difference between newgen and regen?

Regens are made in earlier games but were replaced with newgens.

Regens are basically players who retire would respawn with the same PA with a different name, nationality etc.

Newgens are created as new players. Noone comes back anymore.

Regens are basically players who retire would respawn with the same PA with a different name, nationality etc.

Didn't know that - i'd jest referred to everyone as a regen. At least it's not something i've got to worry about now :D

I remember in 01-02 (I think) you could pick out the next superstars so easily.

Say Zidane was retiring, you could nickname him ZZ and his regen would have the same nickname! Thats how I found out how regens were made. Its quite obvious given the name, but I never thought about it until then.

Actually, if I'm not mistaken that's not completely accurate. Regens also had the same nationality and playing position of their predecessors, plus the distribution of ability points was pretty much the same. I.e in the end they would develop into the same player with a different name. Newgens were basically still regens, but not necessarily with the same position or PA (and with other details altered as well). So the number of players in database would still always remain constant. Current system - the FREDs (since FM07) - means that new players are now in no way connected to the retired ones. Which also means the number of new players is not tied to to the retiring bunch, hence the possibility of having loads of youth players that never make it at any level.

Basically, the term Fred was introduced to differentiate the new system from the newgens.

Yeah, I think you're right about the nationalities of the regens, come to think of it.

I did a quick search too, it seems you are right about the new systems aswell. FREds being the newest.

Anyone know why they are named FREDS?

SI are not willing to disclose why they are called FREDs.

I'll be honest, for a good few weeks, people were talking about this "Fred" bloke, some saying how amazing he was, some how pants he was. I searched for Fred, the Striker, and thought he's not so bad. Fortunately, just before I put my 2 cents in on "Fred - The Striker" in a conversation about "FRED's" - someone beat me too it, and save me the whole barrage of humiliation that said person received :D.

However, Freds, are 100% brand new players.

I personally think fred = Fresh, Regenerated Educated Dunces.

Almost an exact stereotype of every footballer :D

'Fred' seems to have dropped out of useage. Whilst what the above posters have written about the differences between regens and newgens is correct, I think most people just use the terms interchangably now. The old regen system is history; know we discuss the current system of newly-created players/staff (maybe should call them 'facegens' since facegen is exclusively used for them) and their foibles.

So, in a nutshell, in contemporary useage, there's no real difference.

'Fred' seems to have dropped out of useage. Whilst what the above posters have written about the differences between regens and newgens is correct, I think most people just use the terms interchangably now. The old regen system is history; know we discuss the current system of newly-created players/staff (maybe should call them 'facegens' since facegen is exclusively used for them) and their foibles.

So, in a nutshell, in contemporary useage, there's no real difference.

So, basically, regens dont exist anymore? No player's stats are regenerated under a newer guise?

Archived