Releasing players for the Olympic Games...

In light of Barca's bid to stop Messi going to the games in China (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/football/7518008.stm)

If they suceed would that mean we could finally be able to withdraw any player called up in FM09? Whenever I go a top team from the beginning I always get bummered by 5 or 6 call ups in the 2nd season, and most are 1st team members.

Even if he's told to attend I still don't think its fair the game calls as many players up to the squads as it wants. A friend of mine lost 9 of his 1st team squad members to the olympics. I've never seen a team lose more than 2 or 3 in RL, especially a big club.

In light of Barca's bid to stop Messi going to the games in China (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/football/7518008.stm)

If they suceed would that mean we could finally be able to withdraw any player called up in FM09? Whenever I go a top team from the beginning I always get bummered by 5 or 6 call ups in the 2nd season, and most are 1st team members.

Even if he's told to attend I still don't think its fair the game calls as many players up to the squads as it wants. A friend of mine lost 9 of his 1st team squad members to the olympics. I've never seen a team lose more than 2 or 3 in RL, especially a big club.

im pretty sure if you have something like 4 or 5 people called up you dont have to play those games until you have less than that amount of people called up if that makes sense...

thats what happened to me as liverpool with rafinha, lucas, babel and a few others in my first team squad whos names escape me at the moment

Never had posponements in my games, i've always had to make due with who I had left over at the time. It would be naff losing 3, 4 games moved forward every few years as that has a knock-on effect of a different sort too. Especially if taking part in the UEFA Cup.

Barca win ruling over Messi case

"Barcelona have won their appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (Cas) to keep Argentina's Lionel Messi out of the Olympic football tournament.

Cas ruled that Messi, 21, as well as Werder Bremen's Diego and Rafinha of Schalke - both Brazilians - can be prevented from playing in the Games.

The clubs argued that the Olympics was not part of the international calendar."

Full item: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/football/7518008.stm

So, will that mean we can withdraw all players now from this in FM 09?

Well actually the coach of the Argentinian Olympics squad, Sergio Batista, has just announced that he will play Messi NO MATTER WHAT, and that Messi will DEFINITELY not be going back to Barcelona before the end of the tournament (as he already is in China). He released this statement after the CAS-case.

Unfortunately I only have a Dutch link to this statement so it wont be much use here, but I'll post it anyway.

http://voetbalzone.nl/doc.asp?uid=64104

This brings up an interesting point about international call ups in FM

It has been my experience in previous versions the game that if a team goes out of the competition, my players have been stuck on 'INT' until after the final has been played. Now, in real life, players come home once no longer needed, and are available for selection.

I haven't played FM08 in some time, so am not sure if this was changed for that - but if not - do we feel this is something that should be changed for future incarnations?

I'd expect it'll be in the first patch as the main codes will have been finalised a while ago for FM09.

I suspect it will really annoy the players if they are withdrawn for the competition. Messi ain't happy. So although you'll probably be able to do it, you probably shouldn't unless you really have to.

Perhaps a comment like "PLAYER X is delighted to be called up to the Olympic squad" or "PLAYER X is disappointed at having to leave his club in the lurch" so you know how he'll react to a withdrawal.

I had just started the second season as Man Utd. I was left without Sergio Ramos, Ronaldo, Nani, Veloso, and Anderson for a Community Shield match v Arsenal! Luckily managed to win 3-1 thanks to Rooney and Vidic.

I splashed out a record £62m on a player.

He got called up to play in the olympics and missed the start of the season.

His nation gets to the final and he picks up an injury in the final and is out for 4 months. I was not happy.

I'd welcome the option to withdraw players.

Archived