Football Manager 07 OR 08???

I'm keen to get back into the football manager series after staying away for the past 4 years. Should I get 07 or 08? I know 08 might be more updated but I'm sure I can find an update for 07 and I heard the features in 07 are slightly better. So which is it?

Well you should get 08 so that you can be more accustomed to 09 when it comes out soon, and 07 does not really have better features but it's easier to win on 07, so maybe you would want to try that first...i don't know....but I'm playing 07 at the moment.

08 has better features. However it also has more issues, many of them fairly serious, depending on your playing style and expectations.

You should dl the demos to try out the match engines and main features. If the ones that 08 has over 07 are not that important to you and you prefer 07's engine, then go for that. I have them both, but I only got 08 after the 8.0.2 patch was released, on the cheap. 07 patched with 7.0.2 is a really good game and if I'd have to choose between it and 08 I'd probably go for 07.

Oh, and if you're into long term career games beware that 08's regens are messed up.

I have had all the FM and I did get hooked on 07 for some reason I don't know why

08 I have been least hook on out of the all maybe becuase I got a PS3 and been on that abit more

but saying that 08 has very good features

You could wait as 09 is around corner not long for news about it and I'm sure it will be the best yet (no pressure then SI :D)

so Its up to you I have not been on 07 for awhile its in a draw some where I'll mite have to dig it out to compare

08 is much better imo - it has problems, but the ME is by far the best yet produced.

On the whole, yes. However, as with the rest of the game, the ME in 08 also has more serious (and annoying) issues than 07. 08 2D engine has got the tempo of the game spot on - that is it's main strength. In 07 the matches were all played at a constant frantic pace, in 08 the tempo is varying, the players can take advantage of sudden changes of pace and it looks more realistic. However they also look less confident on the ball, make stupid mistakes too often and - the most annoying part - very often fail to make the obvious choices: attacking players can't spot the channels to run into and if they do the midfielders can't pick up the most obvious of passes and start doing 360 turns, refusing to pass. Players dwell on the ball all the time, defenders closing down looks very awkward and they don't seem to be able to decide when to tackle, the match stats too often look seriously unbalanced etc. This can sometimes lead to very frustrating game experience, other times it can look absolutely spot on though. 08's engine has tons of potential but it can also look incredibly sloppy and unfinished at times.

FM 08 has better features, but is too bug ridden such as confidence, regens and the sheer amount of goals scored which just does not make it realistic. (Many score over/ conceed 100+ per season in the league).

FM 07 has worse features, but for what it is, it's pretty spot on unlike FM 08.

Overall, I haven't touched 08 since Feb, 07 wins it by miles for me.

For me, it's FM07. As much as fm08 as pretty cool and new features, it is too buggy for my taste. First of Confidence, regen, many goals. the transfers and among other things. The players usually makes stupid mistakes in game, specially the FM08 unique feature that i like to call "butter hands" keeper.

FM07 is the way to go, but if you not so eager to buy a game and you can wait for one or two months. It would be in August that the first screens of FM09 will be out and in September or October that the demo will be available.

I love 07

08 is quite good still but 07 was awesome. The prob is though if you buy 07 then you might get confused with all the transfers compared to real life. Either way you should get both games for a very low price.

I love 07

08 is quite good still but 07 was awesome. The prob is though if you buy 07 then you might get confused with all the transfers compared to real life. Either way you should get both games for a very low price.

You can download updates for 07 :) I just downloaded one before I started a new career a few days ago, it has all the recent promotions/relegations and has the updated player transfers. Brilliant!

You can download updates for 07 :) I just downloaded one before I started a new career a few days ago, it has all the recent promotions/relegations and has the updated player transfers. Brilliant!

May I ask where you downloaded these updates please? as I'm still enjoying FM06 and may give FM07 another crack, TIA.

Neither - just wait for FM 2009. Hardly worth spending your money on a game that will likely be shelved in October.

Then again, they're both available for under £10 now. Ten quid for two to three months of game experience isn't all that steep really. And if you think about how 08 was nearly unplayable out of the box then I'm not sure buying 09 the day it comes out would be that great of an idea either. I'm certainly going to wait until the first major patch at least before I think about buying it.

07. I like 1 or 2 of the new features for 08, but the ME is better, there aren't as many bugs, tactics are easier (far easier) to sort out, and (not that it matters) the football is more entertaining.

May I ask where you downloaded these updates please? as I'm still enjoying FM06 and may give FM07 another crack, TIA.

The latest data update for FM 06 is the January 2007 transfer window so you might want to give that one a miss...

If you are going to have another crack at 07 then download the update I did that is located at the bottom of this page...

http://www.sortitoutsi.net/index.php?page=downloads&area=listfiles&catid=106&game=fm2007

I really wanted to love FM08, but eventually cracked and went back to FM07.

Board confidence is just a mess in FM08, regens are flawed and no wonderkids come through as all players develop in the same slow, static, way. Player valuations are even sillier than in FM07, in that clubs bid for your 7mn rated key striker at value but want £30mn for their own same-rated player. And the match engine, although an improvement tempo wise, is far more frustrating to watch (defenders cant defend, decisions are poor and silly mistakes occur every match).

FM07 does a little less, but what it does it does better IMO.

The thing with FM08 is, I think it was a necessary step in the long-term, as they have started developing a multi-paced match engine, and developing nuances in board and fan confidence which could be great. Its quite exciting actually when you think what these things will be like with some years of tweaking.

They just didnt have the time to finish it for FM08 - hopefully FM09 will concentrate on smoothing these things out.

Funnily enough, after making my last post, I've gone back to 08 today, downloaded a yummy skin called dDs 2.1 and made a simple 4-4-2 tactic that works consistently and responds to my instructions - at last! Top of the Blue Square South in September and back to getting completely sunk into a career. Tried 07 last night and I stopped after a month's gametime, just couldn't stay focused on it. Funny that...

So it's FM08 for me! :D

i been playing fm2008 more then i played fm2007.

the most annoying thing with fm2008 with latest patch is the slow devolpment of youth players, altough it can be workedwith alot of tutoring/loans/first team play for 15-16 year olds. I have find that i gotta be alot more active in fm2008 to keep my edge with tactics and squad improvments each year.

fm2007 alotugh was very fun to and i remember me getting and super right wing back i had to sign to new deals all the team couse 15 clubs always wanted him. he was first team first pick at age of 18. Thats something i miss in fm2008 where young players isnt core or even close to have an important role untill they are 21-22 at least.

The devolpment of young players have always been the most fun part in this game for over 12 years for me and fm2008 is missing that. even though its spot on or best version of the game in many other aspects.

fm 2008 realy just need better transfer system, better balanced team talks and better training/your player system and game will be totaly awesome. new feutures and better graphics is something it doesnt need at all.

I'd say '08 personally but it depends on what you're after. I'd say '07 is easier to master and have success in but '08 is a lot more rewarding once you do master it, and of course has many more features that you don't really notice until you go back to '07.

Archived