Worst Signing Ever...

Seen as everybody likes to rave about Lubos Kalouda and Bogdan Stancu and Mika and the likes of those, why not start a worst ever signing?

Mine is definitely Henrik Larsson. :) He is on 20k a week on my Leicester game in the year 2009 and he cant hit a cows effing backside. Good job Ashley Chambers is climbing through the ranks...

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i signed a Czech under 21 striker for my recently promoted (to the premiership) Southampton team. in the 17 games he played that season he scored 4 goals. cost me £6million which took up most of my budget :(

Back in FM05 I signed a really talented Central African guy for my Häcken team. The guy never really settled, went twice on leave for personal reasons, and then decided to call it quits at the ripe old age of 22. :mad:

On the 6 or how many games he played, he was quality.

On FM07, while playing as Everton, I signed Richard Duffy for £2M plus £5M after international appearances with 30% sell on. He was quite possibly the worst player I've ever had on FM, averaging less than six for the season, and scoring a number of own goals. I only bought him when I lost both Hibbert and Neville to long term injuries, and he single handedly almost cost me a European spot in my first season, and annoying made the requirement for internationals, before I sold him for £1M.

On FM 08, Carlos Idiress Kameni. He may be the Cameroon national keeper and his stats may be good, but he made some absolute howlers in goal for me. Terrible purchase.....

In 2013 having left Newcastle and joined Juve i needed to make a big defensive signing and i was unable to find a good deal for a good player until deadline day...were I panicked and paid £26mil for Andreolli he was 28 at the time i think with great looking stats, i thought he would be an immovable object, signing him at a good age to get his best performances.....

Oh i couldnt of been more wrong! He was Awful! and it wasnt tactics...all my other defenders were solid...and all he did was mess up...and make things far too complicated for himself...

Total waste of money...thank god i still did a domestic double...fluked it i guess with him in the team...

Jaime Moreno. Bought him off the waiver list when I was at Rapids, he, Casey and Cummings were the strike force.

Didn't get a rating above 5 and never even came close to scoring, Casey and Cummings only scored three between them. Thanks to my bad judgement, I'm now managing in Wales.

He's not a bad signing, but I signed a goalie at the beginning of last season and with four games left he hasn't played once for me, and the idiot has, for some unknown reason, of which I will never know why, given me a transfer request!

Plus, in my first season I signed 23 free players, most of which were rubbish and have nearly all been sold!

In FM07 I spent £3.5m on Joey Didulica from AZ for my team that had just been promoted to Premiership. Ignorant of the fact that pace and acceleration are among the most important attributes for keepers in FM I thought that with his impressive technical and mental stats he would be a really solid addition, one that would excel while his experience would be a good thing to have with a team quite young and new to such a high level.

Well he only got on about 4 or 5 times, conceding more than 3 goals on average and was outplayed by a keeper that I'd had in my team since we were in L2. Only good thing about this farce was that after I sold him on to Wigan he continued his outstanding form whenever I played them, thus I was guaranteed a big score win every time they were daft enough to play him against me :)

Manuel Fischer!! 4 seasons as top scorer for VFB and always did well against my Bayern team so I signed him for £9m, he scored 3 goals in 30 starts in his first season then spent two seasons on loand at Liverpool before signing for them for £4m. He just top scored in the Cl :(

FM 2008 Pander sgned from Shalke 7 injuries and 2 red cards saw him play 5 games for the club thats a cool 1mil per game, then sold for free so i didnt have to see his Darren Anderton/Roy Kean face again!!

Wow there, I always start out as Bayern Munich and at the end of the first season I always sign up Pander on a free, the mans a legend in my save and has been keeping out a "world class" Marcell Jansen recently, he gets plenty of goals from free kicks etc too.

spent £22 million on ciprian marica on fm08 after he scored 34 goals in 36 games or something for his german club. he scored 7 goals all season for me in his first season and 10 goals in 13 games the next which is quite good but i then sold him to portsmouth for £10 million and hes banging them in for them :@

Sebastian Giovinco, signed for £18,000,000 and was shocking. Terrible average rating and very few goals. To top that it was the most I spent on a player in that particular game even though I was Arsenal with an almighty budget.

Sebastian Giovinco, signed for £18,000,000 and was shocking. Terrible average rating and very few goals. To top that it was the most I spent on a player in that particular game even though I was Arsenal with an almighty budget.

