benefit of criticising referees?

Hi Everyone,

Fairly often the media will approach me about a foul or an offside decision that disallowed a goal, and ask if I think the decision was right or wrong. I've learned my lesson and nowadays I just refuse to comment, as saying I thought the decision was wrong/ref was blind etc, only leads to FA warnings, an upset board and eventual touchline bans.

Aside from blowing off steam, has anyone noticed any benefits of criticising the referee after a blatantly poor decision? The best I've managed to get out of it has been a satisfying "The FA has been suspiciously quiet following so&so's comments about the controversial decision". Is it possible to have a positive impact on the team morale or anything like that?

This is something I've always wondered so I'll be interested to see the response in here.

Personally, if there's a media comment about the awarding of a penalty or a straight red card I'll just leave "no comment" as there's no way for me to know if the decision was right or wrong. If the straight red card is a clear last man foul however I'll agree with the decision.

For offsides, (if there is complaints by one or any of the players) I'll closely watch the replay and make my decision on what comment to make based on that. Even if it does occasionally result in a touchline ban.

I don't know if my approach is correct though so I'll see what the response is and maybe change my ways of dealing with this based on what the feedback throws up.

I've seen players with a "thinks the manager is right to speak his mind", but that's about as far as it goes IIRC. Don't think it really affects morale because it only seems to be a select few that like an outspoken manager, some don't like it and think the manager has acted unprofessionally.

I've seen players with a "thinks the manager is right to speak his mind", but that's about as far as it goes IIRC. Don't think it really affects morale because it only seems to be a select few that like an outspoken manager, some don't like it and think the manager has acted unprofessionally.

That.

10characters.

Basically the absolute best it does is improve the morale of 1 player who likes you speaking your mind, but you are just as likely to decrease the morale of the player if he doesn't like you stirring up controversy so apart from the joy that comes from just blowing your stack for the sake of it the rewards are minimal and far outweighed by the far more likely downsides.

And I think it helps build a better relationship with the manager.

And I think it helps build a better relationship with the manager.

Indeed, I seemed to achieve favourred personnel status quicker with players who shared the same outspoken approach. However, as Glamdring says, in the same way it affected my relationship with other players and my star midfielder was always disappointed and never added me to his list.

That's the worst part about all these media related things. I say before every match now that we mustn't get complacent or it'll be up to us to stop them or whatever the option is when the media ask how I think we will do because it seems the least catastrophic. Every time I say I think we can win today the same players throw a wobbler every time making it a totally infeasible option unless I want to sell a key player just because every single game he gets nervous when I say I think we should win!

It may only be my superstition, but whenever I criticise the ref and the FA is silent over it, because of the tension I create, I think in the next games (if the ref is a rookie) I get some decisions in favor of me in some critical situations.

there is no benefit from it, and you're more likely to upset your own players than you are to make them happy. best to ignore it imo... although sometimes, im that annoyed at a decision, i do it anyways, regardless of the consequences!!

its pretty pointless. All i do is refuse to comment.

Also likewise, is there any point of appealing against a red card???? Tried it many times and all i get is maybe a longer suspension.

I feel like I have had a red card revoked, but I honestly can't remember if that's definately this version or not.

I have had a red card revoked on 07 but it's very rare. I think it's worth checking offside decisions closely and if it was wrong, saying so as it does tend to get a few players rallying round you. otherwise best off just hitting no comment

Archived