Player Interaction - suggestions

International interaction

*)Unsuccesful international players. ''[player] fails to impress'' after a bad game. Possible answers: a) his performance was really awful and he will certainly be replaced with someone else. b) I understand fans concern but unfortunately we have no better candidate for this position c) the team we faced was much better than our and it is unfair to judge player's performance in this situation d) I trust in this player and I hope he will do better next time

*)Succesful international players. ''[player] steps into pivotal role'' after a good game. Possible answers similar to the ones available when commenting a recent signing in his debut game.

Some more international options would be excellent - i've recently capped chirs greenacre (of tranmere fame) for england and nobody had cared, a media comment along the lines of "why the hell did the manager do this?" would be much loved :D

I like it, uusinjsh, even if I have no idea how to pronounce your login. ;)

Another Player Interaction I'd like to see is the ability to "woo" players of mixed nationality.

For example, I'm manging Nigeria at the moment, and I'm having trouble filling out the Under-19 team because most of my promising youth have dual nationality and are waiting to see if they can break into the France, Italy, or England setups.

I'd love to have several things to say to them:

"Suggest that X make himself available for the Nigeria Under-19 squad so that he can demonstrate his skills to the England manager and his club manager." - if the player is amenable, he might make himself eligible, but only for Nigeria Under-19s .. I wouldn't be able to "Call Up" to the Under-21 or Senior sides.

"Suggest that X would reach the international stage quicker if he joins the Nigeria set-up than he would by waiting for the England manager to notice him." - The player might respond to this by declaring himself eligible for the Under-19s as above, declaring himself eligible for all three squads, rebuffing your advances outright, or by saying he still wants to wait and see.

"Tell X that he has no chance of breaking into the England setup, and that he could further his career by joining Nigeria" - The high-risk play. Some personality types (realist, for example) might agree with you. Others might decide that they hate you and declare their intention never to join Nigeria while you are in charge.

"State that you think X is a player of tremendous talent (potential) which the England manager is squandering." - The flip-side risk play. You give the player a slight reputation bump, and he might well decide that he has such potential, England will surely call him up. On the other side, you might have flattered him sufficiently that he joins Nigeria so that he has a chance to work with you.

"Suggest that young X would have a regular place in the Senior side if he were to declare for Nigeria." - Essentially a manager promise of playing time, not just once, but frequently and in competitive matches. (Currently, I have players whom I've capped at the Senior level once, at age 18, and then relegated to the U-19s and U-21s, which feels sleazy .. I'd kind of like the players to recognize that it was sleazy and get on me about it! Failure to follow through on this promise would be that way.) Possible responses would be to excitedly make self available, to state that he doesn't want to commit to a nation yet, or to state that he has no intention of giving up on his dream to play for England at this time.

"State that you appreciate X's desire to play for England, but suggest that he contact you if he gives up on his dream." - The most polite of the options, basically no pressure, no chance of immediate reward .. but it might make the player slightly more willing to give up on England and declare for Nigeria a ways down the road.

If you're really building out this module, all of these might prompt possible responses from the England manager:

"Promise X a call-up at the earliest opportunity" - What it says on the tin. Failure to follow through might lead the player to abandon hope of an England call-up.

"Promise X a call-up in the next friendly" - less attractive to the player. He only rates a friendly? Are you just trying to lock him in long-term?

"Promise to give X a chance to prove himself in the Under-19s/Under-21s" - what it says on the tin. Of course, the player is going to take it as a promise of a senior call-up if he performs well in the U-19s/U-21s, so a) you may see him put in very determined performances for a bit, and b) he may get disillusioned if he puts in good performances and isn't subsequently rewarded for it.

"Tell X that you have your eye on him and that he needs to be patient" - riskier .. its not a promise, so the player might bolt to the guy who is promising something .. but it might reassure some players, and some might even build it *into* a promise in their minds. (I've seen this happen with teenagers IRL, they often interpret things as what they wanted to hear rather than what was said.)

"Suggest that the experience of joining Nigeria Under-19s would help X to further his career" - A polite way of saying "Look, kid, you're not going to crack our Under-19s, why don't you go play with Nigeria and maybe if you develop a bit we'll take a look at you in the U-21s".

"State that X has no part in your current plans." - "Yeah, umm.. I've never heard of you. Why do I care if you go play for Nigeria?"

Also, for players considering, say, Croatian citizenship:

"Suggest that X would have a place in your first-team if he were to adopt Croatian citizenship." - As above, a manager-promise of extended playing time in competitive matches. If the player is willing to give up on playing for his home nation, he would almost certainly be tempted to adopt citizenship to come play for you.

"Suggest that you would call X up at the next friendly if he were to adopt Croatian citizenship." - If the player would accept your call-up, he might be more tempted to adopt citizenship .. but if he would expect a starring role, he might be put off that you think he only rates a friendly.

"Suggest that X would get a chance to prove himself in the Under-21s/Under-19s if he were to adopt Croatian citizenship" - Similar but for younger players

"Suggest that X would have no place in your plans for Croatia" - I'm not sure why you'd want to dissuade a player from adopting citizenship .. maybe he plays for your club team's main rivals and you don't want to make it easier for them? ;)

So ..

Yeah! I like the idea!

some quality suggestions in here, especially liking the idea of "wooing" a player to a specific nation, and hopefully encouraging them to take citizenship so you can call them up. a big :thup: to both of you!!

There is one more thing: a lot of potentially great players (at least from Ghana that I am managing) are playing for bad local clubs? Maybe we could advice players to look for a better club if they want to get in NT or smth like that.

Thanks for the pronunciation guide. :D I knew the j was a y, but I wasn't sure what to make of the rest of it!

There is one more thing: a lot of potentially great players (at least from Ghana that I am managing) are playing for bad local clubs? Maybe we could advice players to look for a better club if they want to get in NT or smth like that.

Yeah, that would be huge, along the lines of telling a player he needs to break into the first team.

Something like, if you were managing a foreign country or in a foreign country and a player playing for you in the national team or in the same league as you was linked with a move to your country, you could say, "I think it would do player y the world of good to play in country x", or "I don't think player y would benefit from playing in country x".

Archived