The True Fun of the Game

I've been looking around this forum and I've realized that a lot of people like to start out with big teams and just buy the same players and use other peoples tactics and so on. I was just wondering if people got any fun out of that because for me the real fun is starting a game with a relatively small team, and just going around looking at random teams and scouting by myself to find my own players. Signing them without checking online to see how good they really are and so on. Asking other people if its a good deal or not, the game for me is a lot more fun when it is played independently, does anyone understand what Im saying and feel the same way?

i've got 3 different saves going on at the minute.. one with my favourite team, one with a team for dafuge's challenge (chippenham town) and im getting ready to start a challenge in the German regional divisions! get a little bit of everything that way!

I used to like playing and losing with small teams until I get to the point where I am able to consistently get 1 or 2 goals in front against stronger teams but never able to hold on to the lead(darn 424). That's when I switch to the bigger teams, less heartache, more fun.

Lol I have no idea what any of the cliches mean but I can pretty much understand what they mean. Well I just realized this when I recently started a game with my favorite club, AC Milan, and it was deathly boring. I imagined it would be fun, bringing up the youth players they have IRL, and managing all of my favorite players. But it wasn't lol. I had a lot more fun in my first save with Scunthorpe when I had no idea about the game, and I signed Francisco Duran for 400k, even though I just found out I could of gotten him for like 25k, and Jordan Collins, a AV Youngster for 675k, which I gaurentee I probably could have gotten for less lol. It was a lot of fun bringing those players up and seeing them draw interest from other bigger teams and such.

I don't like being big clubs, other than Liverpool who I currently am but that's purely because I support them. I hate having high expectation - you can't really 'win'! I like being championship teams or mid-low prem teams and making them a Champions League side.

Also in the future I plan on making my own conference side which should be good fun.

I don't like being big clubs without getting there myself. I like to start unemployed and work up but my last game, I got bored and started with my favourite club, Sheffield Wednesday. Had a cracking game with them so far.

I always start unemployed, with Sunday League experience (as in real life), load up pretty much all the leagues in Europe and then off I go. After that I try to make decisions as I would in real life. Having a great save so far. Started with Spartak Ryazan Russian 2nd, spent 4 seasons there, then off to Padova in Italy C1, one season there before getting hired by Nantes in French 2nd division. After winning the league with them, I applied and got the Ajax job. After a indifferent season with them, the Juventus job came up and thats where I am atm. I'm also the Manager for Cameroon, although I want to get a European Team instead. In 2015/16 season so hopefully there will be some openings after the Euro's.

I don't support any clubs IRL, I tried to start with a big club but I never find it very interesting. I prefer to play with a bit later when I don't know all the players and try to build my own team of new players.

I think that the richest experience of FM has got to be starting small. You get the whole range of experiences available in the game that way. Not to mention the real pride you feel at taking the hard road and succeeding. Also, by playing an unknown team you may actually get to know your players based on your FM experience, rather than coming with expectations modeled after the real players and relationships.

I do think that it can take a bit more commitment to play such a game though, and I can see why the casual player would most enjoy playing with teams and players that he knows, and with a better chance of some early rewards. Hence the 'to each his own'.

My favorite part is finding and developing talents and a good 'clicking' squad of players who'd lay down in front of the bus for each other. The matches are fun, but are second best in terms of fun.

i disagree the richest experience of FM is what you want to get out of the game for example i played a Dafuges challenge last year with gateshead to top of the european game, im having just as much fun playing as Rangers with the intent of getting 10 SPL titles in a row

I only enjoy improving, rather than winning.

I get more satisaction and enjoyment out of getting Blyth Spartans to league 2, or getting Fulham into the champion's league that winning the treble with Milan for 5 years in a row.

Personally i enjoy the challenge of attempting to make Birmingham City the best team in the world due to me supporting them. I did a game starting as Liverpool won all trophies i could in 2 Seasons then i left and went to Birmingham in the Championship. Have since started a New Game as Blues from the off, the challenge here is finding those players that will eventually take me to the top, i prefer to do my own scouting for all the future stars, then i use the player search to browse players that are on the transfer/loan lists or contracts that are expiring.

I think it depends on certain aspects. I am having as much fun now at Arsenal trying to break the competition records as I had at the start of my current game taking Bath City to the Championship. from the BSS.

Once the records are broken I am aiming to rejoin Bath City and turn them into a world power house.

My best moment of the game is when a youth prospect finally breaks into the first team.

I get all proud like its my son. I even get angry when they are constantly overlooked by the national team, I basically turn into Ian Wright!

i know what you mean there. I had a young left-back plucked from Brazil and started playing him regularly. He wrestled away the left full back spot away from Marcell Jansen. Then Dunga called him up and when he made his debut, he thanked me.

I had tears in my eyes...

its clearly not 'to each his own' - think youve muddled yourself there

the nazis used to put that above the enterance to concentration camps meaning 'you get what you deserve',

'each to their own' is more appropriate in this instance.

the nazis used to put that above the enterance to concentration camps meaning 'you get what you deserve',

Oh come on, slightly pedantic me thinks.

No, "to each his own" is correct. Unless you're American, in which case I think your version is more prevalent.

I should appologise, it was in reaction to this individual who is stating stuff in a very catagoricaly manner when he had absolutely no idea what he's talking about.

I just cant help correcting people when they are wrong, if we all learn a little bit every day we will die very clever people. If this has helped you and you wont confuse 'to each his own' & 'each to his own' i feel i will have done my bit not just for the overall knowledge levels of people who use this forum but also maybe, just maybe to end world conflict and suffering in the long run. Remember the mantra 'dont panic its organic'.

Look I'm not after starting an argument but you are talking garbage here, not me. Clearly, "to each his own" and "each to his own" mean exactly the same thing. In British English, the former is more commonly used. In American English, the latter is more prevalent.

Nazis? Concentration camps? Get a grip.

Look I'm not after starting an argument but you are talking garbage here, not me. Clearly, "to each his own" and "each to his own" mean exactly the same thing. In British English, the former is more commonly used. In American English, the latter is more prevalent.

Nazis? Concentration camps? Get a grip.

You dont have to make excuses for yourself, look it up and youll see that 'to each his own' means something completely different.

Its alright, i can see that you didnt know what it meant, just letting you know.

You dont have to make excuses for yourself, look it up and youll see that 'to each his own' means something completely different.

Its alright, i can see that you didnt know what it meant, just letting you know.

It's alright I've looked up your other threads.

Note to self: Don't feed the troll.

Guest roberto922

The only big clubs I've ever gone past a season with on FM have been Everton and AC Milan, only Everton in FM08. I suppose the reason I enjoy playing so much as Everton is because, as a die hard fan, I couldn't imagine myself managing another premiership team past Everton. (and my ultimate ambition of toppling Liverpools 18 titles :D) I' enjoying my game at AFC Wimbledon though :) League One here we come...

Archived