Making your own team... suggestions?

OK so basically I want to make my own team starting in the blue square North and i guess i just want a bit of advice with this really due to my lack of any imagination at the moment lol.

These are the things i need to decide:

Create my own players OR start with none and buy a new team?

transfer/wage budget (obviously depending on which of the above options)?

bank balance?

reputation?

Right I think that'll do, i'd like it to be a bit of a challenge but not too much as I can't claim to be that great at this game lol. Anyway thanks for any suggestions!

Depending on how well you want to do/realistic you want to be you can create your own players or start with none.

I wouldn't give myself any transfer budget if I made the players but if I didn't something like £10,000

Give yourself a bank balance of something like -£10,000 - means you won't be really rich too soon

Take a look at the reputation of other teams in the division. Something ~ 1200 should be okay.

yeh cheers canvey. I was toying with the idea of creating my own players but A) I'd prob end up making them better then they should be and B) i guess its a lot of effort so think i'll have to go with the buying a new squad

Hey there,

I think it depends on the "story" you want this save-game to tell you. If you want the "Dear God, I'm so broke" story, then the suggestions you have here are good. I might have gone with 10k transfer budget, 10k balance, personally .. your costs will run you into the negatives quickly enough.

On the other hand, you might do a story something like "My chairman is a barely-wealthy playboy who comes into the team with hopes but gets disillusioned pretty quickly". In that case, you might give yourself a transfer budget of 100k!, which will be enough to buy your way out of the BSN if you spend it wisely, but not enough to spur you on to greatness. In that case, you might have a bank balance of about 250k, and a reasonable wage budget. You might even set up a move to a team-owned 6,000-seat stadium for two to four years down the line.

You could set things up to really play with deficit spending: give yourself a 500k debt to be paid out over 30 years, a 500k bank balance :D, and, say, a 250k transfer budget. The challenge, then, is "Can you get the team up the league high enough to start turning a profit, or do you burn through the loan proceeds and wind up hemorrhaging money.

If you want a tremendous challenge, set things up with the same 500k debut, but a balance just barely positive, say, 50k, and no transfer budget. Somebody else has left the team hemorrhaging money, and they've turned to you to save it...

As for players .. "start with none" can be a very fun challenge, bringing in your own players for an entire team. (Remember, you can always offer contracts to your gray players .. in fact, when I play a "start with none" campaign, one of my rules for myself is that, to be able to play a gray player in a competitive match, I have to offer him a contract.)

if you decide to create your own, you might go with a couple movie-esque archetypes: give yourself four to five players, like a veteran midfield leader in the waning days of his career to be your captain, or a hard-tackling aggressive defender who will draw a lot of fouls but may also function as an enforcer.

You could even give yourself the "manager's dilemma" problem: set up a just-turned-16-year-old with a Premier League quality PA, but barely-better-than-BSN-quality CA. Make your club a favorite club of his, but also give him one or two others .. say, Man U and Barcelona, or something like that. As you and your team get better, you'll start to get offers for him .. and the dilemma of course is that you know he's got a great future ahead of him. Do you cash him in for the money, or do you try to keep him at the club and build around him?

There's plenty of stories out there to tell .. pick one that appeals to you! :D

I have to agree with Ched those are some great ideas amaroq, thanks!

I think i'm going to try and encorporate quite a few of them. Just one question, if you create a couple of players I take it there still will be some greyed out players in your squad?

Ever since reading the 'Bandits' thread on a different FM forum, things like this have greatly intrigued me. This has rekindled my interest. If/when I get bored of my current Liverpool game, I may try something like this. I would probably create around 5 players myself, all different, in terms of CA, PA, personality attributes, positions, etc. And then, as the guy who made the 'Bandits' did, follow their careers, etc. He proved that personality attributes, i.e. Loyalty, are hugely important. He made a whole squad of players at a LL club (the Bandits), 20 of which had good personality attributes, 2 of which had bad. The 2 'bad' players never made anything of their careers, whereas all of the 20 others played for big clubs. (All players had very high PA)

Balance, I would make similar to teams in the same division. Same goes for transfer budget, although perhaps slightly higher considering I'd have less real players. Reputation I would make slightly lower than most teams in the division.

I'm just trying to start a game but i'm having problems with some of the finances. The values given in the game are nothing like the ones i've set in the editor:

i.e the wage value is completely different and also i set it to have a 500k loan debt but its only given me a 1k one lol.

Anybody got any ideas?

Hmm i don't see why that would make this happen tho? My reputation is set at 1200 which is pretty similar to the other clubs in the league.

I know I can just change the values once i've started the game with FMM but i was just wondering why the vales I put into the editor were completely different from what I get when i start the game?

Archived