Sebastian Giovinco :eek:....He was unbelievalbe for my Villarreal Team...He won the League single handed on my game!..before he broke his leg:(

My worst signing was Yaya Toure for 25 million for Bayern Munich....The idoit couldn't do nothing and his stats are quite good but always seem to make mistakes in big games (example - Last Minute penalty in a CL Final against AC Milan which i dominated the game!:mad:)

Stefan Kiessling from Leverkusen... took me forever to get a fee agreed with em, finally got him for £10m and went straight into the team because of an injury crisis. scored on his debut, and i thought "oh, maybe we'll be ok after all"... sadly that was the only goal he scored. signed 1st January for £10m, now its the following Jan, and he's rotting in the reserves, as he was so bad in the appearances he made from jan to may he scored once, got booked every other game, and didnt make any assists and now nobody wants him, not even for half what i paid!! :mad:

Value-wise, my worst is Messi for £62million -- aged 29!!!

God, I must have been desperate. He averaged more than 7 for the season but never really set the club alight. I kept him until he was 32 and when I realised he was averaging 6.5 by Christmas I flogged him for £4m to Stoke (who'd been in the prem the last 8 years and even made Europe, so it's not that unrealistic).

In terms of overall performances, I'd say my worst was Adriano. Although he only cost me £5million, he was too inconsistent. Avg 6.75ish per season. First season got me maybe 12 goals, second season 28 (not bad), third season 10 goals. He didnt see a fourth.

Midway through 2009/2010 season and I am fortunate enough to say that, so far, all of my signings have been pretty successful for my Man. United team.

My worst purchase ever is £13m on FM06 for Fabrice Muamba, again as Man. United. He was young and playing very well for Norwich so I thought he'd turn into a decent player. He didn't.

He's not a bad signing, but I signed a goalie at the beginning of last season and with four games left he hasn't played once for me, and the idiot has, for some unknown reason, of which I will never know why, given me a transfer request!

Plus, in my first season I signed 23 free players, most of which were rubbish and have nearly all been sold!

1. It couldn't be because you're not playing him, could it :rolleyes:?

2. Yeah, that's why they were free.

On 07 I had an offer for Dave Kitson I couldn't turn down. I used the money plus the remainder of my budget to sign Landon Donovan and Collins John, both of whom always played well against me in other saves. In January, John had no goals, but fortunately Fulham were perpared to buy him back for £9.6m, over £2m more than I paid for him :D. Donovan had 4 goals and wasn't really good enough, so when Arsenal came in for £5m (£0.4m more than I paid for him) I was overjoyed.

Worst signing ever? John.

Seen as everybody likes to rave about Lubos Kalouda and Bogdan Stancu and Mika and the likes of those, why not start a worst ever signing?

Mine is definitely Henrik Larsson. :) He is on 20k a week on my Leicester game in the year 2009 and he cant hit a cows effing backside. Good job Ashley Chambers is climbing through the ranks...

You cant expect miracles from a 35/36 year old guy...

In this game save, Van der Vaart for £25m, he hasn't been awful or anything, but for the money I expected more than an average rating of 6.8 or thereabouts. Ribery for £35m has also been very average.

It must have been on CM 02/03 or maybe even earlier but I was Liverpool, had Fowler, Heskey and Owen and wanteda another really good striker for big money. Ended up spending 32 million on Christiano Lucarelli from Lecce it hink. His stats were awesome, and i thought YES i've got an awesome stiker here. On his debut i made him penalty taker as i do with most big fee strikers, to give them some confidence, i also put him in the team for a run of games. Between February and May he scored 2 penalties that was it, the next season i thought maybe he needed time to settle. 6 months on only 1 goal, i can't remember what happened to him. But definately my worst value for money signing.

I did a double!

Middle of season two with Pompey. Finished 6th previous season and this season I was 3rd in the Prem and in the League Cup Final. However I had a few suspensions and injuries without a big squad and was really missing (major goalscorer) Defoe and my Russian right winger who was awesome (Tej-something-or-other). I had been given money (£20m!!!) from the board who were loving my work ( :) ), so looked on the transfer list to get some immediate joy.

Found two 'pearlers' (so I thought). Landan Donovan at Villareal was listed by request at £5.5m and Aaron Lennon at Spurs was also listed by request...worth £8m but listed at £11. they woudl be on big wages but...what the hey...they seemed to be similar players to those I had lost, buy them I thought!!!

So I put in the bids, it all goes smoothly and in my boys go in for the game against second bottom Norwich, who were shipping goals for fun. Both got a 6 (in a 1-0 win) but I dismissed it. Kept faith with them, continued to play them. Both utter garbage. Donovan had (I think) 5 goals and 1 assist in 20 or so matches, Lennon scored ONE goal with ONE assist...but to be fair his goal was class - took the ball on the wing and weaved around three people before slamming it far corner.

Pair of muppets! :(

Hmm i'd guess that my worst signing i've made was probably Leonardo Ponzio for £9m. For the stats he had and the scout rating, I thought he would be able to challenge with my right side and central midfielders in my Arsenal game. He played about 10 games for me and I ended up selling him for a low £1.5m to Everton at the end of the season.

