth players are, I got offered the job at Ghana). Both managers 'live' for 6 years by now and I prefer to take them both to the top of the world. The only way to get rid of one of them is when they get sacked, otherwise they'll stay there until eternity, I guess. Or until they force me to retire.

But I guess FM 09 will be there before that ;-)

I once took Vitesse to the top, back in CM 96-97 or something, where I played 'till 2015 or something, when the game decided to quit on me by generating tons of 'array out of bounds' errors every time I pressed continue - which made the game literally unplayable.

But like I said, I get too easily attached. All players who I've sold or who have played for me are on my shortlist, so I at least get to see them once a year or so, to see how they're doing. After all, I kind of 'raised' them ;-)

One club, reason being by the time I'd consider leaving, I've created an unstoppable team and I know that in order to challenge them, I'd need to buy players from them, players I doubt the club would sell.

That and I usually play as the team I support and hate playing against them.

I get attached to the club I'm at and always bring in young players which means I always want to see them grow, however I'm trying to get a career save going as I like the idea of moving from club to club, just find it hard to get the right setup with the right leagues and to not get attached to my team.

I've done both with FM. I've taken Prescot Cables all the way to the CL and tried the same with Sirocco Works, although that was virtually impossible. Currently I'm playing a game where I started unemployed and I'm currently in the Premier League with Middlesbrough which is the sixth club I've managed.

Both equally enjoyable games.

Often considered doing this, sttarting unemployed and 'working my way up' and earning position rather than just adding myself to the team of my choice.

Archived