I dont think it is because the player didnt perform but it is because they cant adapt to your team play style.....I think so like that....on FM07 I get Jari Litmanen for my swansea team but never up to the Championship standard...:( so sad

thankfully most of the players i have bought have done ok or great, except for one, I was playing as Coventry (patch 8.01) first season in the Championship - i sold most of there STs, so when january came round, I saw C.Killen on the TL from Celtic for £1M, jeez he was Terrible played something like 30-35 games for coventry, and score a massive 0.

Now i know £1M is not alot for a player, but with Coventry having little funds, and me only have two STs at that time, i blew all my avalible money on Killen, his stats looked alright aswell.

he was on a 3year-contract aswell on £10K per week, which he was my highest paid player at the time, treid selling him lots of times, not one club wanted him (cant really blame them) in the end, i had to let his contract run out - where he then joined Notts Forset on a free. which he was awful there too - they were in league one aswell.

So yeah Chris Killen from Celtic - my worst signing on FM ever, in fact he is my worst buy on any manager game.

• 1 month later...

Raul Garcia!!!:thdn: Playing as Inter (FM2007) in my 5th season there. Needed an ATTMID. His mental and technical stats seemed to fit the bill, but at £28M from R.Madrid and only 3 assists and 1 goal in 27 matches he was back on the transfer list and off to Barca for £31M. Can now see why Madrid sold him in the first place

Can't remember the name of the players but...

On FM07 I was managing Valencia and in my 3rd season I had a really strong side apart from CB.

So I blew my entire budget (about £25Million or something) on 2 very good CB's.

One of them was injured in pre-season (and was out for the entire season), whereas the other one (English.. Might have been Dawson) had "Personal Problems" and kept going on leave, never really settling in the side.

I was left playing Youth CB's for most of the season and slipped out of Title and Continental contention.

...Cost me my job, those 2 bastards. :D

Nihat atm... Paid his minimum release fee of around £15 mill. (not sure as I play with danish currency), and so far he's been pretty worthless. But I suspect that I'm doing something wrong, or that he needs time to adjust to english football, cus he's immense for Turkey. So I'll give it some time.

Thiago Motta was actually a pretty good signing for me :p Bought for US$2.3 million, now worth US$8.5M, but this is not the thread to boast about your signings :p

My worst signing ever was the (re)signing of Kenny Miller...I need to somehow get rid of his US$3.4 million a year contract but no one wants him:(

Also signed a Brazilian regen but I don't think he will ever get a work permit. $1.4 million down the toilet.:(

You kidding me?

On my game (I'm playing with Juve and Italy in 2017), he's had the following stats:

National caps: 90

National goals: 63

(this as an AMC)

Total club apps: 239

Total club goals: 114

Total club assists: 62

Total club MoM: 36

Average rating between 2008-2016: 7.26, 6.91 his worst season (the first), 7.55 his best.

That, and keeping in mind that he usually gets above 80 % in passing completion and above 70 % of his shots on target, I could hardly imagine he'd be a fluke anywere :o

An Italian regen striker in FM05 i think it was. Bought him for around $100AU million. 1st friendly match he punched a ref even after we where leading 3-0, banned for something like 8 months, comes off the ban, 1st official game, breaks his leg, out for another 8 months, after a couple of years of violence and injuries, sold on the cheap, big waste of money but a player i will never forget. Was a brilliant player when he wasn't banned or injured.

Probably some Moroccan who i signed for £50K only because i was in his favored personel from my 6 games at Morocco. he played one game and got a 1 rating in the 60 minutes he was on the park. Never again will i sign such a cheap player for a title winning Rangers side.

Mario Gomez for £17.5 million to be paid over 24 months for Werder Bremen was clearly my worst signing of FM08 (I made worse in FM07, but with a Derby team who were sloshing in cash so it didn't matter). He was naff upfront and I almost released him on a free transfer 6 months later, but controlled my rage and sold him for £8 million instead to get his vast wages off my bill and try to expunge the memory of my failure. Sadly I am still paying large amounts each month for the next 6 months even though he is now banging goals in for Real Betis :p

As for Sebastian Giovinco whom someone mentioned. I sold Adrian Mutu on the cheap at Fiorentina specifically so I could pay £16 million for Giovinco and I haven't regretted it. If I wanted to (I don't) I could get my money back from Juventus who are very keen to re-sign him now, 3 years after letting him go.

My worst was Klas-Jan Huntelaar. Now he wasn't a bad player but got injured for 6 months in his first game. Came back, injured 2 games after until end of the season. Was injured AGAIN in European Championships.

Then the icing on the cake was in January 2009, he came back from injury, so I used him sparingly on a special training program...he then complained about the lack of first team football and asked for a transfer.

He made 4 starts and 6 substitution appearances, scoring 2 goals in nearly 2 seasons at Man United. I sold him for less than half of what I paid. Lame!

Archived